The Student Room Group

Dropping out of top university...

I am currently studying at a top university in central London. I started in Sept 2015 and from the start I have hated being in London. I didn't qualify for the full loan so I couldn't afford to live in central London so I commute for an hour and a half 4 days a week.

The course is OK, I'm not loving it but I can tolerate it. I have no idea what I want to do in the future so I feel that I need to stay at that uni. I didn't visit the uni before hand because I only really focused on league tables which I don't recommend. The uni is fine, I feel that it doesn't suit me, I cant join societies or sports clubs because it takes to long to commute to and from and i'll get home around 11pm or midnight.

I really like the look of Sussex or Exeter falmouth but I feel like I would be making the wrong decision to drop out. I finish at the end of March, do you think I should stick it out. I'm paying so much for literally 2 proper lectures a week, I don't know where my time goes because I just spend it all on trains.

I don't know what to do. The only thing keeping me there is the opportunity to study abroad next year, which I would want to do, but I kind of know I won't enjoy it because I'll have to return to London.

I don't know what to do :frown:
Hey dont worry, just draw yourself up a to do list.

You have 2 options.
1. Leave immediately, but you waste the year. Work out the financial implications.

2. Finish the year and seek a transfer. Again work out the financial implications as well as pros and cons.
Then do some research into which unis you could transfer to and will accept you as well as their requirements.

It may be that its the uni and commute thats wrong rather than uni per se..
Do you mean you finish your year at he end of March or just the term? If its he year then that would prompy me to stick it out as I could be looking at transferring a years credits. If its the term, then youd have to think about the expense of a further term to get the credits plus the general mehness of doing it.

My local uni in the north has a high satisfaction rates amongst students partly becayse they have access to a great social life, can live within walking distance and everything is cheap. Uni must be equally about a social life as much as studying. You should leave imo as all the commuting is making you unhappy, just when.

Do your research and the answer will probably become obvious to you which is the best option. Its a smart move to leave rather than do a further 2 years plus of soemthing that makes you unhappy. You might also get some benefit from talking to your tutor or deparment as they might throw some light in the possibility of transfer.
I have also been having doubts about my course but I have decided to drop out completely. I found that going to speak to my personal tutor and the student support team was really helpful. They can tell you what you need to think about and the repercussions of any decision that you make. The student support team were especially helpful as they were unbiased and just wanted to make sure that I was doing what was best for me. Dropping out of uni isnt as bad as it seems, I had reservations to begin with but i thought about it and decided it was the best decision for me. I'm not encouraging you to drop out, if you still want to study then transferring to another university might be the best option for you, studying at your current uni for another two years won't be beneficial to your health and well-being, you need to do what is best for you and moving to another uni could be the best decision of your life.
I hope this helps!

Sarah
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Hey dont worry, just draw yourself up a to do list.

You have 2 options.
1. Leave immediately, but you waste the year. Work out the financial implications.

2. Finish the year and seek a transfer. Again work out the financial implications as well as pros and cons.
Then do some research into which unis you could transfer to and will accept you as well as their requirements.

It may be that its the uni and commute thats wrong rather than uni per se..
Do you mean you finish your year at he end of March or just the term? If its he year then that would prompy me to stick it out as I could be looking at transferring a years credits. If its the term, then youd have to think about the expense of a further term to get the credits plus the general mehness of doing it.

My local uni in the north has a high satisfaction rates amongst students partly becayse they have access to a great social life, can live within walking distance and everything is cheap. Uni must be equally about a social life as much as studying. You should leave imo as all the commuting is making you unhappy, just when.

Do your research and the answer will probably become obvious to you which is the best option. Its a smart move to leave rather than do a further 2 years plus of soemthing that makes you unhappy. You might also get some benefit from talking to your tutor or deparment as they might throw some light in the possibility of transfer.

Thank you, I will write up a pro/cons list and see if that helps! :smile: I spoke to the head of department in September and he didn't really help me out at all, he said he couldn't give me advice only sign the forms to leave, which he did, I just didn't hand in.
Reply 4
Original post by sarahthom
I have also been having doubts about my course but I have decided to drop out completely. I found that going to speak to my personal tutor and the student support team was really helpful. They can tell you what you need to think about and the repercussions of any decision that you make. The student support team were especially helpful as they were unbiased and just wanted to make sure that I was doing what was best for me. Dropping out of uni isnt as bad as it seems, I had reservations to begin with but i thought about it and decided it was the best decision for me. I'm not encouraging you to drop out, if you still want to study then transferring to another university might be the best option for you, studying at your current uni for another two years won't be beneficial to your health and well-being, you need to do what is best for you and moving to another uni could be the best decision of your life.
I hope this helps!

Sarah

Thank you, I will see what universities allow for transfers in my course and see if that will help me out :smile: Thanks
Original post by lizlizliz
Thank you, I will write up a pro/cons list and see if that helps! :smile: I spoke to the head of department in September and he didn't really help me out at all, he said he couldn't give me advice only sign the forms to leave, which he did, I just didn't hand in.

Things become clearer once you do the research and know more facts. Its not a mistake to leave imo because you are unhappy. It is a lesson to do more research next time.

The question on leaving is not if, but at what stage in the year. i would point out you need to check with the uni fees department about your liability depending on when you left. i,e if you left sooner rather than later you might not have to pay the whole years fees. that would be wroth £.

When choosing your new uni go and vist for the day or weekend. Alternatively ask if you cna have a quick tour or use these forums to ask what each is like.
I noticed that you're thinking about the Exeter Penryn campus, I'm currently in my second year here so if you want to talk to someone just message me. What course are you currently on? Before doing anything, I would definitely work out the implications of the decision e.g. will you be liable for fees for the rest of the year, will student finance support you at another university etc.
I agree with the lots here. Drop out now or regret it later. If you don't love what you do then you should retreat for a while and find out what you really want. If you already have a backup plan then that is good. If you really want to study in a known uni then you really need to have financial backups. But since you said you are interested in studying abroad, maybe you can try inquiring to a uni abroad that you can actually pay for and maybe love? That is just me opinion though
Original post by lizlizliz
Thank you, I will see what universities allow for transfers in my course and see if that will help me out :smile: Thanks

ooops, you already got your answers lol, too late for me, i guess. But hey, they're right. Do research about the uni that you might be interested in. Maybe they offer a course you love or interested to. Weigh in the pros and cons. Be vigilant this time.
Original post by GemmaConlin
I noticed that you're thinking about the Exeter Penryn campus, I'm currently in my second year here so if you want to talk to someone just message me. What course are you currently on? Before doing anything, I would definitely work out the implications of the decision e.g. will you be liable for fees for the rest of the year, will student finance support you at another university etc.

Hey Gemma!

I'm interested in going to Exeter's Penryn campus and have been searching for a while for someone from there since I have a few questions. Could you possible answer those questions for me? I am traveling from America to visit this spring and would like to know a bit about it before going there.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest