The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone doing the Freshfields law work experience set up by SEO Scholars starting Monday?
Original post by dfradkin
Bristol, thats it. Not keen on going there at all. You know if there is a chance I can have a try at kcl through adjustment?

Where you at the offer holders day? My son thought it was very good and future employers know that lots of talented students who don't make it into Oxbridge will opt for Bristol. Have a look at all the top law firms and you will see that many recruit from Bristol. Most of the lecturers went to Oxbridge and have good contacts. Something for you to think about. My son missed his offer for LSE and took the year out to reapply. No word yet but it's given him time to look at other universities.
Original post by Cholesta
Where you at the offer holders day? My son thought it was very good and future employers know that lots of talented students who don't make it into Oxbridge will opt for Bristol. Have a look at all the top law firms and you will see that many recruit from Bristol. Most of the lecturers went to Oxbridge and have good contacts. Something for you to think about. My son missed his offer for LSE and took the year out to reapply. No word yet but it's given him time to look at other universities.

Hi, is your son resittiing some a2 exams and if you don't minds what did he get at GCSEs AS and a2:biggrin:
It's just that I'm thinking of reapplying next year for lse and Oxford as I didn't apply first round

I regret not applying to LSE after all, as they do not use the LNAT. Aside from that, I had a competitive application. Anyway thanks for the advice, but going to Bristol seems out of place - I just don't see myself there, as opposed to King's. Bristol may be good, but it definitely isn't King's .
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Hi, is your son resittiing some a2 exams and if you don't minds what did he get at GCSEs AS and a2:biggrin:
It's just that I'm thinking of reapplying next year for lse and Oxford as I didn't apply first round

7A*4A's at GCSE.He did amazingly well as his dad died of cancer right in the middle of his exams. He even had to sit an exam an hour before his dad's funeral. He got 4A,s at as. Then during his A level exams it was the anniversary of his dad's death and it really affected him. He ended up with AAB which was way below his predictions. LSE wouldn't take him even with extenuating circumstances so he's reapplied. Got a 31 LNAT and predicted A*A*AA with an extra A at as which will bring him up to 5. Yes, he is resitting a module and fast tracking another A level.
I regret not applying to LSE after all, as they do not use the LNAT. Aside from that, I had a competitive application. Anyway thanks for the advice, but going to Bristol seems out of place - I just don't see myself there, as opposed to King's. Bristol may be good, but it definitely isn't King's .

whats the hype over kings? i dont get it
7A*4A's at GCSE.He did amazingly well as his dad died of cancer right in the middle of his exams. He even had to sit an exam an hour before his dad's funeral. He got 4A,s at as. Then during his A level exams it was the anniversary of his dad's death and it really affected him. He ended up with AAB which was way below his predictions. LSE wouldn't take him even with extenuating circumstances so he's reapplied. Got a 31 LNAT and predicted A*A*AA with an extra A at as which will bring him up to 5. Yes, he is resitting a module and fast tracking another A level.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Given his circumstances he has done amazingly well and he should be very proud of himself! This year I fear I will get A*AB would it be worth reapplying next year after resiting the B and fast tracking another subject like your son did, given that I do not have any exenuating circumstances?
I'm really sorry to hear that. Given his circumstances he has done amazingly well and he should be very proud of himself! This year I fear I will get A*AB would it be worth reapplying next year after resiting the B and fast tracking another subject like your son did, given that I do not have any exenuating circumstances?

It's strange because last year my son got his LSE offer beginning of Nov so he must have really impressed them. He hasn't heard from them this year, still waiting. They don't like resits at all. He was told it would put him at a disadvantage. Believe it or not Oxford don't mind at all though he didn't apply there. Did you apply to Notts and Bristol?
What are your AS grades? Are you uk or international?

I got AAAA at AS and I'm UK
That is rather reassuring though strange for Oxford. I didn't apply to Bristol only Nottingham and I have got an offer with 25 in lnat although I think I may end up with A*AB so I may have to reapply with a resit and another fast track a level. However I have got a gap year placement At a major law firm (pinsent masons) for next year so I hope to reapply if I don't get the grades and if I do I may decide to go to Nottingham or reapply none the less

I think Nottingham will accept you if you marginally miss that offer. Are you going to any of Nottingham's offer holder days?
Original post by HeisenbergWW
I got AAAA at AS and I'm UK

That explains it, I'm international
Original post by Satoshii
whats the hype over kings? i dont get it

Ranking wise you may not see it, but it's actually a top top law school - marginally behind UCL and LSE in reality
Original post by Satoshii
got an offer from southampton, WW and Leeds to go, anyone else applied to southampton or manchester? :redface:

Congratulations on your offers! I've also got an offer from Southampton and Warwick :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Nottingham will accept you if you marginally miss that offer. Are you going to any of Nottingham's offer holder days?

I do hope so.... I do intend to visit an offer holder day I just need to book it. Are your visiting an offer holder day?
I do hope so.... I do intend to visit an offer holder day I just need to book it. Are your visiting an offer holder day?

Yes. The only thing my son is worried about is the fact Notts don't give out many firsts. He would like to do a MA at Oxford or a top American uni and they will only take firsts.
Ranking wise you may not see it, but it's actually a top top law school - marginally behind UCL and LSE in reality

You realise Bristol is only one place below King's in the law rankings, and in the overall rankings Bristol is way ahead of King's?
Original post by elise1998
You realise Bristol is only one place below King's in the law rankings, and in the overall rankings Bristol is way ahead of King's?

I think when it comes to getting a job with top law firms, Bristol is more highly regarded as is Nottingham. Believe me, I've checked most of the firms.
I've checked most of the firms.

Meaning what? How have you 'checked'?
Original post by returnmigrant
Meaning what? How have you 'checked'?

Go on to the firms website. Then go to people and you will find all the people who work for the firm across the world. If you look at qualifications and education you will see the uni they attended.
Yes. The only thing my son is worried about is the fact Notts don't give out many firsts. He would like to do a MA at Oxford or a top American uni and they will only take firsts.

I would like to do the bar in either California or New York as they are the only states to accept foreign law degrees. I hope to do an MA before that also so I also worry about this problem with Notts. However the campus and standard of teaching look fantastic so I am really torn at the moment

Latest