The Student Room Group

saxophone notes

Hey folks, Im looking for some tutorials on learning the basic notes for an Alto sax. Figured start with notes then go with chords

Ive just started (yesterday) with a nice sounding alto Sax. Ive searched on youtube and so far found the tutorial for the notes B, A, G but that seems to be it.

Im looking for step by step tutorials preferably with correct finger placements to learn the others.

Thanks folks
Original post by silverbolt
Hey folks, Im looking for some tutorials on learning the basic notes for an Alto sax. Figured start with notes then go with chords

Ive just started (yesterday) with a nice sounding alto Sax. Ive searched on youtube and so far found the tutorial for the notes B, A, G but that seems to be it.

Im looking for step by step tutorials preferably with correct finger placements to learn the others.

Thanks folks

Hey, I can't think of any tutorials off the top of my head but I play alto saxophone so if you have any questions feel free to ask :biggrin:

Thanks folks

You are aware you can't play chords on the saxophone?

I have been playing for quite awhile now and about to do my grade 8. I never really have used youtube for learning, more for listening and improving my ear. However, I have been at the point which you are starting now.

Firstly, focus on B - A - G and make sure your finger stance is correct. Index finger held on B, middle finger A and one next to pinky G. These are starting notes.

I find it hard to describe to you as the process of learning is a bit blurred for me now. However, I notice that essentially the saxophone is simply a chromatic. As you go down/up and add one fingering, you go to the next note in line. As you advance into sharps and flats, you'll find that the same pattern is applied. Youtube is your best bet and there is loads out there for you. Pictures may also help but it is vital to make sure you are holding sax properly. I would also recommend a teacher to get the correct embouchure.
Reply 3
Original post by Khanthebrit
You are aware you can't play chords on the saxophone?

I have been playing for quite awhile now and about to do my grade 8. I never really have used youtube for learning, more for listening and improving my ear. However, I have been at the point which you are starting now.

Firstly, focus on B - A - G and make sure your finger stance is correct. Index finger held on B, middle finger A and one next to pinky G. These are starting notes.

I find it hard to describe to you as the process of learning is a bit blurred for me now. However, I notice that essentially the saxophone is simply a chromatic. As you go down/up and add one fingering, you go to the next note in line. As you advance into sharps and flats, you'll find that the same pattern is applied. Youtube is your best bet and there is loads out there for you. Pictures may also help but it is vital to make sure you are holding sax properly. I would also recommend a teacher to get the correct embouchure.

No i wasnt aware there are no chords, as i said i only picked it up the other day and just started..

B A G im fairly comfortable with, still making errors with breathing but that will come in time.

I live in the middle of no where in Western Ireland, sax teachers very few and far between im afraid lol.

THanks for the advice :biggrin:
No i wasnt aware there are no chords, as i said i only picked it up the other day and just started..

B A G im fairly comfortable with, still making errors with breathing but that will come in time.

I live in the middle of no where in Western Ireland, sax teachers very few and far between im afraid lol.

THanks for the advice :biggrin:

I would just like to apologize for the opening sentence to my quote, it sounded a little bit patronizing and was not intended to be that way. All I can really say is use video tutorials then. I won't lie, but if you have a good teacher it can significantly improve your playing but, the cost to this is of course the money. My lessons cost £25 per hour, and this is the going average from where I am from. Then again, it depends on the teacher, some will charge less. However, nothing beats practice.

As you go higher up the scale, you will have to tighten your embouchure a lot more. When it comes to breathing, you want to be using your diaphragm. Open up your throat all the way like you would when breathing on a window to see the condensation and push from the diaphragm. Don't be afraid to take breaths when you need to, but obviously the best places to take them is within rests of music or places were a small pause would not effect the quality of the piece.

I remember the first book I started off with was abracadabra alto saxophone. It wasn't instruction based, but has simple melodies from beginners to grade 3 which could help improve your sight reading and teach you the fingering.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I would just like to apologize for the opening sentence to my quote, it sounded a little bit patronizing and was not intended to be that way. All I can really say is use video tutorials then. I won't lie, but if you have a good teacher it can significantly improve your playing but, the cost to this is of course the money. My lessons cost £25 per hour, and this is the going average from where I am from. Then again, it depends on the teacher, some will charge less. However, nothing beats practice.

As you go higher up the scale, you will have to tighten your embouchure a lot more. When it comes to breathing, you want to be using your diaphragm. Open up your throat all the way like you would when breathing on a window to see the condensation and push from the diaphragm. Don't be afraid to take breaths when you need to, but obviously the best places to take them is within rests of music or places were a small pause would not effect the quality of the piece.

I remember the first book I started off with was abracadabra alto saxophone. It wasn't instruction based, but has simple melodies from beginners to grade 3 which could help improve your sight reading and teach you the fingering.

Im getting quite confident with the basic lower register, i struggle a bit with C (the one button note) but its getting there.

But when i go for the upper register, that where it goes to pot, open the octave by the left thumb rest and it just comes out as a squeal or a squak not a musical note at all. Maybe thats where im going wrong and my embouchure not tight enough?
Im getting quite confident with the basic lower register, i struggle a bit with C (the one button note) but its getting there.

But when i go for the upper register, that where it goes to pot, open the octave by the left thumb rest and it just comes out as a squeal or a squak not a musical note at all. Maybe thats where im going wrong and my embouchure not tight enough?

Perhaps but you don't want to overtighten. This traps the air flowing down from the reed. The reed vibrates. If you tighten too much then the air is distorted and produces squeaks and squarks.

The best thing I can say is work your way up. The lowest note produced with the octave key is D. First get your fingering ready: 6 fingers down, thumb on ocatave. Then focus on your embouchure. It needs to be fairly tight but for notes like this not too tight. Blow. If it fails, try again. Loosen a bit. Tighten a bit. At the end of the day it is about mouth muscles. You kind of want to be smiling while playing. It is hard to describe over computer but everything I relay to you is what my teacher shows me. You'll get there though.
Reply 7
Original post by Blondie987
Hey, I can't think of any tutorials off the top of my head but I play alto saxophone so if you have any questions feel free to ask :biggrin:

xxx.

this sax is kicking my absolute ass, 9 out of 10 time i cannot hit bottom register B it just comes out all warbly or worse. Ive changed the reed twice, tried changing my breathing and just cannot hit it, its actually getting me quite disheartened as i seem to be getting worse.

One of the issues i have is there is no one around to help me as i dont know any other sax players. Theres no one who i can ask to listen and advise
this sax is kicking my absolute ass, 9 out of 10 time i cannot hit bottom register B it just comes out all warbly or worse. Ive changed the reed twice, tried changing my breathing and just cannot hit it, its actually getting me quite disheartened as i seem to be getting worse.

One of the issues i have is there is no one around to help me as i dont know any other sax players. Theres no one who i can ask to listen and advise

The lowest and highest notes need the most air and it might be a good idea to play it as part of a scale so the air is already going if that make sense? Rather than just tying to reach it on its own, don't be disheartened! You'll get there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest