The Student Room Group

Homeless people's begging stories

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
We have a benefit system in place to prevent such hardships, as Britain is not a third world country.
That man is entitled to job seekers, so he should not be begging in the streets, and I think it is disgusting for a grown man to be asking a young student for a cheeseburger.

I work in a homeless hostel and you have no idea what some of these people's stories are. If you're not a single mother you"re right at the bottom of the priority list. People lose their homes through all sorts - addiction, seperation from partners, kicked out by parents. Some have mental problems or depression and struggle to get the support they need. It's very naive to assume someone's story is black and white. People don't beg for food unless they're desperate.
They're professional beggars that prey on people, despite having food and a bed to sleep in, they beg.
If they're always in the same spot, you should know the they're pan handlers that use the same gimmick.
You should never feel the need to give your money to these people, as it is wrong.

I'll keep this in mind. Thank you for making me aware of this. :smile:
Original post by curiousduck
In London on the underground (I've only seen it on the northern line so far as I use that every day), there are these homeless people who get on the train and they are holding up a sign saying something like "need money for food etc" or sometimes they are just holding a coffee cup and asking if any one can spare any change and they'll walk through the entire carriage and most people will feel obliged to give them something. Some of the time that is. I normally give them food though but they just take it and don't seem to be entirely grateful as someone who gives them a few pounds xD I see this at least once a week omw home! And this one homeless person said "I need money to get to *says a place mumbly* where they can give me food and shelter for the night" which confused me because I mean he's already on the train?? So he must have a ticket already of some sort.

Train tickets are not cheap, so these people are professional pan handlers that prey on city folk.
They cannot live in a house and work 9-5 like everyone else, so they beg during the day.
Do nit give them food or money.
Reply 23
We have a benefit system in place to prevent such hardships, as Britain is not a third world country.
That man is entitled to job seekers, so he should not be begging in the streets, and I think it is disgusting for a grown man to be asking a young student for a cheeseburger.

They need an address for benefits and homeless people are well....
I get lots of Roma gybsy women begging me all the time. It's so annoying as clearly they don't look homeless at all.
They always say please me no money please it's like they are making a career out of begging. And people fall for it easily and sometimes hand out fivers to them which I'm sure they'll use to build mansions back in Romania. I live in a city which is outside London and rent is so cheap and it should be easy for them to find somewhere to rent
(edited 8 years ago)
I think I've got the strangest one that no one can beat.

A few months ago I was in Mcdonalds, a hobo walked in with a bag with corn flakes in it asking for change.

After he left, I realized I had 15p so I put my burger down and chased him down quickly, said "yo, I heard you were looking for change" he said "yeah, anything even a pound", I said "It's 15p, it's all I got".

He then said "ok, thanks you balls cocking gnome" in a calm tone and walked on. I stood there emotionless for a few seconds then forgot about it and went back to mcdonald's.

Went back to Mcdonalds and my burger got disposed, I went "oh, no" and the woman that disposed of it told me off but got me another one, i tried to explain but she kept interrupting, waited forever then got my burger, ate it, and left.

Not my best night.
If I was sleeping in doorways you can sure as hell bet I'd be on drugs too

Even if you are being "nice" about it and all "ooh THIS one is so deserving" who appointed you arbiter of the deserving/undeserving?

Indeed this is why the ******** stories proliferate, they need the money whether they are a "noble savage" type person or not, no matter what you feel about giving them it. So they have to invent the kind of story that will suck people in.

This is exactly why we invented social security. All of you should be clamouring for generous, stably paid benefits, free housing/beds, drug rehab.
Reply 27
Original post by curiousduck
In London on the underground (I've only seen it on the northern line so far as I use that every day), there are these homeless people who get on the train and they are holding up a sign saying something like "need money for food etc" or sometimes they are just holding a coffee cup and asking if any one can spare any change and they'll walk through the entire carriage and most people will feel obliged to give them something. Some of the time that is. I normally give them food though but they just take it and don't seem to be entirely grateful as someone who gives them a few pounds xD I see this at least once a week omw home! And this one homeless person said "I need money to get to *says a place mumbly* where they can give me food and shelter for the night" which confused me because I mean he's already on the train?? So he must have a ticket already of some sort.

