The Student Room Group

French at A level?

Could someone please give me an insight as to what its like, is it extremely hard, how long did it take you to get used to it ect and the grades you started with vs the grades you get now if you've completed your a levels thanks :biggrin:
French at A-Level is brilliant. Especially if you really get excited by it at GCSE. You'll learn so many things including a more in-depth and focused insight into French culture, advanced language and many new topics (gay marriage, terrorism, adoption, the Internet, technology, but to name a few). It's a little bit challenging but I take both French and Spanish and I find French to be so much easier. When you start A-Levels, your grades categorically will not be "good". They'll be GCSE level, which is to be expected. At the start of the course, you won't get assessed for a couple of months until your teacher is confident you can handle a test so when you take one, you'll be ready. As you learn more language and grammar throughout the year, your grades will improve massively. :yep:

I can't recommend it enough and if you have any specific questions, please PM me! :h:
Reply 2
Original post by iEthan
French at A-Level is brilliant. Especially if you really get excited by it at GCSE. You'll learn so many things including a more in-depth and focused insight into French culture, advanced language and many new topics (gay marriage, terrorism, adoption, the Internet, technology, but to name a few). It's a little bit challenging but I take both French and Spanish and I find French to be so much easier. When you start A-Levels, your grades categorically will not be "good". They'll be GCSE level, which is to be expected. At the start of the course, you won't get assessed for a couple of months until your teacher is confident you can handle a test so when you take one, you'll be ready. As you learn more language and grammar throughout the year, your grades will improve massively. :yep:

I can't recommend it enough and if you have any specific questions, please PM me! :h:

Thank you so how was it when you started were you getting E's and such?
Original post by TyanaChu
Thank you so how was it when you started were you getting E's and such?

Almost everyone in our class was getting ""low"" grades. My first assessment was taken a little bit over a month after we started and I got a C in that one. However, in the mini tests before that grades really could fluctuate anywhere from E-C. I'm now achieving Bs and As :yep:
Personally, I regret taking French a lot. French at A-Level is so much more spontaneous. You can't rely on a prepared speech, 40 word sheet, and a dictionary in your Writing or Speaking anymore. It takes up a lot of your time, like any language you have to practise it every day. So if you're not willing to commit to it and take it up to A2, I wouldn't recommend using it as a "filler" subject like I essentially did.

Quick Reply

Latest