The Student Room Group

"My Jihad means being humanitarian and helping others"

The German Federal Agency for Political Education has released a video explaining the origins and meaning of Jihad

[video="youtube;_7m8DzOx_WE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7m8DzOx_WE[/video]

Not sure what to think about this tbh

Can someone more knowledgeable about Islam please verify what they say?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
The German Federal Agency for Political Education has released a video explaining the origins and meaning of Jihad

[video="youtube;_7m8DzOx_WE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7m8DzOx_WE[/video]

Not sure what to think about this tbh

Can someone more knowledgeable about Islam please verify what they say?

To put it brief, Jihad = struggle and generally there are 2 types. The major one is the struggle against yourself (not to commit sins) and the minor one (that ironically is often seen as the major) is simply defending your religion.
Original post by mil88
To put it brief, Jihad = struggle and generally there are 2 types. The major one is the struggle against yourself (not to commit sins) and the minor one (that ironically is often seen as the major) is simply defending your religion.

So Jihad is actually a good thing?

It gets a lot of bad press

Because a lot of terrorists such as ISIS deem Jihad, their 'struggle', to be murdering innocent people in the name of Allah.

The concept of Jihad does have good intentions. If you struggle to improve the world around you and help elevate others and their quality of life, then great. If you use Jihad as an excuse to break the law, oppress others, recklessly use violence to intimidate and silence then obviously it's wrong.
From the Hadith:

It was narrated that ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah said:
“I came to the Prophet and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded. Grade: Sahih
Despite the good intentions, I wouldn't recommend using jihad for this "good purpose" because it already has too many negative connotations associated with terrorism.
Original post by mil88

Noted historian of Islam Bernard Lewis

image.jpeg
Original post by garfeeled
Noted historian of Islam Bernard Lewis

image.jpeg

Read the bit before it and after mate
Reply 8
Basically:

The Germans know the **** really is gonna hit the fan with extremists running riot either raping or committing terror attacks but also members of the far-right will begin fighting back, attacking innocent people whose only crime is looking a little too dark and now they want to put a lid on it all until the next election.

Jihad means to strive. There are different types of jihad which are categorised into four main groups. I'm not going to go through it all but essentially they cover seeking knowledge, being patient, calling people to Islam, physical fighting against tyrants and oppressors, and jihad in defending the religion against innovation / reformation.

The greatest jihad is to speak a word of truth against an oppressive tyrant.

At-Tariq ibn Shihab reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, as he put his foot in the stirrup, “What is the most virtuous struggle (jihad)?” The Prophet said, A word of truth in front of a tyrannical ruler.

Source: Musnad Ahmad 18449
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to An-Nawawi
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by carlskep
From the Hadith:

“I came to the Prophet and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded. Grade: Sahih

May I ask from which book is this from and do all sects of Islam agree upon this?
Original post by mil88
May I ask from which book is this from and do all sects of Islam agree upon this?

Ikr that was like a random hadith just fetched out of nowhere.

Essentially it's a 'good thing' but yes it's often misinterpreted (in my opinion of course)
Original post by mil88

You are talking about the greater and lesser Jihad? The Hadith that supports this is not a sahih Hadith and isn't found in the major Hadith collections if I recall correctly?
Original post by geniequeen48
Read the bit before it and after mate

I have. I shall post it here. Along with a link to the book itself.
Before
image.jpeg
Attachment not found

After
Attachment not found
Original post by The Epicurean
You are talking about the greater and lesser Jihad? The Hadith that supports this is not a sahih Hadith and isn't found in the major Hadith collections if I recall correctly?

Who decides if it's Sahih or not?
Original post by mil88

Sunan Ibn Majah » Vol. 4, Book 24, Hadith 2794 » The Chapters on Jihad

Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)

http://sunnah.com/urn/1276430
Original post by AlifunArnab

At-Tariq ibn Shihab reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, as he put his foot in the stirrup, “What is the most virtuous struggle (jihad)?” The Prophet said, A word of truth in front of a tyrannical ruler.

That contradicts this:

“I came to the Prophet and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded. Sunan Ibn Majah Vol. 4, Book 24 Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)

http://sunnah.com/urn/1276430
Original post by mil88

It was narrated that ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah said: “I came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?’ He said: ‘(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded.’”

This is the Chain of Narration:

Abu Bakr bin Abi Shayba
Ya'la bin 'Ubaid bin Umayya al-Tanafasi
Hjaj bin Dinar
Muhammad bin Dhkwan
Shar bin Hushab al-Asha'ri
'Amr bin 'Absa al-Salmi

It is found in Sunan Ibn Majah Book: 24, Hadith: 2900 and graded Sahih
Reply 19
Original post by AlifunArnab

At-Tariq ibn Shihab reported: A man asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, as he put his foot in the stirrup, “What is the most virtuous struggle (jihad)?” The Prophet said, “A word of truth in front of a tyrannical ruler.”

Your own linked source doesn't support this. Firstly, the wording is different and says "among the greatest of jihad" not "the greatest" or "most virtuous". Secondly, it's classed as Hasan, not Sahih.

This is in contrast to the Sahih hadith that claims the greatest jihad is that of bloodshed.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending