The Student Room Group

scientific reasons for believing in god?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louissmith501
That's a modified version of the Big Crunch theory of the universes end, that it will eventually crunch together and begin anew. There are other theories such as the heat death model and the big freeze theory. None of which have been confirmed by the majority as most likely, at the moment they are ideas and no consensus has been made yet.

The multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of finite and infinite possible universes, including the universe we live in. Together, these universes comprise everything that exists: the entirety of space, time, matter, energy, and the physical laws andconstants that describe them.The various universes within the multiverse are called "parallel universes" or "alternate universes."

it means parrallel unvierses exsiting side by side, not in sequence okay?
Original post by john2054
The multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of finite and infinite possible universes, including the universe we live in. Together, these universes comprise everything that exists: the entirety of space, time, matter, energy, and the physical laws andconstants that describe them.The various universes within the multiverse are called "parallel universes" or "alternate universes."

it means parrallel unvierses exsiting side by side, not in sequence okay?

"And hence the universe is in eternal cycle" he was talking about a cyclical universe not a mutliverse, it's the same same universe because of the same matter that is recycled from one beginning to another, it's not concurrent universes.
"And hence the universe is in eternal cycle" he was talking about a cyclical universe not a mutliverse, it's the same same universe because of the same matter that is recycled from one beginning to another, it's not concurrent universes.

who was talking about a cyclical universe? The quote i posted was from wikipedia, and it talks about multiple universes, existing possibly in tandem, or otherwise in different dimensions. With possible wormholes linking them. But like i said, all of this is relative when you study even elementary quantum mechanics okay???
Original post by john2054
who was talking about a cyclical universe? The quote i posted was from wikipedia, and it talks about multiple universes, existing possibly in tandem, or otherwise in different dimensions. With possible wormholes linking them. But like i said, all of this is relative when you study even elementary quantum mechanics okay???

That was a reply to someone who posted the notion of a cyclical universe to which I said that it was a good theory but like all the others lacked practical demonstration.
Time is a real thing independent of humans, just like its twin space, (hence space-time) the confusion arises because Time is independent of us yet is relative to us due to distortion in space.

If you were to say walk around a black hole in ten minutes, if you return to Earth you'll find that ten years have passed and not ten minutes! This is because of ones perspective of time and it's a very weird thing, Einstein put it best:
"Kissing a pretty girl on a sunny bench for a minute feels like a second, putting your hand on a hot stove for one second feels like minute"

The Big Bang was an expression of that beginning of time. There was no before the Big Bang because it is like saying that there is a north norther than the North Pole, there is none! You have reached the end point, and to most physicists time literally began with the Big Bang, not after but with it.

It still doesn't make sense. The big bang caused itself or came out of nowhere. None of these make ideological or scientific sense regardless of whether time begun then or not.
Original post by champ_mc99
It still doesn't make sense. The big bang caused itself or came out of nowhere. None of these make ideological or scientific sense regardless of whether time begun then or not.

It doesn't make sense to you but to the scientific community who I trust to understand much more than we do understands it with no problem, so from a scientific sense it makes sense to those who study it.
Original post by cowie
As an agnostic; I heavily believe in science and I personally reckon one would have to be ignorant to be completely atheist. The unanswerable questions as to where the energy in the universe came from? - As energy cannot be created or destroyed, but what caused it to be there in the first place?
I reckon the term 'God' you're using is referring to a higher power of sorts?
There is nothing that can disprove the theory of a higher power and hence the idea that there may be one, cannot be discarded.

If I wasn't a Christian I'm pretty certain I'd be agnostic. To positively say there is no God cannot be reasoned thinking.

We say God because that is the name we know, but that power/spirit is I believe the life force of all creation.

Have you ever wondered why people seemingly 'automatically', when something good happens like winning the 400 metres or getting some good news, raise their hands and eyes upwards?

I've always thought this fascinating, its like reaching out to God during amazingly good and uplifting times. In appreciation, look out for it.

The reason I believe this happens is to support what the bible says about God 'having set eternity in man's heart'. It's in there.
Original post by RayApparently
I have enboldened what I think is the most ridiculous part of your post. Every other week someone hands me a leaflet asking me if I've 'found Jesus', No one's ever handed me one declaring that there is no God. When a baby is born it has no notion of any gods (and is therefore an 'atheist':wink:, but it certainly doesn't get up an start 'de-converting' people.

Also what's with this strange metaphor that puts Christianity on this pillar and lumps all other religions together. It's no better than any of the others.

I don't know where you live but I'm in a major city and I never see people with leaflets, apart from the JWs who might be outside the tube but that's because they have to earn their way into heaven so you can't really blame them.

I think a baby is born with inbuilt questioning including to find out the meaning of life, which develops as they mature. A person grows and starts to explore the options.

Also, there is a subtle undercurrent to completely remove the notion of God within schools, especially promoting science and evolution as being the total answer to life, the universe and everything and this subtle erosion of God is akin to the leaflet being placed in the passer's by hand but by the atheist saying 'there's no God'.

Sorry you were affronted by my use of a triangle. If there are around 7.3 billion people in the world

2.3 billion are estimated to be Christian,
1.1 billion Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist
3 billion other world faiths

I thought that was quite a good and generous visual aid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations#Christians
What is a "scientific reason"? explain what you mean by it.
Reply 109
Original post by Pls Mods Im Nice
You believe that there is no god. There isn't proof for there not being a god

i dont "believe" in anything. there's no evidence that the tooth fairy isn't real, but i assume you don't believe im him
Reply 110
Original post by the bear
the Almighty is not like a genie who pops out of a lamp when you rub it.

ive given him plenty of chances to prove to me he's real, he's decided not to
Original post by mangala
i dont "believe" in anything. there's no evidence that the tooth fairy isn't real, but i assume you don't believe im him

The evidence is that it was made up, search its origin. There is no origin that states God was made up?
Yes u do believe that there is no God aren't u an atheist?
Reply 112
Original post by ThatOldGuy
What specific evidence would you accept?

just genuine evidence that points towards god's existence, like evidence that any of your holy book's miracles happened etc
Who believes in the big bang rather than god?
Reply 114
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Thinking through a philosophical way based on this, for example an eye, it's so complex with each an every part of it having a purpose, surely it has to have a designer behind it?
Think about man made objects with complex features. It needs a superior intelligence behind it.

so what happens when we eventually make a computer with superior intelligence to that of its creator? makes no sense pal
Reply 115
Original post by physicst
think why the things are so logical . Don't you smell something suspicious ? I don't say god but something complicated is happening in the background. ??? but I don't know what is it???

what do you mean by "things are so logical"? give me an example?
Reply 116
Original post by Star Light
I'm not referring to the awareness of our existence, I think many animals have consciousness without self-awareness of existence. I'm just referring to consciousness, comprising the feeling of living in the moment, being able to think in your own head, etc. Consciousness is an emergent property of our brain which does not fit into physical dimensions, and I don't think it will ever be explained. We might isolate the particular group of cells which is necessary for it, but that's not saying what allows us to experience and be. The very nature of consciousness is reason enough for me to both believe that we'll never find a physical explanation for it, and that it's not a ridiculous idea that there is something beyond our physical, empirical world.

consciousness is a complex thing that we don't yet really understand, but just because we don't yet understand it doesn't mean that god created it
Original post by mangala
just genuine evidence that points towards god's existence, like evidence that any of your holy book's miracles happened etc

That's not specific. What specific evidence would you accept and how would you determine it's genuineness?

As a scientist, you have a theory: God is a real. You then come up with a method of proving or disproving said theory. The information you gather is what is called 'Evidence' in science. I want to know, since you want science to prove it, what methodology you would accept.
Reply 118
Original post by HAnwar
The Quran holds a unique literary form unlike any other book, the grammar, flow etc.
Also the fact it's the only holy book unchanged, as millions of Muslims worldwide recite the same verses (although pronunciation may differ) with almost the exact same translation.

This website may be worth a read

http://lostislamichistory.com/how-do-we-know-the-quran-is-unchanged/

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. even if the book was exactly the same as it was when it was first written, doesn't at all make it any more valid than another book. harry potter is the same as it was when it was first written, that doesn't make it true. you cannot use words within a book to prove that a bloke flew to heaven on a winged horse. show me evidence for the horse.

2. it has been changed. this is a long read, but worth it if you genuinly think your book is completely unchanged https://futiledemocracy.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/the-myth-of-the-unchanged-quran/
Reply 119
Original post by champ_mc99
Could you tell me about the multiverse. I heard Dawkins mention it once but never really understood.

i'll try, it's hard. basically, it says that our universe is just one of many number of ( possibly infinite) universes, with more being created all the time. however, as light exists within our universe it would be impossible to directly observe outside of our universe and see in to the multiverse.

if, in theory, you were outside of our universe looking out in to the multiverse, you wouldn't be able to see those other universes because light cannot travel outside of them, and therefore cannot reach your eyes for you to see it.

u are best off watching some documentary to be fair, its a madting

bear in mind this is an unproven theory, and may not be true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending