The Student Room Group

Homeless people's begging stories

I was queueing at the ATM and a homeless woman asked for some change, I gave her £2.20. Then when I got there and put my card in, she started telling me a story about how she's not from here, and she's from Ireland (but had an English accent). There was a lot of traffic, so I couldn't really hear her. Amongst her mumbling I heard 'being held hostage'?!, then I asked her, what does she want. She said she needed £25 pounds to spend a night at a B&B, I was like 'No, sorry I'm a student, I can't give out that much', then she started crying. I took my cash and went, then she started following me, crying 'Please help me, I'm begging you'. I ran into tesco which was close by, luckily she didn't come inside. I felt scared as hell that she might steal my wallet.
I suppose she could have just needed it to stay at a B&B, but one can never know for sure what she intended to do with the money.

What are the strange begging stories you've heard from homeless people?

Scroll to see replies

I've never heard a story from a homeless person but there's a homeless guy near my Uni who has a dog and while he is definitely homeless he clearly takes such good care of the dog so I'm happy to give him money :smile:
Original post by Blondie987
I've never heard a story from a homeless person but there's a homeless guy near my Uni who has a dog and while he is definitely homeless he clearly takes such good care of the dog so I'm happy to give him money :smile:

Yeah of course, when you definitely know someone is in need you can help them :smile:
Original post by Eternalflames
Yeah of course, when you definitely know someone is in need you can help them :smile:

Yeah, I know where you're coming from as unfortunately there are people out there who would take advantage but it's really sad that there are genuine people who still need help :redface:
in France they did this gold ring trick, I don't know if the woman was homeless but her and a young boy came over to me and my nana, and said excuse me you dropped this, my nana said no that's not ours, and the woman says oh okay well you have it anyway and put it in my nanas hand. My nana says a few things like thank you or something along those lines and turns to leave, but the woman stops us and says but do you have a couple of euros to buy my son a coke?
Then my nana just totally turned and was like 'no go away' and just dragged me off and shouted at her to not follow us, I was younger and didn't understand why she was being so cold to the woman and she explained to me that the ring was fake and she knew they would carry on asking for other things until it gets to a tenner or twenty, she'd seen people do it before where they offer various fake valuables for just the price of a coke, but then they ask for a bus fare and money for a sun hat ect. ect.
It happened to us like three other times while we were there as well as other tricks.
Reply 5
It's a norm in London nowadays.

Last week, a fairly old woman came upto begging for money "to buy candles for church prayers" and came closer to me and I just steadfastly walked on, after walking ahead she walked behind me crying and wailing. Did not look back.

****ing idiots infesting our streets.
Original post by Windies
It's a norm in London nowadays.

Last week, a fairly old woman came upto begging for money "to buy candles for church prayers" and came closer to me and I just steadfastly walked on, after walking ahead she walked behind me crying and wailing. Did not look back.

****ing idiots infesting our streets.

yeah I agree but then on the other hand I think it would be so embarrassing to beg on the streets, and if they're doing it then, even if they aren't homeless, they must be at least struggling and really need the money to stoop to that level.
or maybe it's just greed I dunno.
Best thing is to give them food, don't know what addictions they could be fuelling with the money...it's funny when they go on about being hungry but then refuse food...ok m8.

That is a form of animal cruelty, as you cannot put a dog through that experience.
Original post by Blue_Mason
That is a form of animal cruelty, as you cannot put a dog through that experience.

It's healthy, he has shelter and he is clearly able to take good care of it, I've walked past them for the past year and a half and the dog has never once looked underfed or unhealthy
I was queueing at the ATM and a homeless woman asked for some change, I gave her £2.20. Then when I got there and put my card in, she started telling me a story about how she's not from here, and she's from Ireland (but had an English accent). There was a lot of traffic, so I couldn't really hear her. Amongst her mumbling I heard 'being held hostage'?!, then I asked her, what does she want. She said she needed £25 pounds to spend a night at a B&B, I was like 'No, sorry I'm a student, I can't give out that much', then she started crying. I took my cash and went, then she started following me, crying 'Please help me, I'm begging you'. I ran into tesco which was close by, luckily she didn't come inside. I felt scared as hell that she might steal my wallet.

I suppose she could have just needed it to stay at a B&B, but one can never know for sure what she intended to do with the money.

What are the strange begging stories you've heard from homeless people?

Smh you must never give homeless people money, as you're putting yourself in danger.
Homeless people are mentally ill, and can be very dangerous
It's healthy, he has shelter and he is clearly able to take good care of it, I've walked past them for the past year and a half and the dog has never once looked underfed or unhealthy

Most of the time, the dogs look bored or depressed.
I seen one guy yank the dog chain and force the dog to be obedient.
I disapprove of homeless people being allowed to have pets
Most of the time, the dogs look bored or depressed.
I seen one guy yank the dog chain and force the dog to be obedient.
I disapprove of homeless people being allowed to have pets

Well thank you for your opinion:smile:
Smh you must never give homeless people money, as you're putting yourself in danger.
Homeless people are mentally ill, and can be very dangerous

A few coins are okay but not all homeless people are dangerous. About two weeks ago, a homeless guy walked into McDonalds and asked me to buy him a cheeseburger, he ordered it and I paid. He just wanted food
Well thank you for your opinion:smile:

More people share my opinion, but are afraid to admit.
How can you let a dog freeze in this weather?
Ot just goes to show you in how greedy people can be.
A few coins are okay but not all homeless people are dangerous. About two weeks ago, a homeless guy walked into McDonalds and asked me to buy him a cheeseburger, he ordered it and I paid. He just wanted food

We have a benefit system in place to prevent such hardships, as Britain is not a third world country.
That man is entitled to job seekers, so he should not be begging in the streets, and I think it is disgusting for a grown man to be asking a young student for a cheeseburger.
There used to be this guy at my bus stop who would ask people for bus fare money. Since he was completely ignored, I did proceed to pay for his bus fare on more than one occasion.

I then arrived at the bus stop very early on one of the days and basically saw that he was drunk. He said some rude things to me, so I stopped.

I don't even know if he was homeless?
In London on the underground (I've only seen it on the northern line so far as I use that every day), there are these homeless people who get on the train and they are holding up a sign saying something like "need money for food etc" or sometimes they are just holding a coffee cup and asking if any one can spare any change and they'll walk through the entire carriage and most people will feel obliged to give them something. Some of the time that is. I normally give them food though but they just take it and don't seem to be entirely grateful as someone who gives them a few pounds xD I see this at least once a week omw home! And this one homeless person said "I need money to get to *says a place mumbly* where they can give me food and shelter for the night" which confused me because I mean he's already on the train?? So he must have a ticket already of some sort.
Original post by kandykissesxox
There used to be this guy at my bus stop who would ask people for bus fare money. Since he was completely ignored, I did proceed to pay for his bus fare on more than one occasion.

I then arrived at the bus stop very early on one of the days and basically saw that he was drunk. He said some rude things to me, so I stopped.

I don't even know if he was homeless?

They're professional beggars that prey on people, despite having food and a bed to sleep in, they beg.
If they're always in the same spot, you should know the they're pan handlers that use the same gimmick.
You should never feel the need to give your money to these people, as it is wrong.
We have a benefit system in place to prevent such hardships, as Britain is not a third world country.
That man is entitled to job seekers, so he should not be begging in the streets, and I think it is disgusting for a grown man to be asking a young student for a cheeseburger.

He sounded like East European, he looked scruffy, maybe he was poor and just wanted a free lunch lol

Quick Reply

Latest