Happens on the Victoria line too.
The train driver once announced there were beggers getting on the train and not to encourage them by giving money.

There's a group of women who work together and get on different trains begging for money, and they all have the same sob story written down on a piece of card.

I normally don't mind giving but you can tell they're well off and they must have enough if they've all managed to pay for a train ticket.
Original post by Alice__90
I work in a homeless hostel and you have no idea what some of these people's stories are. If you're not a single mother you"re right at the bottom of the priority list. People lose their homes through all sorts - addiction, seperation from partners, kicked out by parents. Some have mental problems or depression and struggle to get the support they need. It's very naive to assume someone's story is black and white. People don't beg for food unless they're desperate.

Fact is that the majority of street beggars across the country are professional pan handlers, with addiction being the driving force.
Rough sleeping is another issue, but street begging is wrong on so many levels.
So you think it is okay to guilt trip and scare young students into giving away money?
Original post by Longshot700

A few months ago I was in Mcdonalds, a hobo walked in with a bag with corn flakes in it asking for change.

After he left, I realized I had 15p so I put my burger down and chased him down quickly, said "yo, I heard you were looking for change" he said "yeah, anything even a pound", I said "It's 15p, it's all I got".

He then said "ok, thanks you balls cocking gnome" in a calm tone and walked on. I stood there emotionless for a few seconds then forgot about it and went back to mcdonald's.

Went back to Mcdonalds and my burger got disposed, I went "oh, no" and the woman that disposed of it told me off but got me another one, i tried to explain but she kept interrupting, waited forever then got my burger, ate it, and left.

Not my best night.

Classy neighbourhood haha
Original post by Racoon
They need an address for benefits and homeless people are well....

They can use charities and shelters for an address.
Original post by scrotgrot
Classy neighbourhood haha

Central Croydon on a Sunday night. What can you expect.
Original post by Longshot700

Not my best night.

Rude much, both of them.

I hate it when staff can't be considerate.
Fact is that the majority of street beggars across the country are professional pan handlers, with addiction being the driving force.
Rough sleeping is another issue, but street begging is wrong on so many levels.
So you think it is okay to guilt trip and scare young students into giving away money?

I thought this was about the guy asking for food? Money is a different situation. Not saying it's ok but addiction is a horrible thing that is very hard to overcome. These people need constructive support.
Original post by Eternalflames
Rude much, both of them.

To be fair, I'll never know what a balls cocking gnome is, my mum said she doesn't even know if it's an insult or compliment.
Original post by Eternalflames
Rude much, both of them.

Not fair, clearly homeless guy had some kind of mental issue or tourette's maybe

I hate it when people think "staff" should lick their arse. France is much better, their workers are enjoyably rude, other end of the scale is the US where their fake obsequity makes me cringe
Can't remember any specific stories, but the instant someone homeless tries to talk to me about their ''very believable'' story I just walk off lol. It's quite rude, but having seen these people around the town centre many times before I know it's all gonna be bull.
Reply 37
This happened in Nottingham too. The Victoria centre was riddled with beggars on student nights. Many of them had dogs, presumably to make pedestrians feel bad and encourage donations. I remember seeing an article about the majority of them being 'fake' and doing this type of thing for a living. I'm glad that I've never given them money.
Original post by Alice__90
I thought this was about the guy asking for food? Money is a different situation. Not saying it's ok but addiction is a horrible thing that is very hard to overcome. These people need constructive support.

Indeed they do, but it is not pleasant seeing a grown man in tatty clothing and a single cup asking for change.

We have a benefit system and yes it prevents people from ending up on the streets in most situations but not everyone. You are speaking from a position of privilege, from your high horse. If you were to end up homeless one day, I'm sure that you would not want others to be so lacking in empathy.

Quick Reply

Latest