The Student Room Group

Manchester vs newcastle?

How do the two law schools compare, and which have better connections to Law firms after graduation? Student life/nightlife is also an important factor :smile: any advice welcome
Reply 1
Original post by Tom5pence
How do the two law schools compare, and which have better connections to Law firms after graduation? Student life/nightlife is also an important factor :smile: any advice welcome

I'm doing Law at Manchester in September but have visited Newcastle Uni Law school! I really liked Newcastle and its Law fair is visited by top law firms. However, Manchester does have a better reputation internationally (56th in the world and is seen as a top 10 uni in the UK generally for reputation in some tables) and the Law society is very good I found when I visited Manchester. Law fair at Manchester is visited by all the big firms, and the law society is sponsored by some MC firms. On Linkedin you will find many Manchester graduates at top law firms e.g. Magic circle and big city corporate firms.

Here shows that Manchester does better for providing trainees to good firms

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

Newcastle has a good nightlife but Manchester is miles better, I have a cousin who went to Manchester and is on a huge tax free salary working for an oil company in the Middle East, he said Manchester's nightlife is excellent and never fails to impress.
(edited 8 years ago)
The idea that Manchester has any advantage over Newcastle is a joke. If anything, Newcastle has the stronger course.

56th in the world, top 10 in the UK? For about 3 courses, yeah.
Reply 3
Original post by like_marmite
The idea that Manchester has any advantage over Newcastle is a joke. If anything, Newcastle has the stronger course.

56th in the world, top 10 in the UK? For about 3 courses, yeah.

I have firmed ncl :smile: are you a student there?
Reply 4
Original post by Tom5pence
I have firmed ncl :smile: are you a student there?

Fair enough NCL is still a good choice for Law, I never disputed that. In response to like_marmite, Manchester is 56th in the world is for reputation as a uni and top 10 in the UK, not for any particular course. Yes NCL is higher in the league tables for Law so has a better course perhaps. Then again league tables are not the whole story, as some say Surrey is the best uni which obviously is not true. It does not mean Manchester is entirely rubbish though as you would purport it, and I was not trying to make Manchester out as the best ever.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending