The Student Room Group

Why do men still get married?

I really don't understand it. You get all the benefits of marriage that you couldn't have gotten 100 years ago without getting married e.g. sex. You will just lose everything when you get a divorce? It's like buying the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Scroll to see replies

I think you've missed the point entirely, OP. Marriage isn't just about sex (and, if it is to you… you shouldn't be getting married). It's about feeling capable of making a commitment/statement in the presence of people you know and love to a person you love. Marriage solidifies your relationship and allows you to be further trusting of each other. If people married simply for the sake of sex, it wouldn't be a massive deal to begin with. When people get married, they don't do so expecting a divorce otherwise why on earth would you marry to begin with? Mistakes happen, things can go wrong. Marriage is a big deal to a whole lot of people.
You sound so romantic.
Original post by iEthan
I think you've missed the point entirely, OP. Marriage isn't just about sex (and, if it is to you… you shouldn't be getting married). It's about feeling capable of making a commitment/statement in the presence of people you know and love to a person you love. Marriage solidifies your relationship and allows you to be further trusting of each other. If people married simply for the sake of sex, it wouldn't be a massive deal to begin with. When people get married, they don't do so expecting a divorce otherwise why on earth would you marry to begin with? Mistakes happen, things can go wrong. Marriage is a big deal to a whole lot of people.

That can all be done without signing a contract and sex was an example of what you can get without marriage but a 100 years ago it would be significantly harder. They don't go in expecting a divorce but the truth is, there is a good chance of getting a divorce. And for men, this means losing a lot including (very likely) children
Well some have religious reasons. And sometimes it's nice to get married and symbolically show your commitment the one person you love :yep:

Spoiler

Original post by Lord Samosa
Well some have religious reasons. And sometimes it's nice to get married and symbolically show your commitment the one person you love :yep:

Spoiler

Won't hurt you for that but that profile pic ....
Original post by Lord Samosa

Spoiler

Saying not being homophobic doesn't make your statement not homophobic. Why not say God I sound like a dick? I don't mind dicks being insulted.
Reply 7
I don't see why men get married nowadays. Although even when couples just live together, once they split up the woman can still take the man for all he's worth thanks to the new status of the 'common-law wife' which is ridiculous.
Original post by Bealzibub
That can all be done without signing a contract and sex was an example of what you can get without marriage but a 100 years ago it would be significantly harder. They don't go in expecting a divorce but the truth is, there is a good chance of getting a divorce. And for men, this means losing a lot including (very likely) children

No need to make the argument so male centric, many divorces with children involved (unless there's good reason) end in joint custody w/ a private arrangement. I live with my mum full-time and see my dad when I can. He is not prohibited from seeing me. Of course these things can be done without a contract i.e. marriage. But your argument is like saying… 'Why learn to drive when you can get the bus/walk?'. Marriage is sentimental to a lot of people, an experience, something desirable, a statement. For me, I'm not bothered too much about it but people do what they want to, nobody is forcing either way. :h:
Original post by Legendairy
Won't hurt you for that but that profile pic ....

Why? You got a problem with fedoras? :frown:

Original post by mscaffrey
Saying not being homophobic doesn't make your statement not homophobic. Why not say God I sound like a dick? I don't mind dicks being insulted.

http://youtu.be/I7hQN4Amaeg

It's not homophobic, South Park said so
If you marry somebody with the expectation that it'll end in divorce, then why even bother? You've just laid the foundation for a failure. When I get married it's gonna be to someone I know I'l going to live the rest of my life with...if it was just for sex why even go to the dating stage instead of an fwb?
Original post by abc101
I don't see why men get married nowadays. Although even when couples just live together, once they split up the woman can still take the man for all he's worth thanks to the new status of the 'common-law wife' which is ridiculous.

this. you've just summed up what the OP was alluding to in his opening statement, but was unable to word accurately.

this is the reason why men shouldn't be getting married nowadays. it is a harsh, cold reality; but our reality as of present nonetheless.
Reply 12

Or say "God I sound like a pussy". Oh no, I forgot, feminism doesn't allow that any more :wink:
Reply 13
Because when the time is right men value commitment and security too, kids and and an environment to bring up those kids. Despite the flaws marriage as an ideal remains popular.
Original post by Dheorl
Or say "God I sound like a pussy". Oh no, I forgot, feminism doesn't allow that any more :wink:

Well, if you're a woman you're welcome to call yourself a pussy or a bitch or whatever female insult you can think of. That's why I suggested dick for a guy.
Reply 15
Well, if you're a woman you're welcome to call yourself a pussy or a bitch or whatever female insult you can think of. That's why I suggested dick for a guy.

Lol, oh, so to you it's like a black guy calling someone a ******?

From what I've heard most feminists want to ban the word pussy for use as anything but slang for a woman's vagina.
I know what you mean.

Many men today are boycotting marriage and parenthood. Hence the large number of women out there who are unmarried and childless against their wishes.

Part of me believes in marriage and would like to spend my life with a great woman.

At the same time I am also quite cynical about it. I am realistic about the fact that we can't rely on anyone else for happiness.

It is too risky to give another person so much power over you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3046350/Why-men-refuse-marry-Women-complain-chaps-today-won-t-settle-Sorry-ladies-s-fault-argues-wickedly-provocative-new-book-Denigration-Men-PETER-LLOYD.html
Original post by Bealzibub
I really don't understand it. You get all the benefits of marriage that you couldn't have gotten 100 years ago without getting married e.g. sex. You will just lose everything when you get a divorce? It's like buying the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Its not just men its the same for women too. Some women i know, like my aunt, who are married are just basically running round for the non working husband, working all day then comming home to make his tea. He used to ring her up asking when she would be home! This is what my aunt has done most of her life and now he has developed dementia so she is finding it very hard to cope with all the **** in her life.

It just makes me think why buy the whole pig when you can get sausages for free, this would be particularly easy for women too with all the randy men out there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because it is nice and romantic and I wouldn't get married with the assumption that I'd be divorced.
Reply 19
I much rather the sanctity of the commitment of marriage in which to raise children and strive towards better as a family unit than we could achieve as single entities.

Marriage is not for everyone and individual mindsets come to play in the success or otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending