The Student Room Group

Psychology Mocks are coming up

So my AS psychology Mocks are coming up and so far from the tests i am getting U's or E's. Don't matter how much i try, i still achieved very low grades that aren't acceptable in AS... so i really need help how to revise for psychology... Pleaseee help me to achieve higher grade :help:
Original post by fatima1998
So my AS psychology Mocks are coming up and so far from the tests i am getting U's or E's. Don't matter how much i try, i still achieved very low grades that aren't acceptable in AS... so i really need help how to revise for psychology... Pleaseee help me to achieve higher grade :help:

How are you revising for psychology, maybe try another way of revising? If soemthing wroks really well for one of your other subjects, you could try that?

For me, I use my classnotes and sometimes the textbook, summarise things and put them on flashcards, it helps to put things in your own words.
Reply 2
Original post by Black Rose
How are you revising for psychology, maybe try another way of revising? If soemthing wroks really well for one of your other subjects, you could try that?

For me, I use my classnotes and sometimes the textbook, summarise things and put them on flashcards, it helps to put things in your own words.

i have done the flashcard thing... but it didn't help me
the points that i find are important no one else has those and even the teacher, and the one that is the most important i usually find them not important :frown:
i have no idea how to revise for psychology as it's completely a different subject that has soo many studies to learn
i have done the flashcard thing... but it didn't help me
the points that i find are important no one else has those and even the teacher, and the one that is the most important i usually find them not important :frown:
i have no idea how to revise for psychology as it's completely a different subject that has soo many studies to learn

I just stick to the obvious important points to make sure that I get marks for it, try that?

You could try using a structure for the evaluation/longer answers. PEEL is the one we've been told to use. :smile:

Make your Point
Give Evidence for your point
Explain your point .. "this is a strength/weakness because.."
Link it back to the question (to make sure you're answering it/it's relevant!) "therefore... this means that.."

Method of revision:
- mindmaps
- teaching others
- recording yourself and listening back to it
- repeating things aloud
- revising with classmates
- drawing diagrams
- making a song of it
- a silly story to help it stick
- making notes from textbook then summarising those further into your own words (try having a limit on number of words to stick to key points)
- writing things over and over again
- using colour

Make a list of all the topics, prioritise them by ordering in terms of which you need more help with/need more time to go over, then tackle each one

If there is something you're particularly stuck on, ask the teacher for help!

Get practise from exam and practise questions! It will help to reinforce things and find your weaker areas.

Good luck! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
x

Hello, has the above helped? :h:

I have a few other suggestions if it hasn't. :smile:
Reply 5
Hello, has the above helped? :h:

I have a few other suggestions if it hasn't. :smile:

as many suggestions as i can receive would mean a lot:u:
Remember your AO1 (facts and knowledge), AO2 (application of knowledge to scenario Q's) , AO3 (evaluate/ GRAVE/GRENADE)

Think about what is the question actually asking you to do as sometimes you only have to include AO1, and sometimes AO1/3.

The two files attached should help.
Reply 7
Original post by Findlay6
Remember your AO1 (facts and knowledge), AO2 (application of knowledge to scenario Q's) , AO3 (evaluate/ GRAVE/GRENADE)

Think about what is the question actually asking you to do as sometimes you only have to include AO1, and sometimes AO1/3.

The two files attached should help.

thanks for that :h:
as many suggestions as i can receive would mean a lot:u:

You could try to BUG the question..

Box the command words e.g. Outline, Explain, Evaluate..

Underline the keywords (depends on what the question is asking)

Glance back over the whole question (with doing the above you might notice something you didn't before/miss something on the first read)

When you're doing past paper/practise questions and you mark them using the mark scheme look over them all and identify the questions where you've got the answer wrong/least marks. Work on that, you could revise over that topic, ask your teacher about it.. do an improved answer and show your teacher? It'd be good to have questions with perfect model (full marks) answers which you can revise from. :smile:
Reply 9
You could try to BUG the question..

Box the command words e.g. Outline, Explain, Evaluate..

Underline the keywords (depends on what the question is asking)

Glance back over the whole question (with doing the above you might notice something you didn't before/miss something on the first read)

When you're doing past paper/practise questions and you mark them using the mark scheme look over them all and identify the questions where you've got the answer wrong/least marks. Work on that, you could revise over that topic, ask your teacher about it.. do an improved answer and show your teacher? It'd be good to have questions with perfect model (full marks) answers which you can revise from. :smile:

:ta:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending