The Student Room Group

Continous Random Variable Questions P(X>0.2) different to P(X>=0.2)?

Is there any difference so I get that you integrate from 0.2 to being the lower limit, and the upper limit being infinity/highest value?
Reply 1
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Is there any difference so I get that you integrate from 0.2 to being the lower limit, and the upper limit being infinity/highest value?

Nope! > > is the same as \geqslant for continuous distributions.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

I thought so thank you.

What about this question: Find P(-sigma)<X<sigma)

Where sigma is the s.d.

How do I solve this lmao

I have worked out P(X<sigma) but I never know what to do next: It is page 52 Q6d of the edexcel book if you have it :smile:
Reply 3
I thought so thank you.

Where sigma is the s.d.

How do I solve this lmao

I have worked out P(X<sigma) but I never know what to do next: It is page 52 Q6d of the edexcel book if you have it :smile:

Which module?
Which module?

lmao sorry S2. I don't know if you are writing it though :P

Is there any reason why this is btw, just feel like I am following it without really understanding it :/
Reply 6
Is there any reason why this is btw, just feel like I am following it without really understanding it :/

P(Xx)=P(X=x)+P(X>x)P(X \geq x) = P(X=x) + P(X > x), but for continuous distributions: P(X=x)=0P(X=x) = 0 since, well, intuitively you're asking for one single possibility in a (continuous, hence massive/infinite/uncountably infinite) realm of possibilities.
Reply 7

Think about it - time is a continuous variable and you can have 3.5 seconds but if you were selecting beads from a bowl you couldn't have 3.5 beads. Maybe look over S1 Chapter 8 and 9 if you're still a little confused.
Original post by Zacken
P(Xx)=P(X=x)+P(X>x)P(X \geq x) = P(X=x) + P(X > x), but for continuous distributions: P(X=x)=0P(X=x) = 0 since, well, intuitively you're asking for one single possibility in a (continuous, hence massive/infinite/uncountably infinite) realm of possibilities.

Think about it - time is a continuous variable and you can have 3.5 seconds but if you were selecting beads from a bowl you couldn't have 3.5 beads. Maybe look over S1 Chapter 8 and 9 if you're still a little confused.

ofc ffs this is continuous and not discrete omg.

Did you look at that question @aymanzayedmannan :colondollar:
Reply 9
I thought so thank you.

Where sigma is the s.d.

How do I solve this lmao

You can do this by thinking about the area under the graph. Is X normally distributed? If so you can just look up the relevant values in the table of the cumulative normal function
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shamika
You can do this by thinking about the area under the graph. Is X normally distributed? If so you can just look up the relevant values in the table of the cumulative normal function

Thanks but isnt it P(x<sigma) - P(x<sigma) = 0?
Reply 11

Obviously. But how is that relevant here?

Yep. But P(X<-sigma) isn't the same as P(X<sigma); note the minus sign!
Original post by shamika
Yep. But P(X<-sigma) isn't the same as P(X<sigma); note the minus sign!

Thanks yes, so how do you account for the negative sign?

P(X< - sigma) = 1 - P(X<sigma)?
Reply 14
Thanks yes, so how do you account for the negative sign?

P(X< - sigma) = 1 - P(X<sigma)?

Yes. so with some nice re-arranging, you should get: P(x < sigma) = 1/2. Which makes sense if you look at a normal distribution graph.
Original post by Zacken
Yes. so with some nice re-arranging, you should get: P(x < sigma) = 1/2. Which makes sense if you look at a normal distribution graph.

thnx

Quick Reply

Latest