it is
Reply 22
Original post by TeeEm
it is

I made a simple error at the end, I said 2*5/2 = 2....... :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by Zacken
I made a simple error at the end, I said 2*5/2 = 2....... :frown:

I will post my solutions (the polar version is interesting )
one of the things maths lacks this days is you cannot get a question such as this as polars and conics are in different modules
Reply 24
Original post by TeeEm
I will post my solutions (the polar version is interesting )
one of the things maths lacks this days is you cannot get a question such as this as polars and conics are in different modules

You can! Like, for example - there are no pulleys in M2, but this year, my paper had pulleys because it was still in M1! Tag me when you put the polar version up, I'd be interested in having a look at it! :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Zacken
You can! Like, for example - there are no pulleys in M2, but this year, my paper had pulleys because it was still in M1! Tag me when you put the polar version up, I'd be interested in having a look at it! :smile:

Reply 27
Original post by DylanJ42
I see I am too late, anyways...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Friday night you see ... I am going to a party ...
f5.jpg
Conics are on my list of things to do this half-term break, *bookmarks*
Original post by TeeEm
Friday night you see ... I am going to a party ...
f5.jpg

There is no party like a maths forum party :cake:
Original post by TeeEm
could you point me in the right direction?
Presentation1.jpg

I think I might be missing a joke here but the property you are asking for (i.e. sum of the distances from the foci is constant) is true for all ellipses, not just the particular one given in the question.

(So the easiest way to do the question is to simply quote that theorem :P)
Reply 31
Original post by TeeEm

Sweet, thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by theOldBean
I think I might be missing a joke here but the property you are asking for (i.e. sum of the distances from the foci is constant) is true for all ellipses, not just the particular one given in the question.

It is, but that doesn't mean you can't prove it for a specific special, can you?
Reply 33

Sorry but I make the question and I do not expect the student not to use any well known theorems ...
If I was to put this in an exam i would state it clearly.

All the best !
Reply 34
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Bit late.
I have no idea why all 3 of these pictures are displayed sideways. I took them from my phone the correct way up.
Reply 35

That's what I thought, sum of distance from two foci is = 2 x semi major axis. But I guess in this question you are proving it for a special case.
Original post by TeeEm
could you point me in the right direction?

I didn't know that ellipses had such elegant polar equations.
Reply 37
Original post by Louisb19
I didn't know that ellipses had such elegant polar equations.

:smile:
you can draw an ellipse by making a loop of string and putting two nails at the foci. pull the loop tight with a pencil and draw round, keeping it tight.
you can see that the length of string which is moving is constant, as required in this question.

Quick Reply

Latest