The Student Room Group

Mega A Level Maths Thread - Mark V

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You're left with 2t21t4dt\displaystyle 2 \int \dfrac{t^2}{\sqrt{1-t^4}}dt which doesn't seem doable using C4 techniques.

I = ....
Then try to find I2 I^{2}
Guys can I ask what's your tips to doing well at mechanics 1 (I suck at it)? :smile:
Original post by funky386
Guys can I ask what's your tips to doing well at mechanics 1 (I suck at it)? :smile:

Have you been doing questions from the textbook? :smile:
Original post by funky386

Review exercises are really helpful. Remember to consider everything in a question logically though. M1 is really intuitive
Original post by GeologyMaths
By using u2=sin(x) u^{2} = sin(x)
Find, sin(x)dx \int{\sqrt{sin(x)}} dx

You're left with 2u21u4du\displaystyle 2 \int \dfrac{u^2}{\sqrt{1-u^4}}du which doesn't seem doable using C4 techniques.

I'll need to ask that nobody bothers answering GeologyMaths ridiculous questions. sinxdx\int \sqrt{\sin x} \, \mathrm{d}x cannot expressed in terms of elementary fractions and it's fairly sad that he's trolling a maths forum, but that's not my problem.

In any case, you can express the integral in terms of a Legendre integral and an elliptic integral (of the second incomplete kind):

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int \sqrt{\sin x}\ \mathrm{d}x=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\Gamma \left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^2-2 \text{EllipticE}\left[\frac{1}{4} (\pi -2x),2\right],\quad 0\leq x \leq \pi \end{equation*}

Original post by Student403
Really!? What's the strategy?

1992 STEP I, Q1. Solution here. But other than that, there are plenty of algorithms and tricks to find the weekday of dates, a quick google/wikipedia look up should unearth them.
Original post by Zacken
I'll need to ask that nobody bothers answering GeologyMaths ridiculous questions. sinxdx\int \sqrt{\sin x} \, \mathrm{d}x cannot expressed in terms of elementary fractions and it's fairly sad that he's trolling a maths forum, but that's not my problem.

In any case, you can express the integral in terms of a Legendre integral and an elliptic integral (of the second incomplete kind):

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int \sqrt{\sin x}\ \mathrm{d}x=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\Gamma \left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^2-2 \text{EllipticE}\left[\frac{1}{4} (\pi -2x),2\right],\quad 0\leq x \leq \pi \end{equation*}

It's why I bolded the A level part. You should invite him over to the hard problems threads.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
It's why I bolded the A level part. You should invite him over to the hard problems threads.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Nah, he's just a sad sad troll who doesn't actually know any maths.
Original post by Zacken

Im not trolling im an A2 student sitting the exams in June
Original post by Zacken
1992 STEP I, Q1. Solution here. But other than that, there are plenty of algorithms and tricks to find the weekday of dates, a quick google/wikipedia look up should unearth them.

Thanks! (I am not going to bother asking how in hell you found that 2007 post :rofl: )
Original post by GeologyMaths
Im not trolling im an A2 student sitting the exams in June

Lol. You're a sad troll, your maths ability is pathetic.
Original post by Zacken

Ok, take a look at your face
Original post by Zacken

Lol. Wonder what you think of the likes of me then :tongue:.

Taking things back on topic, do you do specific A level prep anymore? I imagine STEP might suffice for at least some topics?
Lol. Wonder what you think of the likes of me then :tongue:.

Taking things back on topic, do you do specific A level prep anymore? I imagine STEP might suffice for at least some topics?

Nothing like that, trolls irritate me!

Uhm, I do the occasional FP2 past paper (they can be relaxing compared to STEP!) and I'm currently working through FP3 Vectors, so I'll be doing a few FP3 papers as well.
Does anyone have any tips/resources for getting through Edexcel M4's relative motion chapter? I'm currently sweating my arse off struggling on almost every question :rofl:
Does anyone have any tips/resources for getting through Edexcel M4's relative motion chapter? I'm currently sweating my arse off struggling on almost every question :rofl:

Search up relative motion on youtube and watch a bunch of examples/lectures. That's what I did for my GCSE's, still pissed at how they put Rel Motion in my IGCSE, but it worked. :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
Search up relative motion on youtube and watch a bunch of examples/lectures. That's what I did for my GCSE's, still pissed at how they put Rel Motion in my IGCSE, but it worked. :rofl:

Ouch that's harsh! Thanks though I will :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=237097

Also according to this FP3 is needed for M5? Do you know which parts?
Ouch that's harsh! Thanks though I will :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=237097

Also according to this FP3 is needed for M5? Do you know which parts?

Vector/scalar product stuff. :yep:
Original post by Zacken
Vector/scalar product stuff. :yep:

Ohh okay thanks :colondollar:
Ohh okay thanks :colondollar:

I think you need the vector product to work out moments of forces? Not sure though.

De nada. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending