The Student Room Group

Government will prosecute students who don't repay student loans

Scroll to see replies

I thought about it once.

I thought about a second time.

Thrice.

And I always seem to come to the same conclusion.

Tory scum you see.
This is nothing new. It has always been illegal to breach the terms of repayment for student loans which is what is being re-emphasised here.

What WOULD be concerning and in fact a breach of contract on the governments behalf is if they decided to restructure the terms of repayment for loans e.g. saying that if you don't pay back everything in 30 years then you owe them the remainder etc.
Original post by Little Popcorns
I thought about it once.

I thought about a second time.

Thrice.

And I always seem to come to the same conclusion.

Tory scum you see.

Why do people constantly just cry, tory this tory that. No shut the **** up and understand a loan is a loan i dont give a **** if you only earn £15,000 you chose to invest in going to university no one forced you, you chose to take out a loan and now you have to pay it back. You go take out a loan from a normal company and not pay it back and then see what happens.
Original post by TSRFT8
Why do people constantly just cry, tory this tory that. No shut the **** up and understand a loan is a loan i dont give a **** if you only earn £15,000 you chose to invest in going to university no one forced you, you chose to take out a loan and now you have to pay it back. You go take out a loan from a normal company and not pay it back and then see what happens.

You're one of those 'no shut the **** up and understand that life is hard' and you'll make no excuse for anyone no matter how poor, strapped for cash, underprivileged or even those who find that their circumstances have changed. You will make no excuses for any of them.

Except if it was you.

Except if it is was you that found yourself unable to make repayments for whatever reason. Except if it was you that had your mind broadened by a little more life experience.

You can make as many hard and fast rules as you like but those are the kind of rules that can be skirted round if your mum and dad can just wipe the slate clean and pay it all off for you. But if they can't? Someone could have the best intentions they could want to get a job as a result of their degree and yet still find themselves in financial hardship and you're a fool if you think that sitting on a pedestal and telling them with a snot nose that "well you shouldn't have taken that loan out then should you"... What so that they'd have even worse job prospects. Genius.
You're one of those 'no shut the **** up and understand that life is hard' and you'll make no excuse for anyone no matter how poor, strapped for cash, underprivileged or even those who find that their circumstances have changed. You will make no excuses for any of them.

Except if it was you.

Except if it is was you that found yourself unable to make repayments for whatever reason. Except if it was you that had your mind broadened by a little more life experience.

You can make as many hard and fast rules as you like but those are the kind of rules that can be skirted round if your mum and dad can just wipe the slate clean and pay it all off for you. But if they can't? Someone could have the best intentions they could want to get a job as a result of their degree and yet still find themselves in financial hardship and you're a fool if you think that sitting on a pedestal and telling them with a snot nose that "well you shouldn't have taken that loan out then should you"... What so that they'd have even worse job prospects. Genius.

And you've made some really bad life choices if you can be over the repayment threshold and have the repayments lead to destitution
Original post by Jammy Duel
And you've made some really bad life choices if you can be over the repayment threshold and have the repayments lead to destitution
I dunno what the exact repayments are like but he was making a general statement about a 'loans a loan' and hard and fast rules about these kinds of things. So I made a general response. I accept that the threshold does a job there hopefully we won't see any skirting around it so that those at the bottom suffer.
U wot m8?

You think its wrong for people who who dont pay their loans to be punished?

Are you sure you support UKIP m8? Because you're sounding an awful lot like a soviet communist right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
I disagree about furthering career prospects. But mainly Because I think that education is about bettering ones self and not preparing for work because life isn't about what your salary is and we shouldn't be living to work..

So do it but don't expect tax-payers to pay the bill for you.
Errrm...okayyy:colonhash:
Original post by CCC75
I am intrigued to know how you evade repayment of a loan which the government automatically deduct from your wages once your earnings reach a minimum threshold. How big a problem is this really?

I have a friend whose sibling - following graduation - left the country and has never had to pay anything back. If he came back and started earning, he'd have to, but for as long as he has remained in his new country, they've never chased him up on it.
Original post by Jammy Duel
And then people cry about an attack on the poor because the thicker who go to university are more likely to be poor. Then you get your cries of elitism and being against social mobility and people cry even more because they always need something to cry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you done in depth research on this? A lot of poor students work incredibly hard because they know what it's like to struggle if you don't get an education. In my experience, it's students who don't value their education who take the loans from the government and use them to have a 3 or 4 year piss up.

I had to sit and listen to people in my economics classes always going on about scum on benefits just because they were privileged enough to have grown up with two parents in good careers. I ended up getting better results than all of them in my final exams and I was born technically homeless (living in a bed and breakfast) and raised by a single mum who claimed benefits (she not only had to look after me but my sister who had a lot of time off school because of chronic health issues). I know a lot of poor students who followed a similar path to the one I did, so try not to make unsubstantiated claims.

Except if it was you.

Youre talking about the minority who fall into hardship, the majority just get **** jobs? Going to London Met too do Economics expecting to be an Investment Banker earning 100k + is not falling into hardship it is a ridiculous decision, and dont give me the "everyone has the right to study what they want and when they want" well go ahead but know you have to pay the loan back, not leave it too the tax payer. **** off with your communism.

Except if it was you.

ignorance of some people never cease to surprise me
Studying at University isn't, by any means, mandatory. you took the loan, now you expect everybody else to pay for it. And yeah- having to pay the loans means that people will at least chose the important studies, not some BS.
Education is free.
only because someone chose to "study" some BS topic it doesn't mean everybody should pay for them.
Original post by Rock Fan
What you all make of this with the government punishing any student who fails to repay their student loan on time?
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/government-will-prosecute-those-who-fail-to-repay-their-student-loans-on-time-warns-jo-johnson-a6869221.html

They can't alter the terms of loans already taken out simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lacesso
A loan is a loan. Doesn't matter if it's from your neighbour, Wonga or for university; you should expect to have to pay it back eventually.

Well a loan from a neighbour (assuming a contract isn't drawn up) is not the same as one from Wonga. Since you actually have to pay Wonga back, you don't have to pay back your neighbour.
Original post by TSRFT8
Who asked you too go to university to then only get employment worth £21,000? You could have saved the tax payer their money by not going at all and going to work in retail (about the same wage). Its ridiculous how many people get bad A-levels but want too go into subjects such as economics, law and go too "crap" universities, graduate and realise no firm wants them and are stuck back in square one but only with a bank balance of -£60,000.

People are told, over and over throughout school and college

"Go to university and get a good job"
"You need to go to university to get a good job"
"You'll only get a good job if you go to university"

etc etc etc

They are told over and over again at every step at college by teachers, because it makes their ranking stats look better and encouraged by the previous government to go to University and get a degree. They then form this oppinion that they'll be nobody and their life ruined unless they go to uni.

They then get out of uni with whatever less useful degree they have, lots of debt only to find that they've basically been lied to.

So you can't really blame them for going.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by acupofgreentea
I have a friend whose sibling - following graduation - left the country and has never had to pay anything back. If he came back and started earning, he'd have to, but for as long as he has remained in his new country, they've never chased him up on it.

I was outside the country working for 2 years and they sent me 4 letters in the first 3 months, asking me to update my status and why I wasn't paying my student loan contributions. They will definitely chase you up, the ironic thing was I had £500 left on my loan, that's all. My original loan was tiny in the first place (barely 4 figures). So I just paid it off there and then.

There is nothing they could have done to me outside the country but as soon as I hit borders if they had known I'd been earning outside the country they could have easily had a case against me and I imagine for people owing lots of money they'd pursue court action. I'm not surprised they are toughening up on it at all and quite rightly so. The real problem is that current tuition fees are just too extortionate.

If you take out a loan, you should realistically be expected to pay it back and the current thresholds are pretty generous as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 38
Original post by paul514
They can't alter the terms of loans already taken out simple.

I'm afraid they just did. The T&Cs of current students stated that the repayment threshold would increase in line with inflation, meaning that repayment amounts would remain relatively static. Last year, the government announced that the £21,000 threshold would be fixed for five years, This means that as wages begin to rise in line with the economic recovery, a larger proportion of students will find themselves over the threshold, and more students will make larger repayments.

Whilst this might seem trivial, as you say, it's effectively a breach of contract. I think it's the government dipping their toe in the water to see how people react. If it doesn't look like they'll lose votes, my guess is that they'll start making more significant changes. Watch out for them starting to demonise students in the near future - if they can persuade the voting public that students are a bunch of layabout scroungers, there may even be votes to be won by making even harsher changes.

Martin Lewis is seeking a judicial review of the change, to determine whether it is actually even legal to impose it in retrospect:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/loans/12049856/Martin-Lewis-tackles-Government-over-student-loans.html
Original post by ron_trns
I was outside the country working for 2 years and they sent me 4 letters in the first 3 months, asking me to update my status and why I wasn't paying my student loan contributions. They will definitely chase you up, the ironic thing was I had £500 left on my loan, that's all. My original loan was tiny in the first place (barely 4 figures). So I just paid it off there and then.

There is nothing they could have done to me outside the country but as soon as I hit borders if they had known I'd been earning outside the country they could have easily had a case against me and I imagine for people owing lots of money they'd pursue court action. I'm not surprised they are toughening up on it at all and quite rightly so. The real problem is that current tuition fees are just too extortionate.

If you take out a loan, you should realistically be expected to pay it back and the current thresholds are pretty generous as far as I'm concerned.

It's not something I ever plan on doing myself, I was merely sharing an experience I'd heard from someone else.

While I don't agree with having to leave with so much debt, I do agree that, as I've taken out a loan, I should pay it back. However - as you've stated, your debt barely made four figures whereas now, the average student will leave with £50k+ worth of debt, so I don't think you have the right to judge on someone who chooses to.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending