The Student Room Group

how long is your commute to uni?

I'm thinking of living at home during second year, it'll involve a 50min train then then the underground, so around 1 hour 15mins to get there in total. I'm starting to think it might be too much. How long is your commute?
(edited 8 years ago)
First year involved bus and two trains. Took 1.5 hours. Years two three and now into 4 go in car. 23 miles but rush hour on motorway takes an hour. Still by far cheapest option as not in every day
Original post by Dreammachine1997
I'm thinking of living at home during second year, it'll involve a 50min train then then the underground, so around 2 hours 15mins in total. I'm starting to think it might be too much. How long is your commute?

That is too much. Why do u want to live at home?
I'm thinking of living at home during second year, it'll involve a 50min train then then the underground, so around 1 hour 15mins to get there in total. I'm starting to think it might be too much. How long is your commute?

I feel as though I spend my life answering this same question, but:

First year: I lived on campus, so it took me between 2 and 6 minutes to get to wherever I needed to be on campus.

Second year: This bad boy's got me commuting 2 hrs between Saltdean (Sussex) and London, and 3 hours back to Saltdean, due to stupid train timings. I won't be doing this for third year - I'll probably be living at home up north and travelling down from Lime Street to Euston on Sunday - Tuesday (I have class on Mondays and Tuesdays only), and will stay in a local b&b on those nights. From Weds to Saturday I'll be back home, which is financially more viable for me. Living in London is great in theory, but ridiculously hard in practice - first year's a dream, the other two are a struggle.
I should add that I live in Saltdean with my dad during term as it's rent free, and then go back up to Southport for all holidays, etc., so I didn't just randomly decide to give myself a headache journey for no reason, haha.

EDIT: just noticed your question about how viable your commute will be - it will be a struggle at first, but you will get used to it. BUT, if you are getting the overground to Victoria, just don't do it. I find that travelling overground and then relying on the underground is really hard at times (like this morning where Victoria was closed for more than 15 mins meaning I jumped on a random bus to Hackney and hoped for the best, god bless) because the sheer level of congestion means that certain stations close their underground for a short while which causes an unprecedented amount of chaos. In order to avoid being caught up in this, you'll have to leave around 2 hours before lesson, not 1hr 15 like you have suggested, because you might find that you're frequently being delayed by those 45 minutes - I know I do, and I hadn't accounted for severe delays all the time when planning on living so far away.
(edited 8 years ago)
1 hour 20 :smile: train
I'm gonna be living in University accommodation which will take me about 20/30 minutes to get to campus walking. However if I was commuting it would take me about 2 hours by bus plus walking and I would need to take travel pills every day to travel.

Living near my campus is cheaper and easier.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Reply 6

It takes me an hour and 15 mins to and I take 3 buses to get to uni and back. It involved a lot of running especially when I have 1 minute to get from a stop and run down a main traffic road and make it to me stop! :biggrin: But on a good day with no traffic it's 45 mins or by car on the motor way it's actually only 15 mins away. Which is why I hope to start driving lessons again but living at home is saving me a lot of money.

Quick Reply

Latest