Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by Mld120
I actually prefer that it's longer + you come out with a masters not a bachelors! I'm torn though because I like the college system in Durham and it's the top uni for English Literature... Difficult haha :/

Have you looked around both? You probably won't be able to decide until you get a feel for them both. Yeah the masters part is good, but as I'm applying for a language course that would mean five years :/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 461
Original post by Els-12
Have you looked around both? You probably won't be able to decide until you get a feel for them both. Yeah the masters part is good, but as I'm applying for a language course that would mean five years :/

I haven't yet but am planning to at Easter! Ah that's fair enough - that might be the case for me as well as I'd want to do a year abroad, but I don't mind too much... Which one are you leaning towards yourself? For me the biggest (although most annoying) point is that St Andrews would be free for me as I'm from the EU... Hopefully visiting will help me make my mind up!
Got an offer for maths! :biggrin:
Reply 463
Original post by Mld120
I haven't yet but am planning to at Easter! Ah that's fair enough - that might be the case for me as well as I'd want to do a year abroad, but I don't mind too much... Which one are you leaning towards yourself? For me the biggest (although most annoying) point is that St Andrews would be free for me as I'm from the EU... Hopefully visiting will help me make my mind up!

I haven't seen them yet, but am planning too in Easter too :smile: at the moment I'm thinking Durham as its better for my course and slightly closer to where I live, but I'm really not sure! Do you mind me asking where in the EU you're from? I may put St. Andrews as insurance as the offer was lower, were your offers both the same?
Reply 464
Original post by Els-12
I haven't seen them yet, but am planning too in Easter too :smile: at the moment I'm thinking Durham as its better for my course and slightly closer to where I live, but I'm really not sure! Do you mind me asking where in the EU you're from? I may put St. Andrews as insurance as the offer was lower, were your offers both the same?

Oh that's fair! I'm from Estonia, but I did my A-Levels in England. :smile: I think that's a good idea - you'll be well off either way!! I'm actually applying PQA so I've already got my grades (A*A*A) and so the offers are unconditional. What are your offers? :smile:
Reply 465
Original post by Mld120
Oh that's fair! I'm from Estonia, but I did my A-Levels in England. :smile: I think that's a good idea - you'll be well off either way!! I'm actually applying PQA so I've already got my grades (A*A*A) and so the offers are unconditional. What are your offers? :smile:

Ah that's so cool :smile:Congrats on your offers and grades! I need AAA for Durham and AAB for St Andrews, so as durham is higher I feel it might be better ? Not sure though
Reply 466
Original post by Els-12
Ah that's so cool :smile:Congrats on your offers and grades! I need AAA for Durham and AAB for St Andrews, so as durham is higher I feel it might be better ? Not sure though

Thank you! :smile: hmm... That's not always the case.. I would definitely research both courses in detail, look through all the modules etc and see which you prefer.. In terms of reputation, I think if you're planning to work in England after uni then Durham is regarded slightly higher, but in Scotlend, probably St Andrews... But in the end they are both great unis so it really comes down to which suits you better, and when you visit, which uni you can imagine yourself at more... :smile: that's what I'm hoping will happen anyway aha
I got an offer in Combined Social Sciences in November.
Hey guys, already firmed Durham for econ and only just realised how bad the investment banking prospects are, is there anyway I can change to firm bath instead ??
Original post by Econdoctor
Hey guys, already firmed Durham for econ and only just realised how bad the investment banking prospects are, is there anyway I can change to firm bath instead ??

Naa don't say that :frown:
I firmed bloody Durham for Econ to be a rich investment banker!
Reply 470
Original post by Econdoctor

Bath is not that big of an improvement over Durham for investment banking. Furthermore, if you like Durham more, stick to Durham a first at Durham would not put you at that big of a disadvantage.

I would understand if you had offers from Warwick, UCL or LSE and wanted to change your firm choice but I honestly do not think that Bath is worth the hassle. But if you are adamant that it is, you can find information on how to change your firm choice on UCAS, I think you're allowed to do it if you chose your firm within a time span of 10 days.

You probably saw the Linkedin rankings, don't go on those. If you really want to become an investment banker, your grades, connections/contacts and your internships can be of more significance than your university. For instance I know people doing geography at Durham who have secured places at Goldman Sachs.

But, again, if you feel the need to change, go for it. Best of luck.
Reply 471
??
I'm scared everyone in Durham will be rah's. I'm working class with an afro heritage, there's not a lot of people of colour at Durham, good uni tho
I'm nervous! Hoping the allocations start soon!
Received PPE offer in like November.
Applied to Butler before the Oxbridge deadline
Reply 475
Original post by 333-morgan
Received PPE offer in like November.
Applied to Butler before the Oxbridge deadline

That is supremely impressive. What grades do you have?
Original post by AunAb
That is supremely impressive. What grades do you have?

Thank you!
6A*s 4As GCSE
AS levels: AAAB
Predicted: A*A*A
Original post by Sugar_1998
I'm scared everyone in Durham will be rah's. I'm working class with an afro heritage, there's not a lot of people of colour at Durham, good uni tho

You'll be fine, I'm a Geordie so I'm definitely not a rah, so you're not alone in the state school club. Not everyone is a rah there especially as they have Durham Supported Progression to get deprived kids into Durham, like I know people who got offers from that route. When I visited Durham not everyone was white and even if they were we live in a day and age where people accept people for who they are and not their colouring. Hope this was reassuring but honestly don't worry about Rahs there are some lovely people who just so happen to have been born into privilege - no one can help their background
Original post by Sugar_1998

You don't have to worry! We live in the 21st century in a time when everyone is equal. I was a little scared at the beginning as well because I am not British but Bulgarian and many people believe Eastern Europeans are BAD people which is ********!
I think that in a university like Durham (attracting some of the brightest minds) people are aware that we all have done a lot to get to that uni. The fact that we are there means a lot. It doesn't matter how much money you have or what colour is your skin if you are a good person :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received an unconditional offer at 4.45 for Pharmacy with foundation 😀. Massive relief!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest