The Student Room Group

Lending a brand new book to someone which I will never do again!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlindingLight
What about broken dildos?

If its not broken, are you really using it right?
Original post by BlindingLight
You just played yourself by lending it to her.

DJ khaled :mmm:
Did you mention anything to her about the state of the book when it was returned?
Reply 23
Original post by ~xSarahx~
I completely understand! I love keeping my books in great condition. I take care when I read my own books - I take extra care when I read a borrowed book (most of the time, though, the book I borrow from someone is in shambles anyway).

The fact that she had it for 6 months is crazy! Gosh. When someone lends something to you, you don't keep it for half a year! And you don't have to ask for it back! It was yours in the first place - shame on your friend for not giving it back much much sooner.

This is why I never let anyone borrow my books.

(Sorry for the rant :colondollar: This lending business and getting things back broken, or just never actually getting them back again really makes me mad. Lots of bad experiences :colonhash:)

No don't be sorry :smile: wish there were more people like you. She is definitely not a friend lol and yes it was too long but i assumed it was a huge book that it would take a while to read not 6 months though :s-smilie:.
The thing is if i found a new job i needed that book back and was worried she wouldn't return it soon so I emailed her as she was on annual leave and said i wanted it back as i noted the week before she said she was nearly finished and she said she would and 2 days later she returned it don't know if she finished it but i wanted to smack her when i saw the book.
6 months is ridiculous although if she was my friend it would not bother me as much as i know i will be in contact with them if i needed it back (but my friends don't read so i don't need to worry), don't know how long i will be in contact with this person so just asked for it back as she was taking the piss.

You should ask them to return your items. I was hesitant in asking this person for my book back but they had enough time to read it.
Reply 24
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Did you mention anything to her about the state of the book when it was returned?

No but think my face said it all lol, i hate confrontations and she wasn't a friend she is the type to bark back and i didn't want to cause any aggro i was being nice lending it to her and she had it for 6 months and i may as well have said to her keep it as it dosen't look like it belonged to me.
Original post by chikane
No but think my face said it all lol, i hate confrontations and she wasn't a friend she is the type to bark back and i didn't want to cause any aggro i was being nice lending it to her and she had it for 6 months and i may as well have said to her keep it as it dosen't look like it belonged to me.

Was she not embarrassed returning it in a state like that? And after so long!
Reply 26
Original post by homeland.lsw
oh, I thought you were some crazy person that wrapped their books up in bubble wrap, and had the pages just open so you could just about read whats in it without creasing the spine.

in that case what a bitch, let her rot in jail

Lol no i don't do that but as it was brand new which i haven't read yet and she made it all used it dosen't feel like it belongs to me :cry:

I wish i could throw her in jail for abusing my book.
Reply 27
Was she not embarrassed returning it in a state like that? And after so long!

She is the type to act cold she handed it back to me and that's it, don't think she is the type to get embarrassed.
I did ask her months ago how was the book (i was hoping she would ask 'oh you want it back' then i would have said yes as someone else needed to borrow it) and she said 'trying to get into it as its quite hard to read :angry:. Could not have asked for it back then.

Mmm could eat a carrot cake now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chikane
She is the type to act cold she handed it back to me and that's it, don't think she is the type to get embarrassed.
I did ask her months ago how was the book (i was hoping she would ask 'oh you want it back' then i would have said yes as someone else needed to borrow it) and she said 'trying to get into it as its quite hard to read :angry:. Could not have asked for it back then.

Mmm could eat a carrot cake now.

I personally wouldn't lend stuff if it wasn't to a friend of mine. That being said if she wasn't this close to you she should have taken more care. Ugh some people.

Awh I'm sorry if I'm making you hungry :tongue:

At least it's not a pic of a carrot cake xD
Original post by chikane
There there :hugs: lot of disgusting idiots around with no respect for other people's possessions.

Ikr.

If people lend me things I make a big effort to look after them and return them in their original condition.

Some people are unbelievable. The thing that annoys me the most is when they actually 'forget' that you lent them something.

Buy your own f*cking stuff! :wink:
Reply 30
I personally wouldn't lend stuff if it wasn't to a friend of mine. That being said if she wasn't this close to you she should have taken more care. Ugh some people.

Awh I'm sorry if I'm making you hungry :tongue:

At least it's not a pic of a carrot cake xD

We do spend a lot of time together at work so thought she would like to read it as we were discussing books didn't think it would take half the year to get it back all creased and dog eared.
Won't be lending anything unless its to a friend.

:drool: I have been craving cake all day lol
Reply 31
Original post by stefano865
Ikr.

If people lend me things I make a big effort to look after them and return them in their original condition.

Some people are unbelievable. The thing that annoys me the most is when they actually 'forget' that you lent them something.

Buy your own f*cking stuff! :wink:

If only more people would have some respect it just shows if people could do this then clearly they have no respect for me and no apology I got for the state of the book.
How can someone forget that you lent them something? I bet they say it on purpose to keep hold of it longer.
Original post by chikane
We do spend a lot of time together at work so thought she would like to read it as we were discussing books didn't think it would take half the year to get it back all creased and dog eared.
Won't be lending anything unless its to a friend.

:drool: I have been craving cake all day lol

What other books do you own? Just realised you probably own a copious amount.. So which books do you treasure the most?

Has dinner not filled you up :smile:
I still remember flipping out at my mate in Science because he creased the cover of the instruction manual of a PS2 game (The Getaway) I lent him.
Reply 34
What other books do you own? Just realised you probably own a copious amount.. So which books do you treasure the most?

Has dinner not filled you up :smile:

To be honest I don't have many books I do have a copy of the hobbit and the highway code but usually I borrow from the library. That sounds terrible but I don't have space for lots of books.
If I had to say which book it would be all 7 of the Harry Potter books and Memoir of a Geisha as that is my favourite book.
What about you?

No I have been getting cravings but I have decided to exercise as my friend is trying to compete with me she is 3 pounds heavier than me and we will have a weigh in on Wednesday lol.
Reply 35
Original post by WoodyMKC
I still remember flipping out at my mate in Science because he creased the cover of the instruction manual of a PS2 game (The Getaway) I lent him.

Lol I never read an instruction manual when I played games but that was 15 years ago when I had the ps1. Don't understand how anyone can crease it just flick through it.
Reply 36
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'd write to your MP if I were you :shakecane:

Dear Mr MP,

I am not happy because in August i lent my book to a colleague which was brand new and as she is a big fan of the tv series thought she would like to borrow it. Months passed and still i did not receive it back.6 months went by and In the end i emailed her and asked for it back she returned it and it was all dog eared and creased was not expecting it to be returned in that state.
I will never lend my book to anyone and would like a law enforced to prosecute those who don't treat borrowed books with respect.
I hope she rots in hell.

Ta for reading,

Chikane
Original post by chikane
In August I thought I would give my colleague a brand new book to read as I haven't had a chance to read it but she is a massive fan so thought she would like to borrow it. I bought 2 Games of Thrones book so gave her book 1

Here is what a brand new book 2 looks like

She had it for 6 months and last month I asked her to give it back as someone wants to read it (which was a lie) I was worried she will have it for months and months.

So got book 1 back in this condition

It looks all horrible and creased :frown: and if someone lent me a brand new book to borrow would take care of it. Am I being unreasonable she did have it for 6 months and it pissed me off seeing it all used as if it was hers.

So has anyone had an awful experience? Sorry the images are sideways.

She can dream on if she is getting anywhere near my clean book 2

I lent a book to my best friend before and she took it to school with her to read (which is fair enough, I don't go anywhere without a book in my bag). Someone in her class took the book from her and scribbled all up the side of it (on the pages side, not the spine) in pen, so now it's ruined!!! She normally looks after my books but her school was really awful. Also, 6 months is a long time to lend a book in my opinion?
Secondly, I never lend people books unless I've read it myself first!
I'm sorry about your book though, that really sucks :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by blamethenargles
I lent a book to my best friend before and she took it to school with her to read (which is fair enough, I don't go anywhere without a book in my bag). Someone in her class took the book from her and scribbled all up the side of it (on the pages side, not the spine) in pen, so now it's ruined!!! She normally looks after my books but her school was really awful. Also, 6 months is a long time to lend a book in my opinion?
Secondly, I never lend people books unless I've read it myself first!
I'm sorry about your book though, that really sucks :frown:

Very immature person to do that that is terrible! yes but it is around 700 pages and i assumed she was busy so couldn't read regularly but it did bother me she had it for 6 months. I didn't feel comfortable asking for it back earlier even though it's my book.
Yes you are right i should have read it first but i don't have time to read which is why i won't borrow books from people.
I have never lent anyone a book before so dis not know this would happen.

Sorry to hear about your book as well i should be thankful there is no stains or marks on the pages so far.
(edited 8 years ago)
Im still waiting for my 2nd Percy Jackson Series to come back to me after lending it to a friend.. 4 years has past and I'm still waiting... My bookshelf looks so weird without the 2nd installment.

However, I love when my books are a little bit trashy cause it shows I've brought it everywhere I go. If it's too neat, it looks as though I cared too much about the aesthetics of the book rather than the story of the book itself and that's not the point of owning a book!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending