The Student Room Group

White people are underrepresented in the American music industry?

] d
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HepaxLegomenon
Just out of curiosity I decided to google the top 40 at the moment in the US and figure out what percentage of artists/groups are black, white or other.

My findings (Only band/artist names are noted -- not the songs they are on the top 40 with):

Justin Bieber - white
21 Pilots - white and white
Adele - white
Flo Rida - black
The Chainsmokers with Rozes - white and white
Selena Gomez - hispanic
Drake - black
Alessia Cara - white
Shawn Mendes - white
G-eazy and Bebe Rexha - white and white
The Weeknd - black
Meghan Trainor and John Legend - white and black
Bryson Tiller - black
Post Malone - white
Future - black
Daya - asian

Note: Please forgive if I wrote the wrong ethnicity for a certain band or artist, I only googled it so I'm sure it's not completely correct. Also member of bands were counted as individual artists, for example 21 Pilots is a group but both members are white so I counted both of them as white individually. I do realise that there are one or two English artists in the list but I am using figures on population from a 2010 US census just to keep from complicating things.

So in conclusion:
10 out of 20 white = 50% 8 out of 20 black = 40% 2 out of 20 other = 10%

Bearing in mind that the US is approximately 13% black and 72% white, and therefore 15% other, is it then fair to conclude that black people are over-represented and white people underrepresented in the American music industry?

Sources: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/2010_census/cb11-cn125.html and http://www.vmusic.com.au/charts/billboard-top-40-singles-chart.aspx

What?

If you make good/popular music, you get into the top 40.

I don't get where ethnicity plays a role in this?
Reply 2
You forgot
DNCE
Charlie Puth
Thomas Rett
Ellie Goulding
Elle King
Sam Hunt
Coldplay
Rachel Platten
Luke Bryan & Karen Fairchild.

- White.

Original post by cookiemonster15
What?

If you make good/popular music, you get into the top 40.

I don't get where ethnicity plays a role in this?

Lmao me neither, if you make popular music it's because you make popular music :/

OP where are you going with this lmao?
Only blacks can be underrepresented. Other ethnic groups don't count.
Why do you assume the top 40 singles is representative of the music industry as a whole? Have you done it for the Billboard 200? You'll find one white man massively over represented there: David Bowie.

What about backing musicians? Sound engineers? PR?

Even if black people are over represented,I don't see it as a problem. It just happens that music of black origin is very popular with the majority of music consumers.
Reply 6
Original post by george-90

In your opinion*
Reply 7
Original post by Quantex
Why do you assume the top 40 singles is representative of the music industry as a whole? Have you done it for the Billboard 200? You'll find one white man massively over represented there: David Bowie.

What about backing musicians? Sound engineers? PR?

Even if black people are over represented,I don't see it as a problem. It just happens that music of black origin is very popular with the majority of music consumers.

This is very true. The genres that are popping atm all stem from black culture. And I'm referring to House & Hip Hop. So it would only make sense for blacks to be overrepresented, which they don't seem to be anyway.
Original post by Truths
In your opinion*

In the opinion of race-baiting pseudo-liberals.
Reply 9
I dont get why drake and the weeknd etc... get classed as black when they are litterally half white half black.
Reply 10
In the opinion of race-baiting pseudo-liberals.

But you are the 1st person I've seen make such a statement, and you are the only one in this thread to make that case. If that's how you feel own it, no need to backtrack on your opinion just because it's unpopular:bubbles:
Original post by SYYAAM97
I dont get why drake and the weeknd etc... get classed as black when they are litterally half white half black.

Because it's america, and they think that everything with a shred of melanin is black.

I bet they class indians as black...
hurr
(edited 7 years ago)
yah
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by HepaxLegomenon
I just took the first 20 artists I could find who had their ethnicity advertised on the internet. If I wasn't sure, I skipped them.

Then why would you make this thread. Even went through the trouble of doing math equations when you know it was based on incomplete information.
Reply 15
Original post by Edward_PoshPonce
Because it's america, and they think that everything with a shred of melanin is black.

I bet they class indians as black...

Nah. They are just classed as terrorists there.
Original post by Truths

looooolll :ahee:

sad but true.
Reply 17

hahahaha yoooo the truth in this omg
nah
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Truths

I have literally never heard of Indian people being stereotyped as terrorists.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending