The Student Room Group

Do I Quit Computer Science GCSE

Should I drop computer science? I have 11 GCSEs at the moment, but if I drop this then I will have 10. Is this a good idea? My predicted grade is a B, but I don't believe this at all. The exam board is OCR, and all the past papers we have done, I have only ever got around 30-45%, but my teacher labels them as a C. My whole class is still on the 1st controlled assessment from year 10, and now we are supposed to juggle two at the same time. My exams are in May, I also have to learn the theory part of Computer science. How can I do this? I have one week to decide.

Scroll to see replies

Omg I'm in exactly the same position as you!!!!!! Everything is true. I absolutely hate computer science. What should we do 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
If we drop computer science all the stress over the two controlled assessments will be gone. I dont even know the thoery part to do the exam in the end.
All I know is that my point average will be a lot higher.
But are there any negatives to dropping this subject?
I feel sorry for you..

In my school we finished both controlled assessment and we are half way through learning theory.

If I was in your situation, I would drop computing. To get a good grade in the controlled assessments you need on average 10k word with explanation and good development technique per CA. We do only have 12 weeks left.

I finished with an A in A452 and A* in A453 with a joint word count of around 35k

I'd really consider dropping it.

It would release you of a lot of stress and you will have more time to focus on other subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
What exam board are you doing? I'm doing AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm doing OCR
Original post by Federerr
I feel sorry for you..

In my school we finished both controlled assessment and we are half way through learning theory.

If I was in your situation, I would drop computing. To get a good grade in the controlled assessments you need on average 10k word with explanation and good development technique per CA. We do only have 12 weeks left.

I finished with an A in A452 and A* in A453 with a joint word count of around 35k

I'd really consider dropping it.

It would release you of a lot of stress and you will have more time to focus on other subjects.

Wow, you did really well. Thanks for telling me this, now I know just how behind we are. I am no way near 10k words on my first controlled assessment and we haven't even begun the second. I will have to drop it.
If I was you, I'd drop it - sounds like it will have a negative impact on your other subjects.
We did A452 last year and finished A453 around christmas/january.
I have no idea about any of the theory though :redface:
And like the person said above, I had about 10k words for A452 and more for A453 :smile:
Original post by surina16
If I was you, I'd drop it - sounds like it will have a negative impact on your other subjects.
We did A452 last year and finished A453 around christmas/january.
I have no idea about any of the theory though :redface:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsBxhDfwURg-vQASN2ZeHwg/videos
^ I would watch these videos to learn the theory part. He does AQA, OCR and he is doing Edexcel now. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Cassandra2816
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsBxhDfwURg-vQASN2ZeHwg/videos
^ I would watch these videos to learn the theory part. He does AQA, OCR and he is doing Edexcel now. Good luck :smile:

The link doesn't work, but do you mean computer science tutor? I've heard he is quite good haha.
Thanks, you too if you decide to continue with computing :smile:
Original post by surina16
The link doesn't work, but do you mean computer science tutor? I've heard he is quite good haha.
Thanks, you too if you decide to continue with computing :smile:

Theory IMO doesn't have to much content. It just takes time to grab hold of the idea.

I've got the OCR computing revision guide and I do 1 page day. It takes only 20-45 minutes. So it's not even that much, I'll probably finish the revision real soon. Then just bang out exam papers.

I worked it out, I only need a solid A in my exam to get an A* overall in computing.

It's not that hard.
Original post by Federerr
Theory IMO doesn't have to much content. It just takes time to grab hold of the idea.

I've got the OCR computing revision guide and I do 1 page day. It takes only 20-45 minutes. So it's not even that much, I'll probably finish the revision real soon. Then just bang out exam papers.

I worked it out, I only need a solid A in my exam to get an A* overall in computing.

It's not that hard.

That's a good idea tbh. The worst topic imo is either software/networking.
Let's just hope the grade boundaries are as low as they were last year :biggrin:
(56/80 for A*)
Did u decide in the end??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have dropped it now. When I am supposed to be doing computer science I revise and do homework. I feel very relieved.

What have you decided?
You're so lucky. My teachers said it was too late apparently... So I've got to continue 😥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rachelod21
You're so lucky. My teachers said it was too late apparently... So I've got to continue 😥

Maybe I was allowed because many parents had already complained a while ago. Good luck with computer science. But remember we need to revise for the exams now.
Have you got the exam timetable?
Hey I know this was posted ages ago but I finally dropped out of computer science! It was such a relief!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol
(edited 7 years ago)
I had no choice though. My school left all the controlled assessments that are 50 hours long plus extra to the last minute. If you're saying you did them at home then u are going against the rules and could be disqualified from the exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest