The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Is leicester a good uni?

I am working on my UCAS application, planning to apply for a BA in Politics and International Relations. Is anyone studying there currently or studied there that could tell me how it is? Is it a good uni?
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Very good University.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by lolap971
I am working on my UCAS application, planning to apply for a BA in Politics and International Relations. Is anyone studying there currently or studied there that could tell me how it is? Is it a good uni?
Thank you

I applied for International Relations and got my offer a few weeks ago! It's a really good uni from what I have heard. What other uni's are you applying to?
I'm a current politics student (first year) and the course, on the whole, is really interesting
Original post by shincup45
I'm a current politics student (first year) and the course, on the whole, is really interesting

Oh that is good to know! What kind of resources do you have to have such as books and do you spend a lot on them?
Have you/are you going to visit Leicester? When applying to any university you need to work out what you want from university and surrounding area beyond academics. Everyone's different. Personally I wasn't all that keen on Leicester but that's because I don't think it was a good fit for me. Plenty of other people seemed to like it fine but I would have preferred to be elsewhere.
Original post by justastudent321
Oh that is good to know! What kind of resources do you have to have such as books and do you spend a lot on them?

First term there were two books which cost £50, this term there is one which is about £30. This might seem like quite a bit, but compared to most of the other courses it's actually not that bad. A lot of the texts are available on-line which is really helpful.
Original post by JQLeitch
Very good University.

Could you please explain why it's very good?
I can't afford to go on n open day because the train tickets cost me like 90 quid to go down to Leicester.

How is Leicester area wise? I am quite worried because I heard from some people that it's a "shtihole"?
Original post by tinyflame
Could you please explain why it's very good?
I can't afford to go on n open day because the train tickets cost me like 90 quid to go down to Leicester.

How is Leicester area wise? I am quite worried because I heard from some people that it's a "shtihole"?

I honestly don't know to be honest, sorry.

All I know is University of Leicester (according to league tables and reviews) is a very good University, currently a top 30 University in the UK.

I have also heard Leicester is a **** hole, but I wouldn't let that impact you choosing your University. It has a good night life, if that's your thing, and very safe areas. There's also a lot to do in it, it's a large city.
(edited 8 years ago)
I honestly don't know to be honest, sorry.

All I know is University of Leicester (according to league tables and reviews) is a very good University, currently a top 30 University in the UK.

Yeah I know Leicester is high up in the league tables, but thanks for the repy anyways
Tbh my mate is 4th year at that university and he only goes there for jamie Vardy's parties :wink:
Tbh I wouldn't recommend Leicester, my mate got a first in economics and is currently applying for job seekers allowance
Original post by Econdoctor
Tbh I wouldn't recommend Leicester, my mate got a first in economics and is currently applying for job seekers allowance

Purely anecdotal, that could happen to anyone. The graduate prospects at Leicester in general are great.
Purely anecdotal, that could happen to anyone. The graduate prospects at Leicester in general are great.

Mate they've got you singing to their tunes, clapping to their songs etc. They send you one direction and thats the cash point on universal credit day
We love Leicester. The uni is right next to a lovely residential area called Clarendon Park, very much like The King's Road but decades ago. Very friendly people and lots of little terraced houses with twinkly lights at Christmas.The uni seems very good too although my son ended up elsewhere.Hope this helps
Original post by nedski
We love Leicester. The uni is right next to a lovely residential area called Clarendon Park, very much like The King's Road but decades ago. Very friendly people and lots of little terraced houses with twinkly lights at Christmas.The uni seems very good too although my son ended up elsewhere.Hope this helps

This doesn't help since a) the thread is 2 years old and b) considering you said your son actually left this specific uni, isn't a vote of confidence when answering the question "is uni of Leicester a good uni?" looool!
The university of Leicester is ranked #40, and not in the top 20. Please look at all of the available rankings as whom ever is saying that it's in the Top 20 is clearly giving you false information. It's not in the Russell Group and not a Prestigious university. It's not Bad, but nothing to really praise on about. It's a Good University as compared to an ex-polytechnic, but I wouldn't shout about it.
Original post by David Conway
The university of Leicester is ranked #40, and not in the top 20. Please look at all of the available rankings as whom ever is saying that it's in the Top 20 is clearly giving you false information. It's not in the Russell Group and not a Prestigious university. It's not Bad, but nothing to really praise on about. It's a Good University as compared to an ex-polytechnic, but I wouldn't shout about it.

Hey, this thread is 6 years old, this person has graduated by now!
Could anyone give me their views on Leicester uni as I’m going there this year? I’ve seen mixed reviews and just wanna know what I’m getting myself into.
Just any pros or any cons because I’ve seen people talk about it negatively which un-nerves me a little but also positively as well! :smile:

Would you say the teaching style and effort is good? As well as the social aspect? - I guess I’m asking if it has a good work/life balance since it’s not in a big city like London
Original post by Anonymous
Could anyone give me their views on Leicester uni as I’m going there this year? I’ve seen mixed reviews and just wanna know what I’m getting myself into.
Just any pros or any cons because I’ve seen people talk about it negatively which un-nerves me a little but also positively as well! :smile:

Would you say the teaching style and effort is good? As well as the social aspect? - I guess I’m asking if it has a good work/life balance since it’s not in a big city like London

Hi!

Thank you for your question!

I am currently a third year student (Medical Physiology) at Leicester and thought I could answer this question from my perspective :smile:

I think Leicester is a decent sized city with all the amenities you'd find in a big city - everything you need in close by and really you can find anything you'd need for your daily life. I've had an amazing time socially because I have joined the basketball society and made lots of friends. If you join a society (say a sports) you will have 1-2 training sessions weekly, games against other universities almost every Wednesday, then team socials every Wednesday after the games! Joining societies is the best way to get involved and make friends in my opinion. Leicester O2 is located in University of Leicester's campus and its students night out every Wednesday. Although you mentioned that Leicester is not a big city like London, I'd suggest you think about the cons of a bigger city (prices, commuting) etc as well. Personally I found that having fun wasn't as much about the location but more about having good friends and great vibes :smile:

In terms of teaching style, the way I'd describe it has been very independent. What I mean by that is that I'll have 1-2 hours of lectures daily, then the rest is pretty much self-learning and working on course works/doing reading. I've found it to be great for me cuz I can schedule my learning the way I want to and where I want to, as long as I get stuff done. Keep in mind that this is my experience studying Medical Physiology and it might differ course from course.

I hope this helps! If you have further questions, don't hesitate to keep them coming

- Shahla (Student Recruitment Assistant)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending