The Student Room Group

Could you be in a long term relationship with a person that makes a minimum wage sala

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PangXie
Why?

Its a traditional role that has been working for decades
Original post by Blue_Mason
But my views are harmless and they're not even remotely abhorrent.
Compared to what normally gets posted on comment sections on the internet.

Depends what you classify as abhorrent and harmful.

One persons view often is not harmful, but when it's the view of many it can become a problem and it can become harmful and restrict the freedom of others. When you have a large group of people for example voting for a country to be run under a specific religion and ostracising those who don;t follow it, or when you have a country which advocates apartheid or few rights for women ect.

So while your views may not directly impact others, they can become a problem if they become wide spread and if people with views like yours believe their views should dictate the lives of others. That is what I have a problem with. And that is why I don't respect many of your views, because they are views I view as oppressive and backwards which I think have no place in this day and age.
Its a traditional role that has been working for decades

"Black men labouring as slaves for white men was a traditional role that worked for decades."

Valid reason to continue?
Original post by PangXie
"Black men labouring as slaves for white men was a traditional role that worked for decades."

Valid reason to continue?

Now, we do not even have to go there.
Why would you even take the subject to that level?
Slavery was and is barbaric a act, and I am ashamed of my country involvement.
Original post by SophieSmall
Depends what you classify as abhorrent and harmful.

One persons view often is not harmful, but when it's the view of many it can become a problem and it can become harmful and restrict the freedom of others. When you have a large group of people for example voting for a country to be run under a specific religion and ostracising those who don;t follow it, or when you have a country which advocates apartheid or few rights for women ect.

So while your views may not directly impact others, they can become a problem if they become wide spread and if people with views like yours believe their views should dictate the lives of others. That is what I have a problem with. And that is why I don't respect many of your views, because they are views I view as oppressive and backwards which I think have no place in this day and age.

It is not oppressive when lots of women are happy to become a housewife.
I cannot force a woman to be my house wife, but if marriage would come into play then I would expect for her to fulfil her duties when needed.
I do not believe in dictatorship, and freedom of speech is a must
Now, we do not even have to go there.
Why would you even take the subject to that level?
Slavery was and is barbaric a act, and I am ashamed of my country involvement.

Because it's an example of a role which was traditionally assigned, which people said should be continued because it's "how things are supposed to be" - which is what you're saying regarding men being the breadwinners. But logically there's no reason why a black man should be a slave for a white man, or why a man should earn more than his female partner, except for "tradition". Which, by your own admission, leads to barbaric acts which people are ashamed of, so clearly we can't trust tradition to make our choices for us.
This thread is officially becoming a vehicle to release inner frustrations and fear...

I was 5 .. I wanted this little white car!!! I didnt get that for Christmas!!!
SANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA¬ NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~ T.T
It is not oppressive when lots of women are happy to become a housewife.
I cannot force a woman to be my house wife, but if marriage would come into play then I would expect for her to fulfil her duties when needed.
I do not believe in dictatorship, and freedom of speech is a must

Wanting your partner to be a traditional housewife is one thing. Saying that is how it "should" be is another entirely.
(edited 8 years ago)
It wouldn't really matter with the money, as long as I earn enough. However it depends how interesting they are. Someone working in a boring dead end job wouldn't be very interesting to me, unless they have something else going on in their life.
Wanting your partner to be a traditional housewife is one thing. Saying that is how it "should" be is another entirely.

Okay Sophie, but how about we forget about my previous comments and we start a new leaf.
Okay Sophie, but how about we forget about my previous comments and we start a new leaf.

Dismissing my point then ey? That's what you tend to do when you're can't explain your way out of your views or adequately give a rebuttal to another's argument.

Why? I fail to see the point. For as long as you have the views you have I simply cannot respect you, and you can be as bothered by that as you like I don't really care. But when you're constantly making the threads and comments you do I find it silly for you to complain when people disagree with or don't like you and your views.
Dismissing my point then ey? That's what you tend to do when you're can't explain your way out of your views or adequately give a rebuttal to another's argument.

Why? I fail to see the point. For as long as you have the views you have I simply cannot respect you, and you can be as bothered by that as you like I don't really care. But when you're constantly making the threads and comments you do I find it silly for you to complain when people disagree with or don't like you and your views.

But I am just being civil, and I think you should accept my civil request of making new amendments.

I have posted many positive views and discussions on tsr, but you choose to bring up my controversial ones.

I have apologized to every tsr member that I have offended but, Tsr members are still belittling and insulting me, and it goes against tsr rules.
(edited 8 years ago)
But I am just being civil, and I think you should accept my civil request of making new amendments.

I have posted many positive views and discussions on tsr, but you choose to bring up my controversial ones.

I have apologized to every tsr member that I have offended but, Tsr members are still belittling and insulting me, and it goes against tsr rules.

And am I not being civil? I have not insulted you nor have I verbally abused you. I have merely stated why I disagree with your views and why your views affect my opinion of you as a person.

Care to give me an example of a positive thing you have said ? Because from what I have seen your "controversial" posts heavily outweigh any positive*ones.

I have neither belittled or insulted you on this thread nor broken any tsr rules.
I am just telling her the truth, as deep down she knows that money is important in a relationship.
No woman wants a poor man

I'd rather marry a happy street cleaner than a neurotic professional.

Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds, to quote the Bard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And am I not being civil? I have not insulted you nor have I verbally abused you. I have merely stated why I disagree with your views and why your views affect my opinion of you as a person.

Care to give me an example of a positive thing you have said ? Because from what I have seen your "controversial" posts heavily outweigh any positive*ones.

I have neither belittled or insulted you on this thread nor broken any tsr rules.

In this topic I have said that slavery was barbaric and should never have happened, I have also defended and helped other tsr members.
I am just asking you to forget my controversial posts?
Okay you're not insulting me, but they're other tsr members who stalk and insult me
Original post by Katty3
I'd rather marry a happy street cleaner than a neurotic professional.

Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds, to quote the Bard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Love does not pay the bills or the mortgage.
I am 21 years old and I know what love is, but I also live in the real world.
LOOOOOOL yes. omg, i dont really see the problem ?? if he could afford things for himself, and was alright with the money its ok, bc its his money. also, if he enjoyed his job im sure its fine. & if he didn't im sure we could basically work together for him to get more money or something.
Love does not pay the bills or the mortgage.
I am 21 years old and I know what love is, but I also live in the real world.

I am well aware that love doesn't pay the bills. However, I do not value material goods. I wish to enter a reasonably paid profession. I know that I will never be rich, but I never want to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In this topic I have said that slavery was barbaric and should never have happened, I have also defended and helped other tsr members.
I am just asking you to forget my controversial posts?
Okay you're not insulting me, but they're other tsr members who stalk and insult me

Are you seriously asking for a pat on the back for finding slavery barbaric? That should be a basic view, not something to be commended for.

No I won't just forget your controversial posts, because you constantly post them. If you don't like being criticised for your views then why are you consistently posting them and asking people for their opinions if you don't want to hear them?

What other members do has nothing to do with me in this context.
Are you seriously asking for a pat on the back for finding slavery barbaric? That should be a basic view, not something to be commended for.

No I won't just forget your controversial posts, because you constantly post them. If you don't like being criticised for your views then why are you consistently posting them and asking people for their opinions if you don't want to hear them?

What other members do has nothing to do with me in this context.

No, but I am just giving you an example.
I like to see everyone's opinions,and i accept everyone's opinions.
But there is a saying called forgive and forget, and you must forget and move on.
My threads are controversial but thought provoking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending