The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
But nothing is my business really. I ask someone "how are you" and they could say I'm not entitled to know how they're feeling.

My question wasn't inherently offensive imo (few things are) and the person to whom the question was directed didn't indicate they minded. I see no harm done.

So take it as future refrence then, don't go around asking people that, like it is as common and meaningless as the old "how are you" question.
Original post by xobeauty
You're disrespectful as ****.

Chill your turbo thrusters, captain.

The angst in this thread is already near the maximum threshold.
12088015_540961736061434_2501692205206826496_n.jpg

Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
So take it as future refrence then, don't go around asking people that, like it is as common and meaningless as the old "how are you" question.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying that there are few questions which are inherently offensive as offence tends to be taken and not given.
You can't be offended in his behalf and it is up to him to decide whether whether my question was inappropriate or not. But no, it's not a question I generally ask although I wouldn't mind being asked myself. It depends on the context. I would feel nervous if asked accusingly by a big guy in a testosterone fuelled environment.

You need only look at this list to see that there's some disparity between what some people consider to be harassing speech or behaviour compared to others.
12088015_540961736061434_2501692205206826496_n.jpg

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying that there are few questions which are inherently offensive as offence tends to be taken and not given.
You can't be offended in his behalf and it is up to him to decide whether whether my question was inappropriate or not. But no, it's not a question I generally ask although I wouldn't mind being asked myself. It depends on the context. I would feel nervous if asked accusingly by a big guy in a testosterone fuelled environment.

You need only look at this list to see that there's some disparity between what some people consider to be harassing speech or behaviour compared to others.

I'm not "offended on his behalf", I'm pointing out indecent behaviour, that's all. What if he had been "in the closet" and felt outed by your very PUBLIC question? (I know he wasn't but as I said, this is for future reference)
I cannot see how you don't think it's not a problem to ask.
That list is about women and is hardly exhaustive.
I'm not "offended on his behalf", I'm pointing out indecent behaviour, that's all. What if he had been "in the closet" and felt outed by your very PUBLIC question? (I know he wasn't but as I said, this is for future reference)
I cannot see how you don't think it's not a problem to ask.
That list is about women and is hardly exhaustive.

Then he would simply deny it. Someone always might be "something". Perhaps you're sensitive to my particular question for various reasons...but as you don't know what feelings people may have, you can't second guess yourself. Again, I bring up people and their questions which assume I've parents despite their lack of them. Just as I am not offended as I know they couldn't possibly know then how am I to know he's closeted?

I appreciate your perspective which is why I don't go around asking invasive questions irl (I have asperger's so I have had some accidents in past years) but I don't feel similarly about semi-anonymous online accounts.

I quoted the list because I disagree that at least some of the things are harassment. Like being offended when ignored, for example.
Then he would simply deny it. Someone always might be "something". Perhaps you're sensitive to my particular question for various reasons...but as you don't know what feelings people may have, you can't second guess yourself. Again, I bring up people and their questions which assume I've parents despite their lack of them. Just as I am not offended as I know they couldn't possibly know then how am I to know he's closeted?

I appreciate your perspective which is why I don't go around asking invasive questions irl (I have asperger's so I have had some accidents in past years) but I don't feel similarly about semi-anonymous online accounts.

I quoted the list because I disagree that at least some of the things are harassment. Like being offended when ignored, for example.

No wonder I feel like I'm going in circles with you, you're an aspie, take it from someone who is not, don't ask people that question unless you know that. You do realise you're really asking "who do you have sex with, males or females or both?" Your no parents comparison cannot be compared to the level of invasion this question brings.
Original post by Jessicalw23
image.jpeg

Wow, you look great

Posted from TSR Mobile
No wonder I feel like I'm going in circles with you, you're an aspie, take it from someone who is not, don't ask people that question unless you know that. You do realise you're really asking "who do you have sex with, males or females or both?" Your no parents comparison cannot be compared to the level of invasion this question brings.

I'm not asking that, no, because you don't necessarily have sex with those you're attracted to. I understand what you're saying. I just disagree. My having aspergers does not make me thick. I could feel offended by your implication :rolleyes:. But I am less sensitive than most for other reasons.

When someone asks "do you have a girlfriend?", they aren't asking "is there a woman you're having sex with". When they ask "do you think you'll have kids?", they aren't asking "do you and your girlfriend have sex without a comdom".

My question was what it was - a simple inquiry - and not a euphemism for anything more invasive.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I'm not asking that, no, because you don't necessarily have sex with those you're attracted to. I understand what you're saying. I just disagree. My having aspergers does not make me thick. I could feel offended by your implication :rolleyes:. But I am less sensitive than most for other reasons.

When someone asks "do you have a girlfriend?", they aren't asking "is there a woman you're having sex with". When they ask "do you think you'll have kids?", they aren't asking "do you and your girlfriend have sex without a comdom".

My question was what it was - a simple inquiry - and not a euphemism for anything more invasive.

Sexuality implies sex...having a significant other does not. It's that simple, I'm done taking about this with you now.

As for the aspie thing it's a well known fact that aspie have trouble reading social cues and norms.
Original post by luminarychild
Do I look white to you?

What are you then?

Original post by RobML
Still got that stick up your bottom, ey?

How dare you!
Reply 2512
How dare you!

Fighyt me/
Thread is full of right weirdos :smile:
Original post by lustawny
Well, people obviously do find me attractive, because both of my most recent posts on here where I've posted a photo of myself, have been repped by TSR users.
lmao

That may be so, but it's not YOUR sexuality in question here. You'd think that gay people would have respect for those types of questions but no, not you, you just HAVE to know because the question tickles your fancy, right?

Are you gay?
Original post by dairychocolate
lmao

Are you gay?

Keep reading.
Keep reading.

I'd rather stick my knob in a meat grinder than read your bait essays x
Original post by dairychocolate
I'd rather stick my knob in a meat grinder than read your bait essays x

Then don't ask.
Reply 2519