The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My brother and I are ex-muslims whilst my sister is still into it. Our mum disapproves of some things and only voices her disapproval but other than that doesn't treat us any differently- in return we're completely honest with her. She has a firm belief but even she questions some things about Islam.
As the question is aimed at Muslims, some people (such as my mum) do not act harshly and if my sister were to have children, I think she would be the same. Me, personally, definitely would not raise any children I have as Muslims unless they choose it for themselves.
Reply 41
Original post by ivybridge
I understand what you're saying but I really cannot comprehend why a mother would disown a part of them, something they have loved and protected all their life to date, because they don't share the same beliefs as them about the existence or nonexistence of God... something nobody can ever verify...

But, it's your life.

When I think about it I doubt I could disown my own child. Even if I did I doubt I'd live long after doing so. :frown: But when you've been brought up to think somethings the right way, and for generations everyone has had the same view, it's just hard to accept that not everyone in your fam is going to have the same views. Anyway I'm glad there's someone on this thread who actually understands where I'm coming from. :s-smilie:
Reply 42
Original post by arfah
I think what those parents did was justifiable. I know they're your children but if you're a true Muslim you believe that non Muslims don't go to paradise. Who would want their children in hell for eternity? I certainly understand their point of view.

What really? You believe I'm going to hell and that it's justified?
Original post by arfah
I think what those parents did was justifiable. I know they're your children but if you're a true Muslim you believe that non Muslims don't go to paradise. Who would want their children in hell for eternity? I certainly understand their point of view.

^SHOCKING and Muslims wonder why they get so much hate?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by RobML
What really? You believe I'm going to hell and that it's justified?

When did I say that? Even extremely religious people can believe that if you're a good person, God will take that into account and you will go to paradise. But when you're born a Muslim and you leave its just different #deepthoughts :s-smilie:
Reply 45
Original post by arfah
When did I say that? Even extremely religious people can believe that if you're a good person, God will take that into account and you will go to paradise. But when you're born a Muslim and you leave its just different #deepthoughts :s-smilie:

What's the difference between being Muslim and leaving to never being Muslim at all? And if there is, why does God apply stricter rules to a particular group of people (Muslims)?
Reply 46
Original post by RobML
What's the difference between being Muslim and leaving to never being Muslim at all? And if there is, why does God apply stricter rules to a particular group of people (Muslims)?

Never being Muslim= you may have never come across Islam, or your parents have prevent you from practicing it. Born a Muslim= you were exposed to Islam and your parents introduced you to it, but you left it. As for the second question I don't know.
Reply 47
Original post by arfah
Never being Muslim= you may have never come across Islam, or your parents have prevent you from practicing it. Born a Muslim= you were exposed to Islam and your parents introduced you to it, but you left it. As for the second question I don't know.

I'm certainly aware of Islam and could become Muslim if I wanted to :dontknow: But what about those children who were forced into it by their upbringing? Why should they be punished for leaving something they had no say in joining?
Some of the views on here :puke:
I know, shocking.
I wouldn't disown my child, perhaps talk to them to understand why they have left. I would just hope/pray that they one day return to Islam, however you can't force a religion on someone. But I would be happy to explain and answers questions about Islam to them the best I can.

I would just hope they don't become a raging neckbeard atheist, they're just annoying.

(Edit- by "raging atheist" I mean the aggressive one that do nothing but insult religions, nothing wrong with being an atheist in general)

To add to this, I don't see why you would disown them, even as a religious Muslim you would just hope they come back to the religion one day, disowning them wouldn't help, plus it's your child fgs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by mkap
its hard to say how i would react. my dad left Hinduism and my grandma disowned him. i have hindu family and it hurts to see that they are not Muslim esp when they die. i wouldnt disown them but i would pray for them constantly :smile:

With attitudes like this I'm starting to agree with the RSS on a few points......:colonhash:
Reply 52
Original post by Yawn!
With attitudes like this I'm starting to agree with the RSS on a few points......:colonhash:

whats the RRS?
I'm a Hindu and my dad is an athiest, he left the religion despite both of my grandparents being religious. Nobody disowned him, why is this such an issue in Islam? (No disrespect but disowning your child isn't going to resolve the situation. You raised that child fgs how are you gonna treat them like a piece of **** after?)
Reply 54
Original post by Anonymous
Some of the views on here :puke:

Agree with you there. I'm genuinely shocked by what I'm hearing from certain people. Makes me sick too. :angry:
Reply 55
Original post by mkap
whats the RRS?

Something I think I'll be supporting a lot more from now on.
I don't understand how/why someone would disown their own child for having different religious beliefs :shock:

Humanity should always come first! :yep:
Reply 57
Original post by Yawn!
Something I think I'll be supporting a lot more from now on.

tell me :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by Indeterminate
I don't understand how/why someone would disown their own child for having different religious beliefs :shock:

Humanity should always come first! :yep:

Funnily enough the guy in your pic probably thinks you're going to hell.....but he'll happily take your money at the box office in the meantime. You know what they say - 'A fool and his money are soon parted'. :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by mkap
tell me :frown:

Nah, I'd rather not waste my time with someone who thinks non-muslims are going to hell.

Disgusting.

Latest

Trending

Trending