The Student Room Group

helpppp:(

Two identical solid spheres fit exactly inside a cuboid box. Find the percentage of the volume of the box which is occupied by the spheres. Give your answer to 1dp.
I've already figured out the formula for surface area of a sphere (4/3pie r^2) and I know the height would be 4r and the base 2r (diameter), although I'm unsure of what to do from here.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED:biggrin:
Original post by neharajput
Two identical solid spheres fit exactly inside a cuboid box. Find the percentage of the volume of the box which is occupied by the spheres. Give your answer to 1dp.
I've already figured out the formula for surface area of a sphere (4/3pie r^2) and I know the height would be 4r and the base 2r (diameter), although I'm unsure of what to do from here.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED:biggrin:

Aren't you supposed to work out the volume of each sphere rather than the surface area?
(And another thing I'd do would be to somehow relate measurements on the spheres to the width, length and height of the cuboid.)
Reply 2
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Aren't you supposed to work out the volume of each sphere rather than the surface area?
(And another thing I'd do would be to somehow relate measurements on the spheres to the width, length and height of the cuboid.)

I meant volume rather than surface area, sorry:smile: but from there I'm not sure what to do, as I have related the lengths of the cuboid in terms of the radius of the sphere. Could you guide me as to what to do after this?
The height would be 4 x radius (4r) and the base 2r (2 x radius)
I meant volume rather than surface area, sorry:smile: but from there I'm not sure what to do, as I have related the lengths of the cuboid in terms of the radius of the sphere. Could you guide me as to what to do after this?
The height would be 4 x radius (4r) and the base 2r (2 x radius)

Don't forget that since the sphere is a 3D shape, the width would also be 2r. Using these measurements you have for the cuboid, you should then have a value for the volume in terms of r.
Reply 4
Don't forget that since the sphere is a 3D shape, the width would also be 2r. Using these measurements you have for the cuboid, you should then have a value for the volume in terms of r.

So the volume of the cuboid would be 16r^3 because 2r x 4r x 2r
Then the volume of the two spheres would be 8/3 x pie^2 x r^4
I don't understand what's next, as r is an unknown value...
So the volume of the cuboid would be 16r^3 because 2r x 4r x 2r
Then the volume of the two spheres would be 8/3 x pie^2 x r^4
I don't understand what's next, as r is an unknown value...

Well, since finding the percentage is the same as dividing one value by another and then multiplying by 100, you could make a fraction from the volume for the two spheres and the volume of the cuboid.

Spoiler

Reply 6
Well, since finding the percentage is the same as dividing one value by another and then multiplying by 100, you could make a fraction from the volume for the two spheres and the volume of the cuboid.

Spoiler

No there wasn't any values stated, just that the radius is r...
Reply 7
If you think about it, however much you scale the box & spheres, the ratio of sphere volume to box volume is never going to change. Double it, you double both volumes, so the percentage is the same.

This means it's going to cancel out. The volume of the spheres will be some multiple of r cubed, and the volume of the spheres should be some multiple of r cubed. r cubed/r cubed = 1, so it's just the ratio of the multiples.

It's also exactly the same as one sphere in a box, as the two "sides" of the box are identical, so have the same ratio.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hanvyj
If you think about it, however much you scale the box & spheres, the ratio of sphere volume to box volume is never going to change. Double it, you double both volumes, so the percentage is the same.

This means it's going to cancel out. The volume of the spheres will be some multiple of r cubed, and the volume of the spheres should be some multiple of r cubed. r cubed/r cubed = 1, so it's just the ratio of the multiples.

It's also exactly the same as one sphere in a box, as the two "sides" of the box are identical, so have the same ratio.

But wouldn't the volume of the spheres together be r^4 because r^2 x r^2
But wouldn't the volume of the spheres together be r^4 because r^2 x r^2

Actually, it wouldn't be - you're adding the two volumes together to get the total volume of the spheres.
Reply 10
Actually, it wouldn't be - you're adding the two volumes together to get the total volume of the spheres.

Ohh, I just realised I have been writing the formula wrong the whole time:')
So would the equation be...
16r^3/ (8/3 x 2pie x 2r^2)?
Reply 11

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
1)volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi r^3, not r^2
2)you want the volume of the spheres as a percentage of the volume of the cuboid so you should be using the reciprocal of what you just wrote once you have corrected the sphere volume part of the formula.
Ohh, I just realised I have been writing the formula wrong the whole time:' )
So would the equation be...
16r^3/ (8/3 x 2pie x 2r^2)?

Here, I think you've multiplied the whole formula by 2 too many times - it should just be 8/3 pi r^3
Reply 14
Original post by spico

Spoiler

I worked it out and got 52.36%???
Reply 15
checked on a calculator, you're right with that answer, i screwed the arithmetic up. question wants 1dp though
Reply 16
Original post by spico
checked on a calculator, you're right with that answer, i screwed the arithmetic up. question wants 1dp though

yayy:smile:) THANKYOU SOOO MUCH really helped
Reply 17

I found the answer, but thankyouuuu soon muchhhh:smile:)
Has anyone got a final answer for this ?
Original post by noorbashar.khan
Has anyone got a final answer for this ?

I believe the answer should be 13.1%.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest