The Student Room Group

Help me to choose please! Royal Holloway or Kent or Exeter?(Business and Management)

Hi . I have got offers from Royal Holloway, Kent and Exeter universities for Business and Management, and I am really confused which would be the best option for me. Can someone please help me with some facts what may convince me to choose one from this three? :smile:
I would put aside Kent, because I think it is below the two other options.
Exeter has overall a good business school and recruits excellent students. Royal Holloway, however has the London advantage (or at least the proximity with London).
Thanks for the reply :smile: Why do you think Kent is below the other two? I heared that Medway isnt that good place, but in Canterbury campus I heared that they teach some business related subjects as well. And is RH far below Exeter in business? I mean, would it be a drawback for me, for example in finding job later, if I chose RH over Exeter?
Reply 3
Kent is better than RH..
Original post by Pato1
Kent is better than RH..

Why do you say this? I mean, in which aspects you say Kent above RH? And actually, I would do Economics with a foreign language in Kent, and B&M in RH. Still you would advise me Kent? Which final degree worth more ? And what about Exeter?

aaa too much questions haha :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by kingdidier11
Why do you say this? I mean, in which aspects you say Kent above RH? And actually, I would do Economics with a foreign language in Kent, and B&M in RH. Still you would advise me Kent? Which final degree worth more ? And what about Exeter?

aaa too much questions haha :frown:

Exeter is a whole level above the other two.
Original post by Film
Exeter is a whole level above the other two.

So you are telling, that my Exeter final degree would make me a lot easier to find jobs and I could earn also more with that? And what about the other two then? What are the major differences , which can make one better than the other here?
Reply 7
So you are telling, that my Exeter final degree would make me a lot easier to find jobs and I could earn also more with that? And what about the other two then? What are the major differences , which can make one better than the other here?

Absolutely
-Exeter is the only one which is Russel Group, the only one ranked in the top 10,and has a much higher level of students. The campus and facilities are much better at Exeter as well.
Original post by Film
Absolutely
-Exeter is the only one which is Russel Group, the only one ranked in the top 10,and has a much higher level of students. The campus and facilities are much better at Exeter as well.

I see. And then comparing RH and Kent, which would you choose in par with Exeter to my final two? and why?
Reply 9
I see. And then comparing RH and Kent, which would you choose in par with Exeter to my final two? and why?

RH and Kent are similar, though if I had to choose one over the other, I would choose RH, as it is a better location, slightly better reputation and higher level of students(RH has 32% of students with AAB+ versus 10% at Kent)
Hi . I have got offers from Royal Holloway, Kent and Exeter universities for Business and Management, and I am really confused which would be the best option for me. Can someone please help me with some facts what may convince me to choose one from this three? :smile:

I would say for Business and Management the best university from those three is Exeter followed by Royal Holloway, followed by Kent.

Exeter is usually ranked in the top 10 unis in the UK, Royal Holloway in the top 20-30 unis and Kent in the top 30-40 unis in the UK.

Exeter is member or the Russell Group. The Russell Group is a self-selected association of 24 public research universities, with a shared reputation for academic prestige, situated in the United Kingdom.

And here a bit of history: Exeter belongs to the second wave of civic universities receiving its royal charter in 1955. Royal Holloway became a constituent school of the University of London in 1900 and Kent is a plate glass university established in 1965.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ppapanastasiou
I would say for Business and Management the best university from those three is Exeter followed by Royal Holloway, followed by Kent.

Exeter is usually ranked in the top 10 unis in the UK, Royal Holloway in the top 20-30 unis and Kent in the top 30-40 unis in the UK.

Exeter is member or the Russell Group. The Russell Group is a self-selected association of 24 public research universities, with a shared reputation for academic prestige, situated in the United Kingdom.And here a bit of history:colone:xeter belongs to the second wave of civic universities receiving its royal charter in 1955. Royal Holloway became a constituent school of the University of London in 1900 and Kent is a plate glass university established in 1965.

Thank you for this detailed answer ! :smile: It helped me a lot. Now Im very sure, that I gonna make Exeter my first choice, but I forgot to edit, in Kent, I changed the Business Management to Economics with Spanish language. So if you have to compare Kent Economics and RH Business and Management, which comes out as the better one?
Original post by Film
RH and Kent are similar, though if I had to choose one over the other, I would choose RH, as it is a better location, slightly better reputation and higher level of students(RH has 32% of students with AAB+ versus 10% at Kent)

Thank you for your help! :smile: I read something similar about the two, just I really like the spanish language, which makes it harder to choose, because in Kent, I would study Economics with Spanish, in RH I would study Business and Management, and I heared that Economics is better in Kent, but comparing RH Business and Kent Economics, which is the more "valuable" course?
Thank you for your help! :smile: I read something similar about the two, just I really like the spanish language, which makes it harder to choose, because in Kent, I would study Economics with Spanish, in RH I would study Business and Management, and I heared that Economics is better in Kent, but comparing RH Business and Kent Economics, which is the more "valuable" course?

I would say that for Economics in particular Kent has better research and reputation then Royal Holloway (RH). But this is for people who know these subtle differences. For example Kent offers a BSc and a MSc in Economics and Econometrics where as RH does not. This shows that Kent is more specialized in Economics and Econometrics then RH. But again, most people and employers will not know these subtle differences and will look at the overall reputation of the university, in which case RH will be rated higher than Kent.

The more valuable course depends on what you want to do and how you define valuable. Business and Management courses are very generic and broad, you learn things such as International Business, Markets & Consumption, Accounting, Strategic Management, Human Resource Management etc.

Economics courses are more specialized and require much more mathematics (especially serious economic degrees in top universities). You will learn things such as Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Mathematics, Statistics and Econometrics.I prefer economic courses, because I believe you do actually learn something useful which could be classified as science, since it has quite a lot of maths (especially serious economic modules).

For me Business and Management courses are "wishy washy" courses which teach you common sense stuff with low mathematical content, which can not be really classified as science. But this is my own personal biased opinion.

That is why business courses were taught at ex-polys whereas pure economic courses were not really taught but ex-polys. Most of the ex-polys that offer now economic degrees transformed their old social science degrees to BA in economic degrees. If you look however at their curriculum and compare it with the bachelor of economics at LSE you can see that they have kept many soft social science courses.

Pure economic degrees were provided almost exlusively by universities. Even now 24 years after ex-polys became universities very few offer pure Bachelors in economics courses and even if they do, they usually offer just the BA and not the BSc variant which has a higher mathematical content. This shows that Business courses are considered to be very applied and not really very academic as opposed to pure economic courses.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would say that for Economics in particular Kent has better research and reputation then Royal Holloway (RH). But this is for people who know these subtle differences. For example Kent offers a BSc and a MSc in Economics and Econometrics where as RH does not. This shows that Kent is more specialized in Economics and Econometrics then RH. But again, most people and employers will not know these subtle differences and will look at the overall reputation of the university, in which case RH will be rated higher than Kent.

The more valuable course depends on what you want to do and how you define valuable. Business and Management courses are very generic and broad, you learn things such as International Business, Markets & Consumption, Accounting, Strategic Management, Human Resource Management etc.

Economics courses are more specialized and require much more mathematics (especially serious economic degrees in top universities). You will learn things such as Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Mathematics, Statistics and Econometrics.I prefer economic courses, because I believe you do actually learn something useful which could be classified as science, since it has quite a lot of maths (especially serious economic modules).

For me Business and Management courses are "wishy washy" courses which teach you common sense stuff with low mathematical content, which can not be really classified as science. But this is my own personal biased opinion.

That is why business courses were taught at ex-polys whereas pure economic courses were not really taught but ex-polys. Most of the ex-polys that offer now economic degrees transformed their old social science degrees to BA in economic degrees. If you look however at their curriculum and compare it with the bachelor of economics at LSE you can see that they have kept many soft social science courses.

Pure economic degrees were provided almost exlusively by universities. Even now 24 years after ex-polys became universities very few offer pure Bachelors in economics courses and even if they do, they usually offer just the BA and not the BSc variant which has a higher mathematical content. This shows that Business courses are considered to be very applied and not really very academic as opposed to pure economic courses.

I understand. So this means basically, that economic degree>business degree. And for example, if I wanna continue my studies for the Master degree in a better university, like LSE for example, or UCL, then I should choose according to the general reputation, or the reputation by subject? I guess then for getting to a better course for the masters, I should look for the better subject reputation, and in the masters, I should look for the better general reputation, right?
I understand. So this means basically, that economic degree>business degree. And for example, if I wanna continue my studies for the Master degree in a better university, like LSE for example, or UCL, then I should choose according to the general reputation, or the reputation by subject? I guess then for getting to a better course for the masters, I should look for the better subject reputation, and in the masters, I should look for the better general reputation, right?

I would tend to agree with what you are saying " for getting to a better course for the masters, I should look for the better subject reputation, and in the masters, I should look for the better general reputation".Generally speaking if you want to do a "soft" MSc course at UCL or LSE with low mathematical content (such as business and general management courses) then the better reputation of the university is important. If however you want to do a MSc in Economics at LSE or UCL which will have quite a bit of mathematics and econometrics then you need a solid undergraduate degree that will provided you the necessary quantitative skills needed.
I would tend to agree with what you are saying " for getting to a better course for the masters, I should look for the better subject reputation, and in the masters, I should look for the better general reputation".Generally speaking if you want to do a "soft" MSc course at UCL or LSE with low mathematical content (such as business and general management courses) then the better reputation of the university is important. If however you want to do a MSc in Economics at LSE or UCL which will have quite a bit of mathematics and econometrics then you need a solid undergraduate degree that will provided you the necessary quantitative skills needed.

I see. So basically, for economics course, I should pay attention on the reputation of the subject, and for business and management . the reputation of the school? In this case, I will then put Kent(economics) and Exeter(B&M) for my first two choices :smile: Thanks a lot for your help !
I see. So basically, for economics course, I should pay attention on the reputation of the subject, and for business and management . the reputation of the school? In this case, I will then put Kent(economics) and Exeter(B&M) for my first two choices :smile: Thanks a lot for your help !

You are welcome!

Go for Royal Holloway...you get a University of London degree...renowned around the world. Royal in title also carries some weight.
Teaching very good...a very caring attitude by most lecturers.

Kent & Exeter tend to be overrated, as they are in attractive, twee, very middle class, historic cities, prized by tourists.
I agree also that Royal Holloway is a better choice to Kent and Exeter, since Royal Holloway is a college of the university of London. Exeter is a long established university and Kent is a plate glass university.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest