The Student Room Group

Honestly, why do people even stress about getting a 2:1 in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TutuBEng
From seeing and reading about a load of RG Graduates with 2:1's and 1sts who don't get graduate-level jobs.

A 2:1 from Wolverhampton is more eligible to apply for grad jobs than someone like myself who could end up with a 2:2 in Engineering from an RG.

Obviously I aimed to do a good degree and a top Uni and get a 2:1, I've just become disillusioned over the years with how worthwhile it all been after seeing where people have gone after graduation.

Youre missing my point im not speaking about YOU. Im speaking for the masses with the same grade. You say you go to a RG why dont you aim for a 1st (stand out from the rest etc..) i highly doubt with a 1st from a RG and Engineering degree wont get you a decent job. Put in the work dont compare yourself too those who did not get a job why not look at the ones who are in very good jobs instead?
Reply 21
Original post by chrt28
The idea that you can't get a job with a 2.1 engineering degree is ludicrous. There are many degrees like History, Psychology etc. where that would be the case but engineering can lead to many possibilities.

A more valid question would be is it worth the extra effort to get a first? In many cases I would say no.

Did you do the MPhys?
Stop whining, and work to get the best you can. Or if you really see it as so pointless, just slack off and get a worse grade. In reality, there is no great amount of difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2, and people can do worse in final exams for all kinds of reasons, not just because they're not good enough.

An attitude where "why should I work for it because X scenario may occur" is what won't get you a job. How will you explain yourself in a potential interview if they ask about your commitment to the field. "meh couldn't be arsed putting in extra to get a 2:1 since I know FOR SURE it wouldn't help get me that job which hasn't been advertised yet". With high competition, you really have to show you care, and appreciate nothing in life is a walk in the park.

But sure, you throw common sense out the window now, and see how that fares you in the real world of rent, food, bills, council tax, loan repayments etc.
Where are you studying?
Reply 24
Original post by Mentally
Interesting, why?

Most companies don't care much about the distinction between a first and a 2.1, if the graduate has sufficient interest/experience in that area then it's enough.
Rather than saying why bother to get a 2:1 because it requires more work than a 2:2, you should be more than willing to work for a 2:1 rather than spending your time getting wasted, playing computer games and picking your nose (the standard behaviours of those who are happy to shell out £9k a year for a 2:2). I suspect the difference in attitude and work ethic is more telling for the chances of getting a reasonable job and subsequent career progression than the percentage on your transcript.
Reply 26

No one gives a crap about your degree classification after you've gotten your first job. It all becomes about experience.

Having 20 years work experience in my field, including a 12 month undergraduate placement, I would agree with you there. So with all due respect, why didn't you make efforts to gain some work experience whilst studying, to improve your prospects?
Reply 27
Original post by librarygirl
Stop whining, and work to get the best you can. Or if you really see it as so pointless, just slack off and get a worse grade. In reality, there is no great amount of difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2, and people can do worse in final exams for all kinds of reasons, not just because they're not good enough.

On my course, that's not true at all.
Reply 28
Did you do the MPhys?

Yes I did. In hindsight i'm not sure it was the best choice as I plan to go back to university to study a Computer vision/machine learning MSc but am not eligible for the new loans.
Reply 29
Original post by CCC75
Having 20 years work experience in my field, including a 12 month undergraduate placement, I would agree with you there. So with all due respect, why didn't you make efforts to gain some work experience whilst studying, to improve your prospects?

I have plenty of work experience as do many other graduates. I couldn't find a post where I'd said that I didn't have any.
Reply 30
Original post by chrt28
Yes I did. In hindsight i'm not sure it was the best choice as I plan to go back to university to study a Computer vision/machine learning MSc but am not eligible for the new loans.

Are you sure an integrated masters exempts you from the new loans?

It's still technically undergraduate level no? Or do they count it as a Level 7 qualification which causes the problem?

Interested to know how you found that out.
Yeah but that's my point.

A 2:1 is basically nothing anyway so you may as well just not bother, put in less work and get a 2:2.

The whole idea of working your nuts off to get a 2:1 so you can be one of the 4 people in the country who gets a graduate level job just seems ludicrous.

So the better alternative is to just say sod it and accept you will be restricted from applying to certain jobs and graduate programs? Thats your choice but to act like everyone should just accept that is quite strange way of thinking lol
Reply 32
Original post by TSRFT8
Youre missing my point im not speaking about YOU. Im speaking for the masses with the same grade. You say you go to a RG why dont you aim for a 1st (stand out from the rest etc..) i highly doubt with a 1st from a RG and Engineering degree wont get you a decent job. Put in the work dont compare yourself too those who did not get a job why not look at the ones who are in very good jobs instead?

There's no difference between a 1st or a 2:1 in terms of getting a graduate job. Employers don't care.
Reply 33
Are you sure an integrated masters exempts you from the new loans?

It's still technically undergraduate level no? Or do they count it as a Level 7 qualification which causes the problem?

Interested to know how you found that out.

I read the official government release on the new loans, they decided it was equivalent to other Masters level qualifications which I would disagree with when it comes to the MPhys.
A university admissions department also confirmed this with me.
Reply 34
Original post by chosenone93
So the better alternative is to just say sod it and accept you will be restricted from applying to certain jobs and graduate programs? Thats your choice but to act like everyone should just accept that is quite strange way of thinking lol

I just think it's being realistic. The rewards of getting a 2:1 to me in the modern world don't seem worth the effort.

In all likelihood I'll try my best to get a 2:1, and I'm just having a bit of a moan, but it does seem futile.
Reply 35
I have plenty of work experience as do many other graduates. I couldn't find a post where I'd said that I didn't have any.

Likewise I did not post that I had never been to university. Assumptions are flying all over the gaff. Your attitude kinda stinks and you may need to work on it along with your grades. Or not. Wallowing in self pity appears to be the direction in which you prefer to go. Best of luck with that.
Reply 36
I just think it's being realistic. The rewards of getting a 2:1 to me in the modern world don't seem worth the effort.

In all likelihood I'll try my best to get a 2:1, and I'm just having a bit of a moan, but it does seem futile.

So is there any particular area you are interested in or do you not like engineering?

Personally I'm just pursuing what interests me, my MPhys project involved signal processing and machine learning which is how I got my current job. I'll be taking this further with my MSc. Maybe it will be tough to get a job again afterwards but I will take the risk. I think I will be able to enter my company's R&D department at the least.

A more important issue is sticking around in a career that really interests you.
Reply 37
Original post by Quantex
Rather than saying why bother to get a 2:1 because it requires more work than a 2:2, you should be more than willing to work for a 2:1 rather than spending your time getting wasted, playing computer games and picking your nose (the standard behaviours of those who are happy to shell out £9k a year for a 2:2). I suspect the difference in attitude and work ethic is more telling for the chances of getting a reasonable job and subsequent career progression than the percentage on your transcript.

I don't do any of those things. Funny though.

I have a load of work experience, I'm a very hard worker. I just find it very difficult to work hard at something when it seems like there is very little reward.

The further I've moved through University, the more people I've seen end up on the graduate scrapheap, the less reward I observe.
Reply 38
Original post by CCC75
Likewise I did not post that I had never been to university. Assumptions are flying all over the gaff. Your attitude kinda stinks and you may need to work on it along with your grades. Or not. Wallowing in self pity appears to be the direction in which you prefer to go. Best of luck with that.

I was asking you a question, not stating that it was fact. You stated that I didn't have any work experience.

Probably best if you stop replying to this thread now that you're throwing out insults.
Reply 39
Original post by chrt28
I read the official government release on the new loans, they decided it was equivalent to other Masters level qualifications which I would disagree with when it comes to the MPhys.A university admissions department also confirmed this with me.
I see. That's annoying.

Original post by chrt28
So is there any particular area you are interested in or do you not like engineering?

Personally I'm just pursuing what interests me, my MPhys project involved signal processing and machine learning which is how I got my current job. I'll be taking this further with my MSc. Maybe it will be tough to get a job again afterwards but I will take the risk. I think I will be able to enter my company's R&D department at the least.

A more important issue is sticking around in a career that really interests you.

I'd say that I probably don't see myself ending up in Engineering. I've found it pretty dull to be honest and this semester is probably the worst in terms of workload which is why I'm so pessimistic about the whole 2:1/2:2 ordeal.

Well done with where you're at and good luck with the MSc.

Quick Reply

Latest