The Student Room Group

Found a iPhone, tried to keep it but returned it, would I get charged?

Okay, long story short, my mate found a phone and gave it to me since I don't have one,
I tried to them restore it so I can use it again, but then got stuck as it was locked by activation code.
So I just left it and contacted the owner on Facebook and returned it
But then they knew the phone was restored but I told them it was my mate.

So would they charge anything against my mate, (if it does come to that situation, I would take the blame because it was me)
I returned the phone and she was upset because he pictures are gone. So would they charge anything against me such as attempt robbery?
Or could they go to the police ? Would anything happen to me such criminal record against me and such? Could they do anything since all photos were deleted?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your a snake. I hope someone finds you through your picture and exposes you ****in snake.
Reply 2
Original post by Gul89
Your a snake. I hope someone finds you through your picture and exposes you ****in snake.

He didn't steal it, he found it. And I didn't mention his name nor am I going to, so relax
Reply 3
Original post by kisho6
Okay, long story short, my mate found a phone and gave it to me since I don't have one,
I tried to them restore it so I can use it again, but then got stuck as it was locked by activation code.

So would they charge anything against my mate, (if it does come to that situation, I would take the blame because it was me)
I returned the phone and she was upset because he pictures are gone. So would they charge anything against me such as attempt robbery?
Or could they go to the police ? Would anything happen to me such criminal record against me and such? Could they do anything since all photos were deleted?

Why would they charge you when you returned it although you should never have taken someone else's phone and serves you right for not able to unlock it. Get a job and buy your own phone!
Reply 4
Original post by chikane
Why would they charge you when you returned it although you should never have taken someone else's phone and serves you right for not able to unlock it. Get a job and buy your own phone!

I don't know because I did not have an intention of returning it. And it was given to me so I tried to restore it, so I can sell it. If I wanted the phone, I could have got someone else to unlock it
Original post by kisho6

All that happened was the phone was restored... They shouldn't be able to charge you because their data should be backed up on iCloud. Considering she's a she, I'm gonna put myself in her position... I'd be pretty p'd if all my photos went, but then photography is my life... She should have had it backed up on drive or something... And you have the phone back... End of. She shouldn't be able to do anything...
Reply 6
Original post by AMaster1
All that happened was the phone was restored... They shouldn't be able to charge you because their data should be backed up on iCloud. Considering she's a she, I'm gonna put myself in her position... I'd be pretty p'd if all my photos went, but then photography is my life... She should have had it backed up on drive or something... And you have the phone back... End of. She shouldn't be able to do anything...

True you have a good point, I shouldn't have done this in the first place, but then I thought to myself, why not, might as well and try and use it
But I was annoyed because the lady knew the was tried to taken as it was restored and they found it pretty suspicious, how I found them. And annoyed because I asked her what colour the phone was to be sure, it's her and she got a bit angry and that annoyed
Reply 7
Original post by kisho6
I don't know because I did not have an intention of returning it. And it was given to me so I tried to restore it, so I can sell it. If I wanted the phone, I could have got someone else to unlock it

Then just lie and say you wanted to find out who you should call and needed to go into her contacts etc to return it, she will think you are a decent human being for returning it even though your intentions were different.

What iPhone was it?
Reply 8
Original post by chikane
Then just lie and say you wanted to find out who you should call and needed to go into her contacts etc to return it, she will think you are a decent human being for returning it even though your intentions were different.

What iPhone was it?

And then yeah there no contacts because it was 'given to me as restored' but then I found out by connecting to ITunes, and it said 'Name's iPhone' and searched on Facebook.
The point is, you eventually returned the phone (though what you did was wrong, I'm sure you're aware already). Something like this has happened to me before, thankfully the person did return the phone. I had everything backed up onto my Mac anyway.

No need to press charges.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by chikane

What iPhone was it?

5s and she told me it was a company phone so she got hers replaced, but the she only wanted the photos to be exact, but then I did try to take it even though it wasn't my property, would they charge me for that as it can called attempted theft
Reply 11
Original post by kandykissesxox
The point is, you eventually returned the phone (though what you did was wrong). Something like this has happened to me before, thankfully the person did return the phone. I had everything backed up onto my Mac anyway.

No need to press charges.

True and thank you, yeah I admit it, at least you can learn from your mistakes :smile:
Reply 12
That's peak, she probably lost precious photos that meant the world to her and she'll never get back thanks to you. (If they weren't backed up).
Original post by kisho6
True and thank you, yeah I admit it, at least you can learn from your mistakes :smile:

You've got to look at it from their POV.

Welcome. :smile:
Reply 14
you only returned it after not being able to use it yourself, even when u had the means to contact the owner. Theres no higher ground here just for returning it, sure it made you feel better but in the process you deleted important digital and private information for your own gain. Any charges against you or your friend are legitimate and deserved in my opinion.
Technically yes, but highly unlikely. She has the phone back which is the main point and the police have better things to do. Wont all her photos be on icloud? Of it was locked then, restoring it when it isnt yours looks highly suspicious becayse you are circumventing secuirty measures when you know it isnt yours. I wouldnt worry though.
Reply 16
In order to be liable for theft, you'll need to dishonestly appropriate the property of another with the intention of permanently depriving it from them.

You are pretty borderline here so if she takes action it'll be up to the court. I doubt someone would go through all that though - I mean she got her phone so ultimately should be just thankful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by kisho6
He didn't steal it, he found it. And I didn't mention his name nor am I going to, so relax

Not returning goods which don't belong to you, is classed as stealing.

You were literally handling stolen goods which you only returned when they were of no use to you.

I hope you get a criminal record which ensures you will never earn more than 20k per year for the rest of your life. Hopefully cleaning toilets or something.
Reply 18
Original post by PJ
you only returned it after not being able to use it yourself, even when u had the means to contact the owner. Theres no higher ground here just for returning it, sure it made you feel better but in the process you deleted important digital and private information for your own gain. Any charges against you or your friend are legitimate and deserved in my opinion.

Exactly right.

I don't see why people are excusing what is blatant criminality.
Reply 19
Original post by *Stefan*
In order to be liable for theft, you'll need to dishonestly appropriate the property of another with the intention of permanently depriving it from them.

You are pretty borderline here so if she takes action it'll be up to the court. I doubt someone would go through all that though - I mean she got her phone so ultimately should be just thankful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She knew the phone as trying to be stolen as it as restored but she doesn't think it's me, but my mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending