The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

I am seriously so annoyed, the stupid system crashed on me twice now!!! Lost the one good take I had of the first question and it's nearly 11 now, so I don't have the energy to re-record it anymore today. I emailed them twice on the support thing...
I gave up on the laptop which was not recording sound on my webcam for some reason. I am finding it much easier on a tablet which is actually my Mothers. Had she not got it for Xmas I would not be making an application at all I don't think. It is not the most inclusive of application methods. What about people without the fancy gadgets?

I am going away tomorrow - to somewhere without Wifi - so I am going to be up to about 2.00am finishing this....

A few thoughts

a) they say over half didn't make it to this stage so that is promising
b) the fact that you can record and rerecord answers does make it all slightly farcical. It is hard not to sound like you are doing take 15 when you are in fact doing take 15
c) the questions are quite difficult and specific to councils particularly the last one on how to show leadership while continually being moved about in different departments. The honest answer is there are limits to the level of leadership you can show while continually being moved from post to post but you can't put that can you....
d) I hope I get through the sift and through to a person given how much I've invested in this process now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 122
Hey guys

I was told to do the video interview by 15th February Monday. Does this mean i have to record it before the beginning of Monday or before the end of Monday ?. Is the deadline inclusive of Monday 15 of February ?

I know this may seem like a daft question but just want to be sure.

Thanks
I belive it is by the end of the day but I would email them if u are not shour. also the system is a little temprmetal so if u can if try and do it today.

Good luck

Original post by N.Alem
Hey guys

I was told to do the video interview by 15th February Monday. Does this mean i have to record it before the beginning of Monday or before the end of Monday ?. Is the deadline inclusive of Monday 15 of February ?

Thanks
Just did mine. Not too bad. 3 questions and infinite attempts. Thanks for the tips guys!
Finally did it. Wasn't too bad, just no real way of knowing the types of answer they're looking for. Now another long wait begins.....
Original post by N.Alem
Hey guys

Thanks

Deadline is 5pm Monday
I didn't like it. I think when you're in a real interview situation you don't have too long to think and just get the answers out. I think when you can repeat the recording and overanalyse everything you say, the way you say it, how much you're smiling, what your bloody fringe looks like, how annoying your voice is, it's kind of soul destroying!! I did think it was useful doing a couple of recordings, but don't think I managed more than 2 for any of them, plus the last thing I wanted was to come across as rehearsed. Either way we'll see now. I wonder if it's true that less than half made it this far guess that cheers me up a bit :smile:

Good luck to anyone still to do it!
Reply 128
Just a quick question, can we submit an answer for one question then come back to it later/tomorrow?
Original post by NJ92
Just a quick question, can we submit an answer for one question then come back to it later/tomorrow?

I think it might be possible, I'm sure at one point it said if you logged out you could come back to where you left off, but that might have only been on the set up. To be honest I don't think I would recommend it.
Reply 130
Original post by notsogeekygeek
I belive it is by the end of the day but I would email them if u are not shour. also the system is a little temprmetal so if u can if try and do it today.

Good luck

Thanks, i thought so to, I guess i will email them to. I may not be able to do it today as i am very busy.Good luck to you to
Original post by Nightwing_
I didn't like it. I think when you're in a real interview situation you don't have too long to think and just get the answers out. I think when you can repeat the recording and overanalyse everything you say, the way you say it, how much you're smiling, what your bloody fringe looks like, how annoying your voice is, it's kind of soul destroying!! I did think it was useful doing a couple of recordings, but don't think I managed more than 2 for any of them, plus the last thing I wanted was to come across as rehearsed. Either way we'll see now. I wonder if it's true that less than half made it this far guess that cheers me up a bit :smile:

I agree with these sentiments. I think I'd have been much better if they gave me 20 seconds to think and I had to talk for 90 like most video interviews I've heard about. This was the first one I've done and I can't say I'm particularly optimistic about my prospects
Reply 132
Original post by Greens24
Deadline is 5pm Monday

Thanks. How did you know this?
The questions were so different from what I expected. Pretty unhappy with it to be honest.
Original post by N.Alem
Thanks. How did you know this?

Its on the NGDP official twitter page
Original post by Nightwing_

Yeah I completely agree. the first question I did a number of takes for, but then thought I was over analysing everything and was at risk of sounding rehearsed, so for the next two I did them both in one take. That may be to my detriment though, (It may of been better if i'd re-done them and made them more slick) who knows...
Got an email from them that question 2 failed to upload so I have to do that again tomorrow morning. I am so done with this :l Every single question will now have been recorded with different light, on a different day, I am sure that will look very professional :l
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Marwin123
Got an email from them that question 2 failed to upload so I have to do that again tomorrow morning. I am so done with this :l Every single question will now have been recorded with different light, on a different day, I am sure that will look very professional :l

Oh man WTF?!!!!! That's ridiculous!!
Original post by Marwin123

Many reply but cc the NGDP team in it. That's what I did as I wanted them to know what was going on with my aplocation and also about the problems with the out sourcing of this stage.

Good luck with whatever u chose to do
Reply 139
Original post by PoliticsGrad4044
I gave up on the laptop which was not recording sound on my webcam for some reason. I am finding it much easier on a tablet which is actually my Mothers. Had she not got it for Xmas I would not be making an application at all I don't think. It is not the most inclusive of application methods. What about people without the fancy gadgets?

I am going away tomorrow - to somewhere without Wifi - so I am going to be up to about 2.00am finishing this....

A few thoughts

a) they say over half didn't make it to this stage so that is promising
b) the fact that you can record and rerecord answers does make it all slightly farcical. It is hard not to sound like you are doing take 15 when you are in fact doing take 15
c) the questions are quite difficult and specific to councils particularly the last one on how to show leadership while continually being moved about in different departments. The honest answer is there are limits to the level of leadership you can show while continually being moved from post to post but you can't put that can you....
d) I hope I get through the sift and through to a person given how much I've invested in this process now.

I was quite pleased to find out I was at least in the top 50% of applicants too! So well done to everyone who did the video interviews we're obviously not that bad haha.

I totally agree with the re-recording thing. It is hard not to seem too rehearsed. By the time I did questions 2 and 3 it was dark and I had a light on so it's really noticeable that I took my time. On the flip side though it really gives you time to think about what you actually want to say. I did a similar one where you can't re-record and it was horrendous.

In response to C though I have to disagree - I think it's good that they test your knowledge of what councils do and so on, as that will be pretty useful info when you start the placement. In terms of showing leadership I think it's fine to acknowledge that there are limits to this and what they are looking for is ideas of how to overcome the obvious barriers in these scenarios. I said something along the lines of not being intimidated by people with more experience who you don't know very well and being able to assert yourself when you need to. (I realise some people are yet to do it so there's some free help for you!) - saying all of that, we haven't heard back yet so maybe I was way off and that's not what they want to hear.

Anyway at least it's done now so good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending