The Student Room Group

I regret taking a foundation year

It's terrible. I'm obviously more than half way through so I have to continue. I feel like i've wasted a year doing nothing. I hate feeling like a second class citizen here, it makes me feel really stupid. The teachers talk to us like we've got no qualifications.

To be honest, I don't even know why I did the foundation year. I got BBB in my A levels so I am more than capable of getting into a degree (I was offered a place in Aberdeen and here). Most people I have chatted to had ADD or something like that.

I'm not saying foundation degrees are bad, they are great for people who don't have any qualifications but to be perfectly honest it's not great for me. Entry requirements are also very high, I think it's 75% for my degree which will be difficult to achieve.

As I said I feel like i've wasted a year and I am the kind of person who wants to get things out of the road. It is also really embarrassing when I tell people because they always think I failed my A levels. I can't wait to get this year over with.

I'm worried that I won't even get into the degree at this stage as I don't average 75% (currently just under 70%) and that would be even more time wasted. Although I probably would be at 75% if it wasn't for me messing up my first piece of coursework.
(edited 8 years ago)
I always thought foundation/ access courses were for people without qualifcations to help them transition to starting a degree.

1. It will only be a year doing nothing if you dont achieve your aims and even then you usually get soemthing out of it. If it serves its puprose then its worthwhile.
2. It lookslike the reason you are ding it is so you cna get on a course your A levels wouldnt let you access? You must have used some reasoning as to why you chose to do it.
3. It might be annoying but it shouldnt make you feel stupid. How you feel is up to . You know the facts. You do have qualifications so dont let it bother you.
4. Dont bother about other people. you will not see them again. my view on people who are doing foundation courses is good for them, especially the mature students as theyve made an extra commitment to try and get where they want to go. I wouldnt dream of thinking they were stupid. The point is you are too worried about what people think, when it doesnt matter.
5. Focus and make sure you get the 75% by practice and hard work. Its all very well moaning about it, and how smart you are then you fail to get the required grade.
6. Work with your lecturers so you cna push up our grade, see if there are any extra course credits. Build rapport an start making contacts with the people who make decisions and run the degree you wnat to do.

Focus. Its less than 6 months and you cna be an undergrad on the degree you want. The choice is made. no time to look back or feel sorry for yourself.
Which Uni do you go to? I am doing it next year at Nottingham. Depends on the uni you go to I guess because ppl from notts told me it's pretty good when I visited. The lower unis not so much, they accept most people. Also I am going to go into engineering, depends on what you go into.
Original post by Frostyjoe
It's terrible. I'm obviously more than half way through so I have to continue. I feel like i've wasted a year doing nothing. I hate feeling like a second class citizen here, it makes me feel really stupid. The teachers talk to us like we've got no qualifications.

To be honest, I don't even know why I did the foundation year. I got BBB in my A levels so I am more than capable of getting into a degree (I was offered a place in Aberdeen and here). Most people I have chatted to had ADD or something like that.

I'm not saying foundation degrees are bad, they are great for people who don't have any qualifications but to be perfectly honest it's not great for me. Entry requirements are also very high, I think it's 75% for my degree which will be difficult to achieve.

As I said I feel like i've wasted a year and I am the kind of person who wants to get things out of the road. It is also really embarrassing when I tell people because they always think I failed my A levels. I can't wait to get this year over with.

I'm worried that I won't even get into the degree at this stage as I don't average 75% (currently just under 70%) and that would be even more time wasted. Although I probably would be at 75% if it wasn't for me messing up my first piece of coursework.

I've seen you mention this several times on here.
What are you studying btw?

You say you're worried about making 75% for entry to your chosen degree at this stage. Yet not so long ago you were complaining of having too much free time, and that you didn't need to do so much work since it was only a foundation degree, and so you felt lonely, bored etc.
Well one way of making sure you get the most out of this year is by trying to absolutely ace it, and guarantee your entry into the first year of the degree. So perhaps you can assuage some of these feelings by putting some more time into your studies?
Reply 5
Foundation years and foundation degrees are two entirely different things FYI.

Foundation years are primarily for people who didn't do the right subjects at A-level for their desired pathway ie. those who want to do engineering but didn't do maths at A-level NOT for those who didn't do well or missed their offer. I've never understood why some people would opt for a foundation year when missing their offer - why not just retake the year (which would save you £9000) or go to a different uni? Obviously unis still take on people for FY's if they've missed their offer to fill up the course and obviously to get their money but tbh if you're one of those people you should be doing well because this should just be a revision year for you and a chance to get your knowledge up to par rather than learning everything from new.

I think you need to stop worrying what other people's perceptions are of foundation years and try to get your head into the game. You're doing a foundation year for a reason, it's no use saying it's boring and you've already covered everything and then embarrassing yourself at the end of it by failing to get onto the actual degree. Think of it this way - you're already massively advantaged in that you've already done the required subjects so you have an increased chance of doing well this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goodwinning

Foundation years are primarily for people who didn't do the right subjects at A-level for their desired pathway ie. those who want to do engineering but didn't do maths at A-level NOT for those who didn't do well or missed their offer. I've never understood why some people would opt for a foundation year when missing their offer - why not just retake the year (which would save you £9000) or go to a different uni? Obviously unis still take on people for FY's if they've missed their offer to fill up the course and obviously to get their money but tbh if you're one of those people you should be doing well because this should just be a revision year for you and a chance to get your knowledge up to par rather than learning everything from new.

I think you need to stop worrying what other people's perceptions are of foundation years and try to get your head into the game. You're doing a foundation year for a reason, it's no use saying it's boring and you've already covered everything and then embarrassing yourself at the end of it by failing to get onto the actual degree. Think of it this way - you're already massively advantaged in that you've already done the required subjects so you have an increased chance of doing well this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clarification. I cna only remember access courses. Agree with your post 100%, but if he's already messed up it shows he should be spending more time studying and less time worrying what people think.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Thanks for clarification. I cna only remember access courses. Agree with your post 100%, but if he's already messed up it shows he should be spending more time studying and less time worrying what people think.

I haven't messed up i've got 70% average which is quite high. The entry requirement is 75% for the year abroad which I want to do but the degree without the year abroad is 65%.

It's very hard to get 75%, that's what i'm saying.
Reply 8
Original post by RiskVsReward
Which Uni do you go to? I am doing it next year at Nottingham. Depends on the uni you go to I guess because ppl from notts told me it's pretty good when I visited. The lower unis not so much, they accept most people. Also I am going to go into engineering, depends on what you go into.

I'm doing it at UEA.
Reply 9
Original post by goodwinning

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the foundation year because I don't have the correct A Levels to do the degree that I really, really want to do.

I did do AS Maths last year but I dropped it. That's all the exerience I have with these subejcts. It would appear that some people on the foundation year already have these qualifications as they are alot further ahead than me. I sometimes wonder like you why they are doing it.

It doesn't help either as alot of them are in the higher Maths Class and so they are alot further ahead than the rest of us (not that I'm struggling) and I think they should be put into their own class because they come out with terminology that we don't know etc which confuses us.

Anyway, I get annoyed when people assume that I have failed my A Levels which is why I don't say i'm on a foundation year.
(edited 8 years ago)
I haven't messed up i've got 70% average which is quite high. The entry requirement is 75% for the year abroad which I want to do but the degree without the year abroad is 65%.

It's very hard to get 75%, that's what i'm saying.

I just took it from
Although I probably would be at 75% if it wasn't for me messing up my first piece of coursework.

Anyway ive given you my advice and agreed what someone else said. If youve posted about this before then best just get on with it.
I'm doing it at UEA.

See the problem is on average 60 pass and 40 percent fail. I got offers from some of the best unis for enginnering in the UK such as Sheffield and Southampton to do their foundation year but Nottingham which is slightly less as good but is still amazing has about a 80-90 percent pass rate. Taking a foundation year is already risky as you could have just done it yourself at home and started year one so you really can't afford to mess up about 15k including rent which is why im taking the safer bet. Either way, work hard and get your grades. You have no option not to.

Also just say you did good but missed by one grade if you really feel that embarrassed most people will ask for a day and that's it. I don't even see the need to be shameful. It's just one year lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hmm, I wanted to do a foundation year at UEA. Is it really that bad? I'd have done the correct A levels, but I just feel with my situation I'd be better off having it retaught to me so I can get on to the undergrad course at UEA (which I really want to go to) rather than just go to another uni. Is this not a good idea?
Reply 13
I'm doing the foundation year because I don't have the correct A Levels to do the degree that I really, really want to do.

Well as per the thread title, that very clearly explains why you're doing it, if it's the only way into your ideal degree. Why would you regret doing it? It may be very hard work (or far too easy, apparently depending on how you feel when you post) but it's exactly the right preparation for the degree. It will stand you in much better stead than just doing the "right" A Levels. You're already working in a university way, which is giving you a head start.

Your marks are very good indeed and it won't take much more effort to push past that 75% threshold. Just pay attention to the feedback you're given on assignments, and concentrate on improving points raised there.

It would appear that some people on the foundation year already have these qualifications as they are alot further ahead than me. I sometimes wonder like you why they are doing it.

You really need to stop mithering about other people's motivations, perceptions etc. You have no idea why they're on the course unless they tell you. It doesn't affect what you do or how you do it, so don't waste time and energy stewing about it.

It doesn't help either as alot of them are in the higher Maths Class and so they are alot further ahead than the rest of us (not that I'm struggling) and I think they should be put into their own class because they come out with terminology that we don't know etc which confuses us.

There will always be people who know more about subjects than you do. You can't segregate yourself from them. The course aims to get you all up to the same level. If you don't understand things, ask for them to be explained. Lecturers will generally be pleased that someone has stayed awake long enough to realise they don't understand!

Anyway, I get annoyed when people assume that I have failed my A Levels which is why I don't say i'm on a foundation year.

You need to learn to tune out what other people are saying/thinking. You can't control any of that. If they think badly of someone averaging 70%, then more fool them - they're just begging to be ignored. Their perceptions of you can be confounded by you continuing to do well.
Reply 14

I did do AS Maths last year but I dropped it. That's all the exerience I have with these subejcts. It would appear that some people on the foundation year already have these qualifications as they are alot further ahead than me. I sometimes wonder like you why they are doing it.

Exactly, so you're on the foundation year for a completely understandable and valid reason - not because you screwed up your A-levels. I think the main problem here is you just need to change your mindset and the way you view this year. Screw everyone else and try to do your best. Don't look down on yourself just because you're on a foundation year; make sure you take advantage of all the resources and try not to get into the habit of thinking this year doesn't matter just because it's not the actual degree. A foundation year can prepare you better for your degree in certain instances and also when you're in first year properly you'll have already settled in and are used to the way things are at uni so you can focus on the work at hand. That's one advantage you'll have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending