The Student Room Group

hard gcse question

Amy is one third the age of her mother. in 12yrs time amy will be half the age of her mother. how old is amy and her mother? @Zacken
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

12 and 36
24 and 48

This wasn't very hard at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by manuel132
Amy is one third the age of her mother. in 12yrs time amy will be half the age of her mother. how old is amy and her mother? @Zacken

What have you tried? Let's call the age of her mother m (current age) and Amy's age a (current age) Then you know that (now) a=m3a = \frac{m}{3}

And you also know that (in twelve years time) a+12=m+122a + 12 = \frac{m+12}{2}, can you solve this simultaneous equation?

Moving this to maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
What have you tried? Let's call the age of her mother m (current age) and Amy's age a (current age) Then you know that (now) a=m3a = \frac{m}{3}

And you also know that (in twelve years time) a+12=m+122a + 12 = \frac{m+12}{2}, can you solve this simultaneous equation?

Moving this to maths.

i don't get it.. can you explain it in detail
Reply 4
i don't get it.. can you explain it in detail

So if Amy's age is a and her mothers age is m, then we know that a is m divided by 3 because Amy's age (a) is a third of her moths age. So a=m3a = \frac{m}{3}, do you understand this?

Original post by Mayhem™

Full solutions are against forum guidelines.
Reply 5
and two positive numbers x and y, where x is the larger of the two numbers, have a difference of one and a product of 72. using algebra and showing your working find the values of x and y @Zacken
Here is a lovely gcse question my friend sent me a few years ago, and i've never forgot it (and always kept it saved)

gcse_question.jpg

Edit: for you to try after of course :wink:, so off topic but its too good not to share
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
So if Amy's age is a and her mothers age is m, then we know that a is m divided by 3 because Amy's age (a) is a third of her moths age. So a=m3a = \frac{m}{3}, do you understand this?

well that sucks
Reply 8
and two positive numbers x and y, where x is the larger of the two numbers, have a difference of one and a product of 72. using algebra and showing your working find the values of x and y @Zacken

Well, if their difference is 11 then we know that xy=1x-y=1. If their product is 72, then we can write: xy=72xy =72.

Now, remember that xy=1x-y=1, which is the same thing as x=y+1x = y+1, so: xy=72xy = 72 can be written as y(y+1)=72y(y+1)=72, now can you solve this?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Well, if their difference is 11 then we know that xy=1x-y=1. If their product is 72, then we can write: xy=72xy =72.

Now, remember that xy=1x-y=1, which is the same thing as x=y+1x = y+1, so: xy=72xy = 72 can be written as y(y+1)=72y(y+1)=72, now can you solve this?

you are genius
Reply 10
Original post by DylanJ42
Here is a lovely gcse question my friend sent me a few years ago, and i've never forgot it (and always kept it saved)

gcse_question.jpg

Edit: for you to try after of course :wink:, so off topic but its too good not to share

Solution

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
Solution

Spoiler

ahaha, of course you reply with the solution to a gcse question :laugh:

Spoiler

Reply 12
Original post by Zacken

can you post the full solution in my inbox then cuz i don't get it still?
Reply 13
ahaha, of course you reply with the solution to a gcse question :laugh:

Spoiler

why have you guys 'hijacked' my thread? do unto others as you want others to do unto you! i saw something like this yesterday and zacken didn't like it. don't be a hypocrite
(edited 8 years ago)
why have you guys 'hijacked' my thread? do unto others as you want others to do unto you!

no we havent, its 3 posts... plus youre getting help from others, plus that question i posted is for you to try, plus if i posted an alevel question and someone posted me another one to try afterwards id be pretty pleased tbh...

can you post the full solution in my inbox then cuz i don't get it still?

...plus this the worst thing you could request
Reply 15
no we havent, its 3 posts... plus youre getting help from others, plus that question i posted is for you to try, plus if i posted an alevel question and someone posted me another one to try afterwards id be pretty pleased tbh...

...plus this the worst thing you could request

yes you have. it is 'irrelevant trash' to my question.. remember this yesterday? and this is not a ****ing homework.. i am just solving questions so what do you mean it is the worst thing i could request?

and getting help someone doesn't mean you should post 'irrelevant trash' to my question..

you guys are hypocrites.. you said the same to someone yesterday. just because i am looking for help doesn't mean i should keep quite. telling you the truth. idc if i am being helped
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
you are genius

so long as you do not call him
awesome genius ....
yes you have. it is 'irrelevant trash' to my question.. remember this yesterday? and this is not a ****ing homework.. i am just solving questions so what do you mean it is the worst thing i could request?

"irrelevant trash"... i do not remember as it was probably zacken who said that yesterday

I am 90% sure you wont learn from the full solution just from your previous posts, thats all

also dont get angry please, if you think i have "hijacked" your thread by giving you another question to solve then I wont do it again :biggrin:
Reply 18
"irrelevant trash"... i do not remember as it was probably zacken who said that yesterday

I am 90% sure you wont learn from the full solution just from your previous posts, thats all

also dont get angry please, if you think i have "hijacked" your thread by giving you another question to solve then I wont do it again :biggrin:

well why did he solve the question then if it was my question..

the guy said nothing wrong yesterday so why were you being *******s to him? he wasn't even hijacking' but you accused him of
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken

Moving this to maths.

i still don't get this one.. sorry but the truth had to be told. that's how i roll and i know the truth hurts but you gotta deal with it

Quick Reply

Latest