The Student Room Group

Social justice warriors turn on other social justice warriors

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/13/peter-tatchell-snubbed-students-free-speech-veteran-gay-rights-activist

In the emails, sent to the organisers of a talk at Canterbury Christ Church University on Monday on the topic of “re-radicalising queers”, Cowling refuses an invitation to speak unless Tatchell, who has also been invited, does not attend. In the emails she cites Tatchell’s signing of an open letter in the Observer last year in support of free speech and against the growing trend of universities to “no-platform” people, such as Germaine Greer, for holding views with which they disagree.

Cowling claims the letter supports the incitement of violence against transgender people. She also made an allegation against him of racism or of using racist language. Tatchell told the Observer that the incident was yet another example of “a witch-hunting, accusatory atmosphere” symptomatic of a decline in “open debate on some university campuses”.

Crazy.

Views?
Reply 1
lmao
Reply 2
Useless idiots
Reply 3
What is a Social Justice Warrior anymore? Sometimes I see it used in a derogatory fashion but I just googled him and

Peter Gary Tatchell (born 25 January 1952) is an Australian-born British human rights campaigner best known for his work with LGBT social movements.Tatchell was selected as Labour Party Parliamentary candidate for Bermondsey in 1981. He was then denounced by party leader Michael Foot for supporting extra-parliamentary action against the Thatcher government.

So it's a cool thing now or? I can't keep up with you kids. Choice a definition and stick to it!
The NUS are a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHgYPDvQFU8&list=WL&index=1

Its not crazy, it's been planned years in advance. Watch this. Can confirm that we are now in phase 3.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by G8D
This is like "BEM" feminists turning on white feminists.

Essentially just ****ing hilarious.

Wait.....there are BEM feminists?
Good result all round in that the outcome is she managed to no platform herself.
So lets see Fran Cowling possesses the following cards: vagina card, LGBTWQ card. Peter Thatchell might only possess the later. Unless he has a holocoast survivor card (a super powerful race card), he is going to lose badly. But looking at pics of the two, I think it's more likely that Fran Cowling possesses the holocoast survivor card.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
Wait.....there are BEM feminists?

Also transfeminism, ecofeminism, Islamic feminism
Reply 10
Day of the rope, anyone?
:facepalm:
Stop generalising me!!!!!
I don't know who any of these people are but it sounds dramatic.
Similar to this:

Black lives matter campaigners disrupt Bernie Sanders campaign (Sanders is very left wing, at least for an American, and very anti-racist)

[video="youtube;_4dN-kS55CU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4dN-kS55CU[/video]
Original post by Mathemagicien
Similar to this:

Black lives matter campaigners disrupt Bernie Sanders campaign (Sanders is very left wing, at least for an American, and very anti-racist)

Missed the bit where they throw a massive temper tantrum beforehand.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
I never likes Tatchell much but I can't fault the man for his steadfast commitment. He was fighting for social justice issues before Cowling was a twinkle in her dad's eye. The man's an absolute veteran who probably does more for social justice before breakfast than the combined NUS leadership will do in their lifetimes.

The NUS has always been ran by useless people but today it's worse than ever. They are not just useless. They are ideologues who would rather shut down debate and attack people from their safe zones on the laptops than engage in any remotely challenging or rigorous dialogue. Cowling knows that she doesn't have the mental horsepower to share a platform with Tatchell.
(edited 8 years ago)
Simple solution: Tatchell talks, Cowling doesn't. She can censor herself all she likes!

I hope that's what the organisers go for.
Original post by Truths
What is a Social Justice Warrior anymore? Sometimes I see it used in a derogatory fashion but I just googled him and

So it's a cool thing now or? I can't keep up with you kids. Choice a definition and stick to it!

SJW has pejorative connotations I would say. Tatchell certainly campaigns for social justice, but he's not usually an idiot as far as I can tell, so Cowling is the SJW in this case!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending