The Student Room Group

What's the best note taking technique?

I haven't got a technique,I just write everything down word by word. Therefore , i'm considering listening more, using abbreviations, and Cornell method & maybe mindmaps

Scroll to see replies

Look at what is emphasised by the speaker.
Reply 2
Original post by hxfsxh
Look at what is emphasised by the speaker.

I meant note taking techniques
Original post by Anonbabes
I meant note taking techniques

Oh, I just write down everything :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by hxfsxh
Oh, I just write down everything :tongue:

So do I, but that's not effective especially if you reflect back and have to revise or use notes for an assignment
Write down anything you know you won't remember. It's usually easier if you know what you need the notes for so you know what's important and what's not.
Reply 6
I haven't got a technique,I just write everything down word by word. Therefore , i'm considering listening more, using abbreviations, and Cornell method & maybe mindmaps

That's the problem. You should try note-making rather than note-taking.

Note-taking is when you copy notes word for word. This is not bad, but should only be the first step.

Note-making is when you re-write these notes, or put them in a different format, such as a mindmap.

You have to pick something that works for you. But it has to be in your own words, and read regularly. Sometimes , writing your own questions (about stuff you don't understand) and researching the answers can help a lot.

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Kyx
That's the problem. You should try note-making rather than note-taking.

Note-taking is when you copy notes word for word. This is not bad, but should only be the first step.

Note-making is when you re-write these notes, or put them in a different format, such as a mindmap.

You have to pick something that works for you. But it has to be in your own words, and read regularly. Sometimes , writing your own questions (about stuff you don't understand) and researching the answers can help a lot.

:smile:

Oops didn't know what I meant is note making lol. What technique do u use?
Scribble furiously when you think the lecturer is saying something relevant and pray that you'll be able to read your own writing next time you look at it, which tends to be the day before the exam. It is a technique that has served me well.
Reply 9
Oops didn't know what I meant is note making lol. What technique do u use?

I just rewrite the whole textbook in my own words :redface:
Reply 10
Original post by Quantex
Scribble furiously when you think the lecturer is saying something relevant and pray that you'll be able to read your own writing next time you look at it, which tends to be the day before the exam. It is a technique that has served me well.

Do u think it's a joke?
Reply 11
Original post by Kyx
I just rewrite the whole textbook in my own words :redface:

Oh ok:/ Do you use 1 notebook or separate notebooks?
Reply 12
Oh ok:/ Do you use 1 notebook or separate notebooks?

I don't use notebooks, I just use lined paper :redface:

Sometimes I rewrite the same textbook several times :redface:

Listen then write down anything important with concise notes. :wink:

Just make sure when you re-read it over it's all organised & you can understand the main points.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do u think it's a joke?

Not at all,although I was being a bit flippant. Sometimes I think it is far better to stop worrying and learn to love what you consider to be a bit of a chaotic and shambolic approach to things rather than getting anxious over the optimum method.
Reply 15
Original post by Kyx
I don't use notebooks, I just use lined paper :redface:

Hmm

Sometimes I rewrite the same textbook several times :redface:

Rewriting is time consuming , but beneficial

Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Listen then write down anything important with concise notes. :wink:

Just make sure when you re-read it over it's all organised & you can understand the main points.

This sounds bad, but I tend to forget what the teacher said

Original post by Quantex
Not at all,although I was being a bit flippant. Sometimes I think it is far better to stop worrying and learn to love what you consider to be a bit of a chaotic and shambolic approach to things rather than getting anxious over the optimum method.

Lol. Don't agree
Reply 16
Rewriting can be fun :redface:
I do rough notes where i write everything i hear (just about), then either straight after/on the same day or at some point during the week ill type it up so its neat and add anything extra from textbook, i guess its not the best technique - its whichever one your best at doing, and can remember the most from
Rewriting is time consuming , but beneficial

This sounds bad, but I tend to forget what the teacher said

Lol. Don't agree

In one ear, out the other?
At History GCSE, we were told to abreviate some words. So, Ger. was Germany, GB was Great Britain, Fra. was France, etc.

You don't need to write absolutely everything down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending