The Student Room Group

Can you book driving lessons before you have your provisional?

I applied for my provisional last week and sent the form back so it should be here next week at some point. The place I want to take driving lessons with have a pretty good offer on at the moment so can I book them now for a date after my provisional will have arrived? Or do they need your licence number to book the lessons?

you need it
Unfortunately, you cannot :frown: you must have a provisional license before you can legally drive with an instructor. :sadnod:

Edit: I am a fool :rofl:, of course you can book, just make sure you have your license on the day :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
You physically need to show the instructor your provisional license before you can learn to drive.
Nope. Your instructor will need to see it and they usually ask if you have it before you're even allowed to book the lessons
Reply 5
Original post by ACJHealy
I booked mine months before I had my provisional, months before I was 17, in fact. Just ensure you have on the day of your first lesson.

Great, just what I wanted to know. Thanks :smile:
Isn't it amazing how few people read the whole post before launching into a (wrong) answer. ACJHealy has it spot on!
People aren't reading the post :/...

Yes, you can book lessons. But if it isn't there on the day of your lesson... You wont be able to drive. You might be able to work something out with the instructor so that they can go over things verbally for the first lesson if it takes longer than expected for your license to arrive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by slazrazer
I applied for my provisional last week and sent the form back so it should be here next week at some point. The place I want to take driving lessons with have a pretty good offer on at the moment so can I book them now for a date after my provisional will have arrived? Or do they need your licence number to book the lessons?

To give you a proper answer after the cocksockets below all seemed to completely fail to read the question before giving you an answer.

Yes you can book lessons before you have your provisional, however obviously you will need to have it before you can actually do the lessons.

Not all driving schools will allow you to book without your provisional though, some will refuse to allow it but most should be fine with it.
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies. Booked the lessons for the week starting March 7th so hopefully the driving licence will be here by then. Thanks again :smile:
You can book, but just make sure you have your provisional on you on the day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hey, I'm sorry to break it to ya but you'll be waiting a few month before you even get your provisional licence 🙁 I applied for mine about 7 weeks ago and still haven't got it and yes you do need it before you can take any lessons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending