The Student Room Group

Dissertation

Hey Guys!

I'm really struggling to get participants for my dissertation survey! Would you please fill out my questionnaire?? It takes approx 10 mins!!! its on RELAIONSHIPS AND FAMILY STRUCTURE!
Thank you so much in advance!!!
https://ntupsychology.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/research-project-ntu2
I'm very happy to do yours in return!! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
This survey is really flawed. I don't have a father as he died when I was young but there's no option to inform you of that - just seperation and divorce.
Also there's no 'not applicable' option for if a person does not see one of their parents at all, it just ranges from strongly disagree to strongly agree.
Furthermore there's an option for 'brought up by mother' but none for 'brought up by father' (not that this applies to me, but it does to some).

Couldn't complete the survey due to a lack of options that related to my circumstances.
Reply 2
Original post by georgiaswift
This survey is really flawed. I don't have a father as he died when I was young but there's no option to inform you of that - just seperation and divorce.
Also there's no 'not applicable' option for if a person does not see one of their parents at all, it just ranges from strongly disagree to strongly agree.
Furthermore there's an option for 'brought up by mother' but none for 'brought up by father' (not that this applies to me, but it does to some).

Couldn't complete the survey due to a lack of options that related to my circumstances.

Dear Georgia!

Firstly, I'm sorry about your father. Secondly, there is the option "i was brought up by my mom for the majority of my childhood". Thanks anyway
Original post by bivettt
Dear Georgia!

Firstly, I'm sorry about your father. Secondly, there is the option "i was brought up by my mom for the majority of my childhood". Thanks anyway

Exactly, but, like I said, there is an option for 'I was brought up by my mum from birth' but no option for 'I was brought up from my father from birth'. Like I said, this doesn't apply to me but I know people who this does apply to and they would be unable to fill in the survey because of this.
Reply 4
Exactly, but, like I said, there is an option for 'I was brought up by my mum from birth' but no option for 'I was brought up from my father from birth'. Like I said, this doesn't apply to me but I know people who this does apply to and they would be unable to fill in the survey because of this.

Those people are not investigated in this study :smile: Thats why there is no such an option.
Reply 5
Original post by bivettt
Those people are not investigated in this study :smile: Thats why there is no such an option.

So you've essentially created a survey to only get answers that you want? Surely any sort of survey based on effects of parenting should have answers from both sides, rather than jumping to conclusions about a cause which is potentially mirrored by the opposing stand-point?

In addition like Georgia I also have a deceased father. How am I meant to even answer half those questions?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
So you've essentially created a survey to only get answers that you want? Surely any sort of survey based on effects of parenting should have answers from both sides, rather than jumping to conclusions about a cause which is potentially mirrored by the opposing stand-point?

In addition like Georgia I also have a deceased father. How am I meant to even answer half those questions?

I completely agree. I couldn't complete the survey as it didn't provide options pertaining to my life. It's not really a fair survey on parenting and relationships if you don't want anyone who doesn't have contact with their father for whatever reason.

Sounds to me like op ****ed up when creating their survey, and is now trying to backtrack. Good luck with that dissertation op!
Reply 7
I completely agree. I couldn't complete the survey as it didn't provide options pertaining to my life. It's not really a fair survey on parenting and relationships if you don't want anyone who doesn't have contact with their father for whatever reason.

Sounds to me like op ****ed up when creating their survey, and is now trying to backtrack. Good luck with that dissertation op!

The general purpose of the study is to examine the 4 most prevalent household types , thats why growing up with the father is not included! its hard enough cause i need equal number of participants in all of my 4 groups! I'm trying to argue that its the parental attachment with at least one of the primary caregiver is more important than the family structure in determining the extent to which people engage in aggression and how they experience later romantic relationships.

Anyway, thank you for trying to fill it out!
Reply 8
Original post by bivettt
The general purpose of the study is to examine the 4 most prevalent household types , thats why growing up with the father is not included! its hard enough cause i need equal number of participants in all of my 4 groups! I'm trying to argue that its the parental attachment with at least one of the primary caregiver is more important than the family structure in determining the extent to which people engage in aggression and how they experience later romantic relationships.

Anyway, thank you for trying to fill it out!

What are these four groups and why do you need an equal number of participants from each?

If you want to demonstrate a link to attachement to a primary caregiver then why does that disqualify people where one parent is deceased?

Also you need to not get so stressed out by criticism. You're writing a dissertation for christ's sake, it's going to be criticized.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
What are these four groups and why do you need an equal number of participants from each?If you want to demonstrate a link to attachement to a primary caregiver then why does that disqualify people where one parent is deceased?Also you need to not get so stressed out by criticism. You're writing a dissertation for christ's sake, it's going to be criticized.

PRSOM. Interesting that OP thinks that growing up with one's father as the primary caregiver doesn't count as a household type. Way too sensitive to criticism considering they're doing their dissertation. Probably because we've poked so many holes in it so quickly :P
Reply 10
Original post by bivettt
Hey Guys!

I'm really struggling to get participants for my dissertation survey! Would you please fill out my questionnaire?? It takes approx 10 mins!!! its on RELAIONSHIPS AND FAMILY STRUCTURE!

Done :smile:
If you could do mine I would be really grateful :smile:
https://mmupsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_72l9scUcRayVQKp
You have to be 18 years old and it should take around 6-8 minutes! Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by Annie18
Done :smile:
If you could do mine I would be really grateful :smile:
https://mmupsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_72l9scUcRayVQKp
You have to be 18 years old and it should take around 6-8 minutes! Thank you!

done yours! thansk for doing mine! good luck to both of us:smile:
Original post by bivettt
Hey Guys!

I've moved this from Relationships to the Survey section :yep:

As above, my father passed away when I was 15, so some of these should have an N/A option. I'm having to answer it as if he was still here because I need to "select exactly 3 answers".

Also, a lot of these questions are very similar and feels repetitive, so take into account order effects, because I'm not sure I picked all the correct ones as I was getting bored/tired, plus the negation of the question kept changing.

Filled it out though - best of luck!
Reply 13
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I've moved this from Relationships to the Survey section :yep:

As above, my father passed away when I was 15, so some of these should have an N/A option. I'm having to answer it as if he was still here because I need to "select exactly 3 answers".

Also, a lot of these questions are very similar and feels repetitive, so take into account order effects, because I'm not sure I picked all the correct ones as I was getting bored/tired, plus the negation of the question kept changing.

Filled it out though - best of luck!

Thank you very much for filling it out! all the best to you too! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by bivettt
done yours! thansk for doing mine! good luck to both of us:smile:

Thank you lovely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest