The Student Room Group

I'm a Buddhist AMA

Always wanted to do one of these threads but couldn't find a good topic till now! :biggrin: Ask away...

I might be a bit late in answering so I apologise in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DedicatedWizard
Always wanted to do one of these threads but couldn't find a good topic till now! :biggrin: Ask away...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What "branch"?
Mahayana, Theravada........ etc.?
how come? what evidence is there of buddhism's 'realness'?
Have you read the Petha stories? :lol:
Reply 4
totally agree ... very disrespectful ...
Oh I'm sorry, I genuinely didn't know that! :frown: I didn't really think that, since it was about my religion. Also I wasn't trying to mock the forum :/ Is there a way to move it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I'm sorry, I genuinely didn't know that! :frown: I didn't really think that, since it was about my religion. Also I wasn't trying to mock the forum :/ Is there a way to move it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make a mockery of the other forums? Lol, a mod will move it. Don't get why people need to fuss so much.
Why did you become a buddhist? :smile:
Original post by BookBird
Make a mockery of the other forums? Lol, a mod will move it. Don't get why people need to fuss so much.
Why did you become a buddhist? :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Well, I was born into a Buddhist family really and I have no interest in converting religions because I prefer Buddhism out of all of them. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nucdev
What "branch"?
Mahayana, Theravada........ etc.?

Theravada :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepysnooze
how come? what evidence is there of buddhism's 'realness'?

Well it's all down to faith really. I won't be able to prove if buddhism is real as you say!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your country of origin?
Original post by Eternalflames
Have you read the Petha stories? :lol:

I will look this up later because I don't know if I read them. Not really sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eternalflames
What's your country of origin?

Sri Lanka

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's all down to faith really. I won't be able to prove if buddhism is real as you say!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah but why buddhism and not another religion (or none)? how do you pick a religion without evidence being the deciding factor? 'eenie meenie miney mo'?
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse?
I will look this up later because I don't know if I read them. Not really sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's basically a bunch of funny stories, it's of Theravada buddhism. There's one story about a spirit, I won't say anymore and spoil the story. I know of them from my dad who is Atheist Buddhist(Theravada), but we're Indian.
r u white
I want to be a Buddhist, where is a place I can go for more information??
Original post by sleepysnooze
yeah but why buddhism and not another religion (or none)? how do you pick a religion without evidence being the deciding factor? 'eenie meenie miney mo'?

Well, I was born into a Buddhist family first of all so I didn't really pick it. In my mind, a supreme being that created this universe doesn't make sense so I don't believe in God.

I do believe that are higher beings than us called gods (we call them devas) and they're in a better place than us but are still suffering. We pay our respects and we sometimes pray to them as well if we need support.

There was a time in my life where I considered atheism but I find the idea of devas not existing very difficult and a bit frightening.

I hope this answered your question. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Have you read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse?

I don't think so! Is it a good read?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending