The Student Room Group

Could you be in a long term relationship with a person that makes a minimum wage sala

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Well that is what I consider new age hippies to be, and please do not take it as an insult.
You're going against tradition

A new age hippy is someone who doesn't want kids and can afford the life they want on a single income?
Original post by SophieSmall
Stop acting like a victim, there is no vendetta against you.

Ah the old "I was raised with these views therefore nothing I think and do is my fault" excuse. Do you not have free will? Do you not have a mind of your own?

You clearly do not respect my views or the views of others, so why should we respect yours?

I respect your right to have your views, but I certainly do not respect your views.

Of course I have free will but I do not think that understand, I mean yes I am not as conservative as my grandparents but when you grow up around such strong views it is hard to shake off, it's like a religion.
I take in your views, I dissect them and I try to understand where you're coming from.
I have been called a bigot,homophobe,racist,sexist,transphobe,idiot and it is not fair as I am none of those things.
A new age hippy is someone who doesn't want kids and can afford the life they want on a single income?

I do not really know, but I just thought you were one.
I mean what life do you really want?
I do not really know, but I just thought you were one.
I mean what life do you really want?

A pretty normal life.

Decent well kept home, see friends and family often, go out for food and drinks when I want to, do activities I enjoy, have a loving relationship, have a pet or two ect.

Just normal things that make us human, the only difference is I don't need a lot of money to do those things. I don't need a 60 inch plasma screen TV to make me happy or a holiday to the most expensive place in the world every year. I'm quite happy with the smaller things in life and low key holidays. I enjoy the simpler things, not luxury for the sake of luxury.
Of course I have free will but I do not think that understand, I mean yes I am not as conservative as my grandparents but when you grow up around such strong views it is hard to shake off, it's like a religion.
I take in your views, I dissect them and I try to understand where you're coming from.
I have been called a bigot,homophobe,racist,sexist,transphobe,idiot and it is not fair as I am none of those things.

I think as a child it can be difficult to have your own views when in such a strong viewed household. But once your an adult I really don't think there is any excuse to have a view purely because you were raised with that view, you can think for yourself.

From your posts I have seen no evidence of you trying to ever understand other people's views...ever.

Some of your posts and views have very clearly shown you are some of those things.
You say you do not care, but how do you expect to pay for a wedding, raise a family,pay the mortgage and even go on holiday on just your salary alone?

Because I want to know the genuine views of my fellow tsr users, and if I feel like their views are not genuine I try to correct their views.

I do not dismiss everyone
I notice that you seem to dislike and bully me.

I don't want to get married. I don't want kids. I'm not fussed about owning a house (as long as I can rent somewhere that lets me have a dog). Holidays aren't a big deal, yes I like to travel but I want to be with someone who I can have an adventure with everyday even if that adventure is baking a cake.

My views are genuine. Just because they don't fit into your ideas of what I should want doesn't mean they're not what I want.
I'm late to the party, but I'm absolutely fine with my partner earning minimum wage. I earn more than enough myself already to be the sole earner. Who cares as long as the bills get paid? Some women do want rich guys - I know a horribly shallow girl who refused to date anyone earning less than £50k - but they're the exception, and the subject of ridicule from the majority.
I think as a child it can be difficult to have your own views when in such a strong viewed household. But once your an adult I really don't think there is any excuse to have a view purely because you were raised with that view, you can think for yourself.

From your posts I have seen no evidence of you trying to ever understand other people's views...ever.

Some of your posts and views have very clearly shown you are some of those things.

Okay, cool that is your lifestyle choice, see I have accepted your view.
Now I can guarantee you that I am none of those things, I might bea bit classist and have some mild sexist views but I am not a bigot or a racist or a homophobe
Reply 148
Original post by XMaramena
Yes, because I earn enough to support the both of us quite comfortably. If this was a few years ago when I left school, I'd probably be saying something quite different.

Exactly. A lot of the responses on here are coming from 16-21 year old kids who have an idealistic view of the world that if you go to university automatically = a high paying great job. Had they been in the job market properly they would realise that any job is better than no job and its not that easy to find a high paying job anymore - too much competition. Id rather my man have ANY job than no job at all, it just proves hes not a job snob and with do anything to support his family. I don't earn a lot of money because my choice of career does not offer so, but I work damn hard and proud of what I do.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I don't want to get married. I don't want kids. I'm not fussed about owning a house (as long as I can rent somewhere that lets me have a dog). Holidays aren't a big deal, yes I like to travel but I want to be with someone who I can have an adventure with everyday even if that adventure is baking a cake.

My views are genuine. Just because they don't fit into your ideas of what I should want doesn't mean they're not what I want.

I find it interesting that you do not want the financial and social securities in life.
Reply 150
Original post by PangXie
I'm late to the party, but I'm absolutely fine with my partner earning minimum wage. I earn more than enough myself already to be the sole earner. Who cares as long as the bills get paid? Some women do want rich guys - I know a horribly shallow girl who refused to date anyone earning less than £50k - but they're the exception, and the subject of ridicule from the majority.

Adult relationships are partnerships - like you said, as long as the bills get paid who cares? I earn a lot less than my partner and we do okay. My step dad earns a ton less than my mum - does it matter? No. As long as bills are paid and food on the table, in an adult relationship it should not matter.
Okay, cool that is your lifestyle choice, see I have accepted your view.
Now I can guarantee you that I am none of those things, I might bea bit classist and have some mild sexist views but I am not a bigot or a racist or a homophobe

"I'm none of those things" then goes on to say actually yeah a bit sexist... okay. Your views say otherwise.
I find it interesting that you do not want the financial and social securities in life.

And why can she not provide her own financial security? Why does a man need to do it for her?
Reply 153
Never. I have standards.
Original post by Tw1x
Exactly. A lot of the responses on here are coming from 16-21 year old kids who have an idealistic view of the world that if you go to university automatically = a high paying great job. Had they been in the job market properly they would realise that any job is better than no job and its not that easy to find a high paying job anymore - too much competition. Id rather my man have ANY job than no job at all, it just proves hes not a job snob and with do anything to support his family. I don't earn a lot of money because my choice of career does not offer so, but I work damn hard and proud of what I do.

But how would you and partner live a comfortable life?
A relationship cannot last without financial security.

People's views on comfortable differ massively. What might be comfortable to you might not be comfortable for someone else. And what is comfortable for me might not be comfortable for you.
Reply 156

Me and my partner are financially stable? Any body, even the CEO of NASA could lose their job tomorrow or the next day, it could happen to anybody. My partner lost his job 2 weeks before xmas last year and we survived. And we both live a comfortable life. We don't need a massive house and flash cars, we're happy with what we have - although a holiday wouldn't go amiss hah, but this is our choice not to save up for this, not because we couldn't afford to.
"I'm none of those things" then goes on to say actually yeah a bit sexist... okay. Your views say otherwise.

But we all have some sort of view or opinion, but it does not make to be bad people.

I am transparent enough to admit, and say yes, but in a nutshell my views are not extremist nor dangerous.
I bet you might be more judgemental and even racist
But we all have some sort of view or opinion, but it does not make to be bad people.
I am transparent enough to admit, and say yes, but in a nutshell my views are not extremist nor dangerous.

Depends on what people view as bad. I'm not exactly delusional enough to think you're as bad as ISIS or the KKK. But in my opinion because of your views and attitudes towards people, while I wouldn't class you as a "bad person" I don't view you as decent either.
And why can she not provide her own financial security? Why does a man need to do it for her?

A man is meant to provide and be the bread winner

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending