The Student Room Group

Mega A Level Maths Thread - Mark V

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Unfortunately yes, it is true haha. I was very bad in school I got expelled(permanent) out of my first school within months and didnt give two shits. Was on a D revised a few days for maths and got an A then I knew I was half decent. Hence my teachers carried on putting me down and I showed those pricks lol.
A in gcse maths-> high score BmO2. I hope I have redeemed myself.

Ledge!
[QUOTE=Kvothe the arcane;62676987]You've seen this before... If you're a newcomer! This is the 5th A-level Maths thread!

:zomg: :gasp: :yeah: BOIS !!!! I remember when Evil Fish first created the thread
I'm glad its being revived since May ish 2015. #Throwback

I'd be surprised if anybody watched this as a kid :lol: ^
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
:zomg: :gasp: :yeah: BOIS !!!! I remember when Evil Fish first created the thread
I'm glad its being revived since May ish 2015. #Throwback

I'd be surprised if anybody watched this as a kid :lol: ^

He was one of the first people I chatted to on TSR and now he's at uni! Are you hoping to study maths? I'll respond to ur PM in a minute.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
He was one of the first people I chatted to on TSR and now he's at uni! Are you hoping to study maths? I'll respond to ur VM in a minute.

Yeah I used to ask him for advice way back in the days when usycool1 was doing GCSES/AS Levels. I'm a old timer now :tongue: I'm hoping to study MSc Physics/Theoretical Physics at university depending upon how much I enjoy labs :argh:

Yeah nws! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I used to ask him for advice way back in the days when usycool1 was doing GCSES/AS Levels. I'm a old timer :tongue: I'm hoping to study MSc Physics or MSc Theoretical Physics at university depending upon how much I enjoy labs :argh:

Yeah nws! :smile:

Perhaps consider Further Maths? That could be your 3rd A*. Usycool1 was in the same year 12/13 as me. As in the thread. We've met actually.

Did you have a different account then? I don't recall you. I've had a couple name changes on this account :ninjagirl:.
Perhaps consider Further Maths? That could be your 3rd A*. Usycool1 was in the same year 12/13 as me. As in the thread. We've met actually.

Did you have a different account then? I don't recall you. I've had a couple name changes on this account :ninjagirl:.

Oh wait so you're older than 17/18? :O

I'm going to self teach FP1-2 + M2 over the summer before I start my degree.
Nice! :biggrin:

Nah, I had the same account ever since but I rarely used it to actually talk unlike now = TSR addiction. I was either lurking or just posted a study related question for help and thats it. Times have changed :lol: I miss the days of having 4 bars of negative rep! :laugh:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student403

Well yes :tongue:. You've seen my blog aha. I did my A levels previously 2012-2014. And now I'm resitting my A2s. I'd have to be older than 17/18 unless I'd done them early which I didn't :frown:.

I didn't study last night :eyes:.
I'm going to self teach FP1-2 + M2 over the summer before I start my degree.
Nice! :biggrin:

Nah, I had the same account ever since but I rarely used it to actually talk unlike now = TSR addiction. I was either lurking or just posted a study related question for help and thats it. Times have changed :lol: I miss the days of having 4 bars of negative rep! :laugh:

Oh okay, fair enough. Self study then now :biggrin: and get an A :h:.
Well yes :tongue:. You've seen my blog aha. I did my A levels previously 2012-2014. And now I'm resitting my A2s. I'd have to be older than 17/18 unless I'd done them early which I didn't :frown:.I didn't study last night :rolleyes:.
Well yes :tongue:. You've seen my blog aha. I did my A levels previously 2012-2014. And now I'm resitting my A2s. I'd have to be older than 17/18 unless I'd done them early which I didn't :frown:.

I didn't study last night :eyes:.

I never put 2 and 2 together :rofl: Silly me :spank:
I never put 2 and 2 together :rofl: Silly me :spank:

You'd think you could, given you're a mathematician :wink:.

I'm 20.

Incidentally, I wonder if anyone here is one of those people who can say the day - given a date.
Original post by DylanJ42
I seen a similar method to this in a STEP 1 integral (STEP 1 2002 maybe?), is there a special name for this method? (I + J and I - J and adding them)?

How do you all remember the years of the papers you sit?
You'd think you could, given you're a mathematician :wink:.

I'm 20.

Incidentally, I wonder if anyone here is one of those people who can say the day - given a date.

Probably someone :rofl:

That's a STEP question. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
That's a STEP question. :lol:

Really!? What's the strategy?
By using u2=sin(x) u^{2} = sin(x)
Find, sin(x)dx \int{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx
Original post by GeologyMaths
By using u2=sin(x) u^{2} = sin(x)
Find, sin(x)dx \int{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx

Mega A level maths thread.
Mega A level maths thread.

C4 knowledge required
Original post by GeologyMaths
C4 knowledge required

You're left with 2u21u4du\displaystyle 2 \int \dfrac{u^2}{\sqrt{1-u^4}}du which doesn't seem doable using C4 techniques.
(edited 8 years ago)
You're left with 2t21t4dt\displaystyle 2 \int \dfrac{t^2}{\sqrt{1-t^4}}dt which doesn't seem doable using C4 techniques.

u2u^{2} = sin(x)
u4+1 \sqrt{u^4 + 1} cos(x) = 1
2udu = cos(x) dx
2udu u4+1 \sqrt{u^4 + 1} = dx

Quick Reply