The Student Room Group

Does anyone actually like chavs?

Whilst most people can unanimously agree that chavs are to some degree the bane of our existence; I'm wondering if there's actually anyone out there who likes one or has got a crush on one?

Scroll to see replies

define chav
Original post by Ishea16
define chav

A young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of (real or imitation) designer clothes. < UK dictionary definition.

Picture this a young lad about 12 years of age and 4 ½ feet high baseball cap at ninety degrees in a imitation addidas tracksuit, with trouser legs tucked into his socks (of course, is definitely the height of fashion). This lad is strutting around, fag in one hand jewellery al over the over, outside McDonalds acting as if he is 8 foot tall and built like a rugby player, when some poor unsuspecting adult (about 17/18) walks round the corner wanting to go to mcdonalds for his dinner glances at the young lad, the young lad jumps up in complete disgust and says “Whats your problem? Wanna make sommin of it? Bling Bling” when the adult starts to walk towards the young lad, the young lad pisses himself and runs off to either his pregnant 14-year-old girlfriend or his brother in the army crying his eyes out. <Urban dictionary definition.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why not.

I like different people :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ishea16
define chav

A person, irrespective of financial status that has bad manners and treats everyone including friends, family and authority figures with disrespect. Typically wears scruffy sportswear outside of contexts where it would be considered normal (e.g: gym/ martial arts) Usually has a poor grasp of spelling and grammar and a bad grasp of the English language in general and does not have any interest in education or bettering themselves. Usually takes on aspects of 'gang culture' yet harbours racist and possibly sexist thought patterns.
I am chav. Solidarnosc.
Reply 6
Original post by AthiaKarim
Why not.

I like different people :smile:

Would you date one?
Reply 7
Original post by uberteknik
I am chav. Solidarnosc.

In what way are you a chav? Calling yourself that is not a good thing :s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous
Would you date one?

Sure why not. If I liked him. I don't oppose.

Would you?
Would you date one?

Not addressed to me but no.
Reply 10
Quite a lot of people I've met that were deemed to be 'chavs' ended up actually being nice people, although their appearance wasn't the best.
In what way are you a chav? Calling yourself that is not a good thing :s-smilie:
Is arbitrarily elevating oneself above and judging another for the clothes they wear, the food they eat, the way they speak, where they live, their standard of education or the families they are born into a good thing? Sounds a bit bigoted to me.
(edited 8 years ago)

Would you?

I mean, the word 'chav' is used-typically- when something is bad, so I can't see how you would have the means to like someone who is 'labelled' as an inherently negative thing therefore putting yourself under that label. Would you want the word 'chav' to be associated with you simply because you dated someone that is one? But then again is deeming yourself better or of higher importance worse than dating a 'looked down upon' person simply because of where they came from, where they went to school or how they dressed?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Is arbitrarily elevating oneself above and judging another for the clothes they wear, where they live, their standard of education or the families they are born into a good thing?

No but then again most chavs (at least the definition I subscribe to) don't help themselves by being lazy at school, bullying, messing around in class or terrorising innocent random people. If they really wanted to make something of their lives they could, instead they choose wilfully to be horrid and a blight on society and make irresponsible choices
Original post by Ishea16
define chav

Generally, the type of person that appears on the Jeremy Kyle show.
Original post by kkboyk
Quite a lot of people I've met that were deemed to be 'chavs' ended up actually being nice people, although their appearance wasn't the best.

Then they probably weren't real chavs; they just dressed like one

Would you?

I have a crush on one at my workplace but his lack of educational, or indeed, any ambition is a big turn off not to mention the fact that he has 0% respect for anyone besides himself and is generally not a very nice person at all
Original post by Meridian-S
I mean, the word 'chav' is used-typically- when something is bad, so I can't see how you would have the means to like someone who is 'labelled' as an inherently negative thing therefore putting yourself under that label. Would you want the word 'chav' to be associated with you simply because you dated someone that is one?

If I fell in love with them, then I guess I would be with them regardless of what label society fixes them up with. I guess I'm drawn to the individual and not what society tells me what this persons is ought to be.
And also, I'm not that bothered with how I am perceived by others.

Also, I do feel like there is a difference between a label and the individual. I think most of us view people with predisposed ideas, which distracts us from seeing who they really are. I really do believe that a "chav" is a fixed term that society has created to put down people. And I do believe that some "chavs" can distance themselves from this label.

So really, all isn't too bad.
That is a derogatory term. And why should one have reasons not to like them?
I have a crush on one at my workplace but his lack of educational, or indeed, any ambition is a big turn off not to mention the fact that he has 0% respect for anyone besides himself and is generally not a very nice person at all

All these things can be rectified, it's a matter of where they choose to go from there, and who appears in there life to either try to help them or drag them further from a happy life. Disrespect, education, manners etc can all be changed with enough work, the same goes for lazy ethics and sloppy morals.

Quick Reply

Latest