The Student Room Group

Why Should Private Schools be abolished??

More recently on TSR there have been threads and posts about private schools being abolished. I dont understand why? The private school i go to there is a boy who is on a scholarship and is from quite a deprived area, now he does not really get on with anybody and spends most of his day complaining about "private school posh people" and how it is not fair how people are paying for an education and that they should be abolished. Yet he goes to one -.-

What do you think, are private schools unfair and should they be abolished?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No and no.
No, they aren't unfair at all and this comes from somebody who has been through both systems twice.
Sorry, you're smart enough but your parents don't have enough money...goodbye
Original post by KingKoala

Not how it works at all.
Reply 5
They shouldn't.
Reply 6
Original post by KingKoala

Well then go to a state school/grammar school? What kind of a stupid comment is that.
Original post by AceViva
More recently on TSR there have been threads and posts about private schools being abolished. I dont understand why? The private school i go to there is a boy who is on a scholarship and is from quite a deprived area, now he does not really get on with anybody and spends most of his day complaining about "private school posh people" and how it is not fair how people are paying for an education and that they should be abolished. Yet he goes to one -.-

literally everyone i know who has been educated privately have all said they hated it so much so..
I can't see the reasons why it should be abolished. I myself go to a really posh private school with academic scholarship, yet people there are friendly and treat everyone equally. So NOPE!
Reply 9
Absolutely not. If you think about it, every student who goes to a private school and pays for their tuition is a student who therefore doesn't need or take up a place at a state school. If private schools were abolished, the government would have all those additional students needing school places - more money for new schools, bigger schools. As it is, wealthier kids going to private schools takes them out of the equation for state schools, meaning there are more places available for kids who don't have the option of going to private school.

There is of course an inequality of opportunity between private school students and students who go through the state system for their whole education, but abolishing private schools isn't the answer because building the replacement state schools would drain the money that should be used for improving the state schools we already have, and everyone would lose out. Leave the private schools to themselves, and put the taxpayer's money into state schools.
Reply 10
Original post by Justmoll28
literally everyone i know who has been educated privately have all said they hated it so much so..

Why so? I enjoy it, but then again some private schools are abit strict.
I don't see anything wrong with private schools. They should not be abolished for many reasons. One of them being parents paying a fortune to give their child a high quality form of education. However, that's not to say state schools don't because I personally think the school I go to offers very high quality content. :smile:
Original post by AceViva
Why so? I enjoy it, but then again some private schools are abit strict.

just the quality of education is not worth the money, the people who also go are 'posh' and they dont fit in, the facilities are not any different to none private education i could go on and on haha im personally so glad i wasn't put in private school
I go to a private school and I don't see the difference between my school and other schools.
Reply 14
Original post by Justmoll28
just the quality of education is not worth the money, the people who also go are 'posh' and they dont fit in, the facilities are not any different to none private education i could go on and on haha im personally so glad i wasn't put in private school

Thats interesting but then again it depends on the people at the school, at my school we are all good friends and no one is really left out apart from the few people on scholarships and thats only because they just despise us -.-
Private schools aren't unfair at all. Everyone in the UK gets a chance at education due to state schools, and if people want to they can pay more for an education they can. It's not as if rich people are guaranteed a better education, as in most cases anyone can go to a state school and anyone can (theoretically, not in practice) go to a private school. What is unfair is how some people are born poorer than others, but that is an issue which is practically impossible to solve without creating tons of new problems, so we just have to deal with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AceViva
Thats interesting but then again it depends on the people at the school, at my school we are all good friends and no one is really left out apart from the few people on scholarships and thats only because they just despise us -.-

boohoo
Reply 17
Original post by AceViva

No, they are not. It's just bitter, poor people finding something to complain about because they cannot afford it.

The fact still remains that people (including the poor) will work harder if/when they are paid more.

Example: Doctors on stike vs. doctors in private sectors.
Original post by AceViva
Well then go to a state school/grammar school? What kind of a stupid comment is that.

Grammar schools were phased out... because they give bright deprived students silly ideas... they undermine our class system

Original post by ellie0497
I go to a private school and I don't see the difference between my school and other schools.

Then don't go to one, and save your family £££... if you really do think its not any different
Original post by Mathemagicien

Then don't go to one, and save your family £££... if you really do think its not any different

I'm currently in year 13 so there's really no point...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending