The Student Room Group

A level math OCR MEI HELP!!!

Erm so i saw a thread on which a level math exam board is the easiest and stuff! And i saw a few people commenting on OCR MEI being tough?!
The college I'm planning to go to does this board and I'm wanting to take math too.:frown:
Anyone who does/has done this exam board please tell me how you found it/advise me if i should take or not??!
Any info would be amazing:redface:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it was good but then I find maths easy
@TeeEm I believe this is your speciality.
Reply 3
Original post by zetamcfc
@TeeEm I believe this is your speciality.

Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Erm so i saw a thread on which a level math exam board is the easiest and stuff! And i saw a few people commenting on OCR MEI being tough?!
The college I'm planning to go to does this board and I'm wanting to take math too.:frown:
Anyone who does/has done this exam board please tell me how you found it/advise me if i should take or not??!
Any info would be amazing:redface:

if you are good/enjoy maths you will be ok.
(A lot of private schools do MEI)
I do not particularly like this board but this is only my personal opinion.
Original post by TeeEm
if you are good/enjoy maths you will be ok.
(A lot of private schools do MEI)
I do not particularly like this board but this is only my personal opinion.

Erhg I'm a bit unsure with math. (I want to do medicine..so you get the hoohaa) I'm in for an A/A* at gcse with edexcel but i dunno..
What don't you like about it? If you dont mind me asking:redface: Cause that's really help me get the actual picture of things:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Erhg I'm a bit unsure with math. (I want to do medicine..so you get the hoohaa) I'm in for an A/A* at gcse with edexcel but i dunno..
What don't you like about it? If you dont mind me asking:redface: Cause that's really help me get the actual picture of things:s-smilie:

Medicine does not require maths
Also Biology and chemistry (needed for medicine) can be tough and time consuming at A level
Reply 6
MEI is fine, don't let the exam board influence whether or not you take the subject.
Let's just say with a board such as Edexcel it's as easy as A to B.
With MEI, it's A, C, D ... Z - B
But hey, if you enjoy maths and you have a real passion for it (and not just doing it because you have to), then you should be good to go!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
Medicine does not require maths
Also Biology and chemistry (needed for medicine) can be tough and time consuming at A level

I honestly like math especially algebra. But I'm just unsure of it. I know maths isn't essential but I'd rather not risk it. Many candidates would offer math and I think they'd pick the one with math over the one with geography or something usually. I love sciences bio/chem. Always have. And I'm wanting to go into med for definite. So I won't be swapping them for anything. Furthermore I'm willing to put all the effort in to get a good grade no matter what.
The thing with math is, I don't know if I'm a "natural" at it or not. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
I am in U6 and doing OCR MEI. I can't comment on its difficulty relative to other boards however I can say that it is very enjoyable course in terms of pure and mechanics but i have found statistics very tedious. I would argue that this bit of information is more important than whether it is a hard course or not.
Reply 10
I honestly like math especially algebra. But I'm just unsure of it. I know maths isn't essential but I'd rather not risk it. Many candidates would offer math and I think they'd pick the one with math over the one with geography or something usually. I love sciences bio/chem. Always have. And I'm wanting to go into med for definite. So I won't be swapping them for anything. Furthermore I'm willing to put all the effort in to get a good grade no matter what.
The thing with math is, I don't know if I'm a "natural" at it or not. :s-smilie:

I understand ...
Put it down if unsure ... there is no obligation.

At the start of Y12 go for 2-3 weeks or so to 5/6 subjects to get a taster then decide which ones to keep.
Original post by TeeEm
I understand ...
Put it down if unsure ... there is no obligation.

At the start of Y12 go for 2-3 weeks or so to 5/6 subjects to get a taster then decide which ones to keep.

That seems like a plan. But thank you. May i ask what element you found hard? Like M1/C1 2 3 etc?
Reply 12
That seems like a plan. But thank you. May i ask what element you found hard? Like M1/C1 2 3 etc?

Nothing was hard for me at A level, as far as I remember ...
(but it 33 years ago you see ...)
f9.jpg

Algebra is foundation for A Level maths, regardless of exam board, so your liking for it is a plus point.
Remember, maths is (almost) all about practise. So long as you're willing to put the work in, the grade you want will come your way.
Original post by TeeEm
f9.jpg

Oh damnn :eek: are you serious or are you pulling my leg. Cause that's a pretty long time (no offence if you are serious:colondollar:)
Original post by SchoolAside
Algebra is foundation for A Level maths, regardless of exam board, so your liking for it is a plus point.
Remember, maths is (almost) all about practise. So long as you're willing to put the work in, the grade you want will come your way.

That's relieving to know i guess.:redface: I think I'll give it a go. Better to have no regrets ehh. Thank you tho!!!:h:
Reply 16
Oh damnn :eek: are you serious or are you pulling my leg. Cause that's a pretty long time (no offence if you are serious:colondollar:)

It is true
ask anybody in the maths room ...
Original post by TeeEm
f9.jpg

but thank you again!!:biggrin:
Reply 18
but thank you again!!:biggrin:

all the best !!
Original post by TeeEm
It is true
ask anybody in the maths room ...

Lool yeah i looked at your profile! I believe ya. A real math whizz. I'm not surprised you didn't find it hard:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest