The Student Room Group

Do we need a British Islam? (BBC Big Questions)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkap
the vast majority of british muslims have integrated fine in British society. its the extreme ones who go OTT and ruin things for us by giving us a dumb label.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
nice signature !!!

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Hydeman
Thank you. :smile:

hopefully the beginning of many ...!!
No we need an Islamic Britain!
Original post by Dinasaurus

No we don't
We can live a religion without making a fuss :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mariachi
totally wrong, and the fact that the point was hotly debated is proof to that : and not only from a purely theoretical point of view, but also a practical one

The fact that Adam Deen only had one point to contribute, wanting to involve the others and make the discussion revolve around this one topic, means nothing.

The panel and audience didn't so much as discuss whether there is a need for a British Islam so much as "What shall we do about apostates?" and kudos to those who were sitting on the right of Adam, and to the left of Adam, who valiantly tried to get the topic back on track.

apostates in the UK can go through very difficult times. Why don't you check with our ex-Muslim members ?

I will do but I maintain the fact that Adam only came to talk about one thing, a thing which the 3.5 million Muslims in the UK are not concerned about because not all of them are intending on becoming apostates.

This was a discussion on whether there should be a British Islam, and certainly not on "What do you think of people that leave Islam?".
Original post by Truthman
"probably is irrelevant to the 3.5 million Muslims in the UK" = you have no clue what you are talking about. You are making baseless assumptions.

You say regarding apostasy laws "it isn't at all relevant to Muslims in Britain today" but you do not explain how/why this is the case. Could it be that "the unbelievers" would not tolerate "muslims" killing ex muslims who leave islam? Well what about tomorrow, will the islamic apostasy laws be "irrelevant" to an ever growing "muslim" community? Hypothetically, britian could become a nation that is governed completely by sharia law at some point in the future. As khalid mahmood said in condemning "muslims" calling for sharia "you (muslims) can only call for sharia when muslims are predominant ( I can dig up source if needed":wink:. The word "predominant" means "greater in number". Your future, or non future as some could argue, will be determined by numbers.

Apostasy, within the context of the debate, was a tangential point.

The panel and audience were there to discuss whether there could be a British Islam, and not "What shall we do with apostates?".

As the vast majority of Muslims in the UK are not planning on becoming apostates, then yes, it is a topic that is quite irrelevant in their eyes.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Adam only came to talk about one thing, a thing which the 3.5 million Muslims in the UK are not concerned about because not all of them are intending on becoming apostates..
apostasy is an important concern for Muslims even if "not all of them are intending to become apostates". As a start, even 10-20% leaving would be quite a shock, I would say... In any case, Muslims go on Islamic webforums and ask about apostasy: "my brother is leaving Islam , what should I do ? how should I treat him, what should I say ?"

And, the death penalty for apostasy has a huge symbolic importance : it is an absolute no-no for any person who adheres to our ideals of a secular democracy, and probably the single most shocking feature of Islam

Many Muslims themselves (in my experience) have problems in getting their minds around it so, quite logically, it will be one of the focal points of discussion between conservatives and modernists - which is itself part of the debate about a "British Islam", compatible with our model of society

The issue is a wide one : how does a religion evolve over time ? what, in a revelation and in a religious tradition, should be contextualised and what not ? are Shariah rules to take into account changes intervened in contemporary societies, and to what extent ?

so, the debate on apostasy is not only topical, but also highly symbolic
(edited 8 years ago)
Apostasy, within the context of the debate, was a tangential point.

The panel and audience were there to discuss whether there could be a British Islam, and not "What shall we do with apostates?".

As the vast majority of Muslims in the UK are not planning on becoming apostates, then yes, it is a topic that is quite irrelevant in their eyes.

Would a "british islam" include death to apostates? This is the point. If muslims who agree with death to apostates are speaking about a "british islam", you would have to wonder what kind of "british islam" they are desiring. One way to recognize islamists is in how they view apostates. If they are islamists, then you can identify the type of "islam" they desire for britian (authentic islam).So the point is not "tangential" as you claim. I would even say its a fundamental and very revealing point.
Original post by mariachi
apostasy is an important concern for Muslims even if "not all of them are intending to become apostates". As a start, even 10-20% leaving would be quite a shock, I would say... In any case, Muslims go on Islamic webforums and ask abourt apostasy: "my brother is leaving Islam , what should I do ? how should I treat him, what should I say ?"

And, the death penalty for apostasy has a huge symbolic importance : it is an absolute no-no for any person who adheres to our ideals of a secular democracy, and probably the single most shocking feature of Islam

Many Muslims themselves (in my experience) have problems in getting their minds around it so, quite logically, it will be one of the focal points of discussion between conservatives and modernists

The issue is a wide one : how does a religion evolve over time ? what, in a revelation, should be contextualised and what not ? are Shariah rules to take into account changes intervened in contemporary societies, and to what extent ?

so, the debate on apostasy is not only topical, but also highly symbolic

Original post by Truthman
Would a "british islam" include death to apostates? This is the point. If muslims who agree with death to apostates are speaking about a "british islam", you would have to wonder what kind of "british islam" they are desiring. One way to recognize islamists is in how they view apostates. If they are islamists, then you can identify the type of "islam" they desire for britian (authentic islam).So the point is not "tangential" as you claim. I would even say its a fundamental and very revealing point.

Whilst I appreciate your points, I do not particularly feel it would be beneficial of my time to discuss the best way to flog Adam Deen's dead horse.

best
Reply 50
Can't all religious people just do society a big favour and jump off a tall building?
Reply 51
Original post by Dinasaurus

Yes we have no bananas.
Whilst I appreciate your points, I do not particularly feel it would be beneficial of my time to discuss the best way to flog Adam Deen's dead horse.

best

Fine. But know that you have only claimed "apostasy, a concept which probably is irrelevant to the 3.5 million Muslims in the UK.", but thus far have not explained why this is the case, proof that this is the case, or why we should assume that your presumption even if true would not change among muslims to fit in line with a "british islam".

Effectively, britians future peace could depend on the whims of muslims. This is something that will always be unacceptable to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAJAHAHAHAHAHAHA

British Islam???
Next thing you know , they'll be a jewish Islam aswell.

Utter joke this world has come to.
Reply 54
Yes, he brought up apostasy because it is a crime in some Muslim countries but it isn't at all relevant to Muslims in Britain today.

When at least a third of young British Muslims believe that killing apostates is justifiable, it is hardly irrelevant. Deen's central point is about the ethical ideas in conflict with British values such as maintaining personal freedom and human rights in general. To quote Civitas:

"Even if the laws for the punishment of homosexuals or apostates may not be applied in the UK, the many rulings that treat execution as valid in such cases can only reinforce deep‐seated prejudices and hatred. To the extent that Muslims are taught to consider homosexuality as a crime or apostasy as grievous sin encouraged by the principle of free choice in religion, sanctioned by human rights law, Muslim individuals and families will find it harder than it need be to live in Western society without finding themselves in daily conflict with some of the noblest values Western civilisation has brought into being. For our social and legal systems to indulge prejudices like these while we continue to fight racism, homophobia and even Islamophobia throughout the rest of society is one indulgence too many. If Muslim schools do not teach their pupils that gay men and women are human beings with rights, or that changing one’s religion is a basic human right, or that women have exactly the same rights as men, then we have to find other ways in which these important lessons may be taught and learned. If we could educate a new generation of Muslims to understand issues like human rights better, there might be some hope that they would demand changes in sharia law, and perhaps its suspension except in matters of worship and ethics, which are hardly contentious."

http://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/ShariaLawOrOneLawForAll.pdf
Reply 55
I don't know how we've arrived at the year 2016 and are sitting here honestly discussing whether we need to encourage and embrace yet more belief in the supernatural and how that could somehow be of benefit to society.
Reply 56
What is British Islam? how can a religion be a nationality?
What exactly is integrating in British society?
This term "integration" has lost its meaning.

Is it having parties and hanging out in bars? ROFL :biggrin:
Reply 58
No we don't.
Reply 59
That episode was juicy. Idk why they left the most interesting question till last.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending