The Student Room Group

Finishing uni... with no plan?

I don't know what grads do - I don't know what to do once I finish uni. I had thought I'd have a job lined up but I don't.

I applied for some things, got rejected after the very final stage. Got rejected from another after the tests (surprisingly, as I usually pass, for much more reputable institutions). I'm waiting to hear interview dates for one last one, but it's extremely competitive...
I only recently figured out what I'd like to do, so missed most of the deadlines.

I just don't understand what I'm meant to do. I foresee finishing uni this year, poxy stupid degree and no purpose or future ascertained after that.
After all the work I've put in, and all the extra stuff I do that should've helped me, I hadn't expected to be left in such a miserable position.

Any guidance or experiences would be much appreciated. I don't know what to do or who to ask.

[& before anyone asks, anon because I feel utterly pathetic and I don't want my identity associated with that...]
Do a postgrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by donutaud15
Do a postgrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way could I continue education, have no incentive to do a postgrad, nor do I desire to stay within the university system. All I want is to finish uni and be out working and starting my life.
Not to mention that a postgrad in Law seems futile... Thanks though.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I only recently figured out what I'd like to do, so missed most of the deadlines.

Get a job for now (preferably one that will give you relevant experience) and apply at the next cycle?
Dont panic. Life isnt a race. I would focus on getting the best degree you can and enjoying what you have left of uni.

If you have time left, then you need to go and vist your careers service. they will have a number of programs which you can try to identify careers that might suit you. the key is to identufy soemthing that you would enjoy doing in a job. You are more likely to succeed doing a job that uses the skills you like and are good at.

The careers service will ahve a number of books to help you identuf a possible careers. You already seemed to have joined the milkround and are interviewing already. Try not to sleepwalk into a job. You cna also spend further time on improving application and interviewing skills. You will need these for life.

When you finish then if you have the money and time take a holiday. If not go home find any job to finance you and start spending time researching employers and careers. For any job you need a good application and interview skills. If you cnat get a job, then volunteering is good. Dont panic.
Original post by Anonymous
No way could I continue education, have no incentive to do a postgrad, nor do I desire to stay within the university system. All I want is to finish uni and be out working and starting my life.
Not to mention that a postgrad in Law seems futile... Thanks though.

You don't have to do a postgrad in Law. Could be absolutely anything. Though I can see what you mean about having had enough of uni.

Carry on applying for jobs. Worse comes to worse find a minimum wage job and apply for your dream job next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you have done an LLB and dont want to carry on into the profession?
Reply 7
Original post by Shumaya
Get a job for now (preferably one that will give you relevant experience) and apply at the next cycle?

I suppose should it come down to it, that's what I'll have to do. Even finding something relevant seems equally difficult currently. But thanks, I may need to.

Original post by 999tigger
Dont panic. Life isnt a race. I would focus on getting the best degree you can and enjoying what you have left of uni.

If you have time left, then you need to go and vist your careers service. they will have a number of programs which you can try to identify careers that might suit you. the key is to identufy soemthing that you would enjoy doing in a job. You are more likely to succeed doing a job that uses the skills you like and are good at.

The careers service will ahve a number of books to help you identuf a possible careers. You already seemed to have joined the milkround and are interviewing already. Try not to sleepwalk into a job. You cna also spend further time on improving application and interviewing skills. You will need these for life.

When you finish then if you have the money and time take a holiday. If not go home find any job to finance you and start spending time researching employers and careers. For any job you need a good application and interview skills. If you cnat get a job, then volunteering is good. Dont panic.

That's what I've been doing up until now, but the realisation is creeping in that in not too many months I will "run out" of plans.
I think, I might have found what I'd like to do (Risk/ Consulting, for reference), though there's scope to change I suppose, so I shall have a think.

Thank you :h:

Original post by donutaud15
You don't have to do a postgrad in Law. Could be absolutely anything. Though I can see what you mean about having had enough of uni. Carry on applying for jobs. Worse comes to worse find a minimum wage job and apply for your dream job next year. Posted from TSR Mobile

I did not know that! But sadly, don't really enjoy uni enough as is to do more!
But thanks, I'll keep trying.

So you have done an LLB and dont want to carry on into the profession?

Almost done with it, yes. And indeed, decided against pursuing legal stuff last year.
What sort of risk? Risk manager/ financial risk/ insurance?

If you wnat to be a risk manager then think of joining the appropriate professional association.
Reply 9
What sort of risk? Risk manager/ financial risk/ insurance?

If you wnat to be a risk manager then think of joining the appropriate professional association.

Well in particular what I found most interesting & suitable was risk / regulation side, which is what I have my final application going for (Deloitte Risk Advisory). Seemed to go well with law.

Quick Reply

Latest