The Student Room Group

I realised I really hate my best friend, What do I do?

Hi,

So I've had this friend for about 4 years, and he was pretty good for the first year, second year I noticed how he was starting to piss me off quite a bit. By the third year it was a lot worse. And this year (the fourth year of our friendship) I've got even more pissed off to the point of having a passionate hatred for him. Thankfully though I've branched out a lot more this year and gained a bunch of other good friends who I really like, meaning he's not so significant any more but he still really annoys me and we still consider each other great friends.

Anyway I've been completely unfair so far; I need to explain why I feel this way. So long story short we share an interest for film-making, and after I had started making some YouTube videos and stuff he expressed he wanted to start doing short films with me (nothing to do with any of my already existing projects). I said yeah, because I knew we worked really well together (we still do) and it was pretty great, we started off being completely equal in terms of authority etc. But eventually, probably due to his alpha personality he effectively became my boss. He claims we're still equal (along with another friend who has joined us whom I really do like) but it's ********. He gets all the fame and recognition, effectively orders me and the other guy around and never even asks us for ideas for the films; they have to come from his head, and even though I genuinely do not make films for attention or recognition (I do it because I love it) it's eating me up inside. And to top it all off, this alpha personality has basically just (from my point of view) made my already shy, introvert personality even more shy and introverted and I'm almost dependant on him, almost all my other friends, I have met with him.

We both have multiple siblings friends with each other; our family's know each other well, we have similar interests and to anyone watching; it'd seem like we got on great. But this really strong hatred has just grown out of control and I can't figure out how I deal with it.

I completely recognise such deep-seated hatred is really bad for me and I'm probably being a moany little bitch but at least I'm doing it on a fake anonymous account talking to strangers on the internet.

Any response or help will honestly be wonderful and I thank anyone who has even taken the time to read.
If you don't like spending time with him, don't spend time with him. I know that's easier said than done with your family and friend situation but if you can avoid him, do so, it's not healthy to hang around that much you feel such strong negativity towards.
Stand up to him and don't share your ideas with him and don't carry on making short films with and then he'll realise that his alpha personality won't help make films. You don't need him so don't be dependent on him. Carry on being friends with your other friends seeing as you like them.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So I've had this friend for about 4 years, and he was pretty good for the first year, second year I noticed how he was starting to piss me off quite a bit. By the third year it was a lot worse. And this year (the fourth year of our friendship) I've got even more pissed off to the point of having a passionate hatred for him. Thankfully though I've branched out a lot more this year and gained a bunch of other good friends who I really like, meaning he's not so significant any more but he still really annoys me and we still consider each other great friends.

Anyway I've been completely unfair so far; I need to explain why I feel this way. So long story short we share an interest for film-making, and after I had started making some YouTube videos and stuff he expressed he wanted to start doing short films with me (nothing to do with any of my already existing projects). I said yeah, because I knew we worked really well together (we still do) and it was pretty great, we started off being completely equal in terms of authority etc. But eventually, probably due to his alpha personality he effectively became my boss. He claims we're still equal (along with another friend who has joined us whom I really do like) but it's ********. He gets all the fame and recognition, effectively orders me and the other guy around and never even asks us for ideas for the films; they have to come from his head, and even though I genuinely do not make films for attention or recognition (I do it because I love it) it's eating me up inside. And to top it all off, this alpha personality has basically just (from my point of view) made my already shy, introvert personality even more shy and introverted and I'm almost dependant on him, almost all my other friends, I have met with him.

We both have multiple siblings friends with each other; our family's know each other well, we have similar interests and to anyone watching; it'd seem like we got on great. But this really strong hatred has just grown out of control and I can't figure out how I deal with it.

I completely recognise such deep-seated hatred is really bad for me and I'm probably being a moany little bitch but at least I'm doing it on a fake anonymous account talking to strangers on the internet.

Any response or help will honestly be wonderful and I thank anyone who has even taken the time to read.

hi, from what I've read I feel as if tho, its necessary for u to just tell him about what he's doing to you - it'll make u feel better rather than keeping it all inside. Its not healthy for u to be friends with him if u hate him alot. Try & figure things out, tell him what's annoying, and see if he wants to be ur friend. But personally, I would just distance myself from him and go talk to ur other friends, meet new ones & good luck. X
Reply 4
Cut him off.
Don't be best friends any more.

/thread.
Reply 6
Original post by Zimz
Cut him off.

Well that sounds... final
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Well that sounds... final

And very simple to do.