The Student Room Group

I'm a uni dropout reapplying for 2016/17 - AMA

I don't know how unique this makes me, but I'm applying for the next academic year with a year of uni already under my belt. Anyone got any questions about uni life or anything else?
(edited 8 years ago)
Why did you drop out?
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Why did you drop out?

Losing interest in the course was a big factor, naturally. As it turned out, what I just assumed I would do wasn't actually what I wanted to do, if that makes sense. That in itself might have been fine, but there were also some bad circumstances in my personal life that had me down and out for months, so I simply wasn't prepared to stick with something I didn't like.

However, I will say that there was nothing about the uni lifestyle itself I disliked, and I'm eager to go back this year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DoctorSchmosby
I don't know how unique this makes me, but I'm applying for the next academic year with a year of uni already under my belt. Anyone got any questions about uni life or anything else?

How did you apply again, seen as the deadline has gone. Are you starting again from year 1 and do you have any advice for someone at a top uni and leaving for a lower uni. Thanks
x
What subject did you originally take and what subject have you applied for?
Original post by lizlizliz
How did you apply again, seen as the deadline has gone. Are you starting again from year 1 and do you have any advice for someone at a top uni and leaving for a lower uni. Thanks
x

It was too late to apply for 2015/16 by the time I'd dropped out, but I had no problems applying for 2016/17. I was actually one of those people that got my application in an hour before the deadline, lol. And yes, I'm starting from Year 1 on a different course.

If I get into my firm this year, I'll actually be at a uni that's higher up than my previous one, so I can't say I've been in the opposite situation. If it's your choice, great, be happy and pay no mind to anyone who might think you've gone down in the world. If it isn't your choice, try to stay optimistic and you'll surely discover things about the new uni that you like better than your old one. Either way, the experience of having been at uni before will be a great advantage to you, I'm sure.

Original post by EloiseStar
What subject did you originally take and what subject have you applied for?

Originally I was doing Psychology, since it was my favourite subject at sixth form and I thought that's how everyone decided their uni course. I've applied for Multimedia Journalism this time around, which is much better suited to my interests and skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi there! I'm considering dropping out of my current course and reapplying for next year (2016-17). Do you know if this is possible? Obviously you cannot go through the ucas route, but there may be other ways of applying i.e contacting uni directly. Just looking for advice from someone who is doing this/has done this. Thank! :smile:
Original post by DoctorSchmosby
I don't know how unique this makes me

Contrary to popular belief, a fair share of people do drop out (including you) of university as they find it's not for them or made a bad decision. Your advice for other students is very welcome though. :smile:
Original post by LucyR96
Hi there! I'm considering dropping out of my current course and reapplying for next year (2016-17). Do you know if this is possible? Obviously you cannot go through the ucas route, but there may be other ways of applying i.e contacting uni directly. Just looking for advice from someone who is doing this/has done this. Thank! :smile:

I didn't give much thought into applying for 2015/16, but if memory serves, you can still send UCAS applications until the end of June, and at the very least that will make you eligible for clearing.

Original post by Roving Fish
Contrary to popular belief, a fair share of people do drop out (including you) of university as they find it's not for them or made a bad decision. Your advice for other students is very welcome though. :smile:

Great, I'm happy to be of some use!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending