The Student Room Group

Do you use an e-reader for uni work?

Poll

Do you use an e-reader for uni work?

I love my kindle but I was always printing out journal articles and stuff at uni because I like being able to scribble on them and use a highlighter and whatnot.

But some people I know do use e-readers :yum: What about you?

Scroll to see replies

Always print out. My eyes are bad enough, can't be staring at a screen that long.
Original post by zetamcfc
Always print out. My eyes are bad enough, can't be staring at a screen that long.

Kindles have screens which are like looking at paper so your eyes don't get tired :beard:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Kindles have screens which are like looking at paper so your eyes don't get tired :beard:

I have one, and still for me it's nothing like paper :frown:...
Original post by zetamcfc
I have one, and still for me it's nothing like paper :frown:...

Is it one of the new ones? :beard:
I love my kindle but I was always printing out journal articles and stuff at uni because I like being able to scribble on them and use a highlighter and whatnot.

But some people I know do use e-readers :yum: What about you?

I tried reading journal articles on my kindle, but the PDFs always transferred in a really wonky way, so in the end it wasn't worth it. I do however use my tablet for journal articles, and I love it - with the Adobe app, I can highlight, make notes in the margins etc. It has saved me a lot of paper & printing, and I usually hate reading things on a screen - but somehow the tablet is fine.
Is it one of the new ones? :beard:

Not really had it a few years.
For journals no, I used to do way too much highlighting to use my kindle.

I did use my kindle for a few relevant books, but was very infrequent.
Kindles are actually better for my migraines than paper (because I can make the font the same size no matter what book I'm reading, and it seems less reflective than certain types of white paper) so I've been using my Kindle for pretty much all of my prep work (I'm not at uni yet but I've been doing a lot of reading for my subject). With journals, though, I think I too would need to print and scribble. The only thing I don't like about Kindles is that it's so hard to dip in and out of a book/paper or flick back and forth between pages the way I do with books.
I always prefer reading paper.
If I've got 10 chunky books to read for an essay it's easier to use an ereader. Weight aside, I can search up specific words and concepts easily without having to faff around with bookmarks and highlighters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just paper :redface: can't afford any fancy stuff! :hide:
Reply 12
I use books and e-readers, but nothing beats holding an actual book.
I do note taking and reading all on my ipad
I say no because I did a design course but I did find my kindle useful when traveling and needing to read up on stuff for my dissertation so I would definately recommend it for doing some revision while on the go.
No because I don't have an e-reader and have never used one.
I used my chromebook for pretty much everything though if that counts?
I use my kindle for all my fun time reading but for uni I prefer proper books/paper.
It means you can write notes over it and its much easier to flick back and forth between different pages and journals.
Also I find that e-readers are not very good when dealing with textbooks that have a lot of graphs or pictures in them, they just don't seem to handle the layout very well.
I reckon if someone could design an e-reader made specially for students and researchers they'd make good money :holmes: Designed specifically with note taking, referencing, highlights and reading graphs and images in mind.

....brb.
I reckon if someone could design an e-reader made specially for students and researchers they'd make good money :holmes: Designed specifically with note taking, referencing, highlights and reading graphs and images in mind.

....brb.

There's probs an app for that! :ninja:
Don't even own an ereader or iPad. I struggle to read on screens and I like being able to highlight and make notes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending