The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Someone please help :(

Hi,

I had applied to both the Medway and Canterbury campus of CCCU to study adult nursing. I receive unconditional offers for both of these and firmed the Medway campus for ease of commute and cheaper parking ect. I also like how modern the buildings are at Medway. However, as time goes on im starting to regret my choice :frown: both campuses will be a 30 minute drive from my house when my family move and although it is more difficult / expensive to park in Canterbury and the traffic may be heavier I feel as though this is a better place in general. I love the location of Canterbury and how much it has to offer. I have also been considering staying in halls for first year for the whole experience of uni and I don't think i would like to live in Medway :frown: I'm really unsure whether I have made the right decision and I have done a pros and cons list for each campus but they really are pretty much at par. I think the main thing about Medway is I don't think I will get the whole student experience as it isn't really a student area and also I am not keen of the towns round there having been there yesterday to have a look around.

Question is should I ask CCCU whether it's possible to change my choice of campus or should I just put up and shut up as I've made my decision? I mean I could always just skip the living on campus year and commute all 3 and save money? I just don't know whether or not I need the whole experience or whether I should just stick with Medway??? If I ask anyway and I can't change that's the end of it but I want to know it's definitely what I want before I ask in case they can. I'm starting in April this year btw!

Any thoughts / opinions would be appreciated as my mum is refusing to help me make up my mind!
Original post by EmilyC0202
Hi,

I had applied to both the Medway and Canterbury campus of CCCU to study adult nursing. I receive unconditional offers for both of these and firmed the Medway campus for ease of commute and cheaper parking ect. I also like how modern the buildings are at Medway. However, as time goes on im starting to regret my choice :frown: both campuses will be a 30 minute drive from my house when my family move and although it is more difficult / expensive to park in Canterbury and the traffic may be heavier I feel as though this is a better place in general. I love the location of Canterbury and how much it has to offer. I have also been considering staying in halls for first year for the whole experience of uni and I don't think i would like to live in Medway :frown: I'm really unsure whether I have made the right decision and I have done a pros and cons list for each campus but they really are pretty much at par. I think the main thing about Medway is I don't think I will get the whole student experience as it isn't really a student area and also I am not keen of the towns round there having been there yesterday to have a look around.

Question is should I ask CCCU whether it's possible to change my choice of campus or should I just put up and shut up as I've made my decision? I mean I could always just skip the living on campus year and commute all 3 and save money? I just don't know whether or not I need the whole experience or whether I should just stick with Medway??? If I ask anyway and I can't change that's the end of it but I want to know it's definitely what I want before I ask in case they can. I'm starting in April this year btw!

Any thoughts / opinions would be appreciated as my mum is refusing to help me make up my mind!

Canterbury is definitely more livelier, but there are easy connects between the Canterbury and Medway campus (a free shuttle) and many of the events and social activities are attended by both Canterbury and Medway students so you won't be missing out on social and nightlife.
The Medway campus is a lot smaller but easier to get around. The accommodation is also great too, very comfortable and spacious and are all ensuite rooms. It's pretty expensive but Canterbury halls of residence is even more expensive.
The Medway campus is home to Kent, CCCU and Greenwich students so you're bound to meet a variety of people.
Local towns in Medway are chatham and gillingham, which are both normal town centres for local shopping, although Chatham is bigger and has more variety id say. Bluewater is amazing though, it's basically a Westfield and is only a 20 minute drive from Medway. There's also Dockside outlet centre about a 10 minute drive from the Medway accommodation that has retail stores, restaurants and an odeon cinema.
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
Canterbury is definitely more livelier, but there are easy connects between the Canterbury and Medway campus (a free shuttle) and many of the events and social activities are attended by both Canterbury and Medway students so you won't be missing out on social and nightlife.
The Medway campus is a lot smaller but easier to get around. The accommodation is also great too, very comfortable and spacious and are all ensuite rooms. It's pretty expensive but Canterbury halls of residence is even more expensive.
The Medway campus is home to Kent, CCCU and Greenwich students so you're bound to meet a variety of people.
Local towns in Medway are chatham and gillingham, which are both normal town centres for local shopping, although Chatham is bigger and has more variety id say. Bluewater is amazing though, it's basically a Westfield and is only a 20 minute drive from Medway. There's also Dockside outlet centre about a 10 minute drive from the Medway accommodation that has retail stores, restaurants and an odeon cinema.

Thanks for all the information & easing my mind a bit :smile: so you can get the shuttle to and from a night out in Canterbury back to the accomodation in Medway? Would you recommend I live in halls for first year or shall I just commute?
Thanks for all the information & easing my mind a bit :smile: so you can get the shuttle to and from a night out in Canterbury back to the accomodation in Medway? Would you recommend I live in halls for first year or shall I just commute?

Oh no, I think the shuttle is actually only for the uni of Kent students, sorry.
This won't affect you attending events at Canterbury though because its a free return coach that'll take you. The price is included with the ticket.
I don't get the shuttle to attend events, I just get it when I'm too lazy to walk from Medway campus to Medway accommodation. :tongue: It does go to Canterbury though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh no, I think the shuttle is actually only for the uni of Kent students, sorry.
This won't affect you attending events at Canterbury though because its a free return coach that'll take you. The price is included with the ticket.
I don't get the shuttle to attend events, I just get it when I'm too lazy to walk from Medway campus to Medway accommodation. :tongue:

Are you a Kent student at Medway then? Haha sounds like something I would do it is like a 20 minute walk right :biggrin: glad I've actually found someone that goes to the Medway campus!
Are you a Kent student at Medway then? Haha sounds like something I would do it is like a 20 minute walk right :biggrin: glad I've actually found someone that goes to the Medway campus!

Yeah I'm a Kent student :smile: the walk between campus and accommodation is about 15-20 minutes yeah, sometimes I just can't be bothered lol, but we've been told not to do that because the shuttle is meant for people going to Canterbury but oh well lol.
& yeah if you live close, I wouldn't recommend you living in halls. The rooms are really nice and much better than usual student accommodation but you'd have to ask yourself if it's worth you forking out £5k.
Reply 6
Yeah I'm a Kent student :smile: the walk between campus and accommodation is about 15-20 minutes yeah, sometimes I just can't be bothered lol, but we've been told not to do that because the shuttle is meant for people going to Canterbury but oh well lol.
& yeah if you live close, I wouldn't recommend you living in halls. The rooms are really nice and much better than usual student accommodation but you'd have to ask yourself if it's worth you forking out £5k.

Haha they will never know :wink: well it is about a 30 minute drive in no traffic so is manageable but I kind of wanted the experience of living away from home lol. Also my family are set to move just before I start the course and I currently live over an hour away so may be risky if the sale falls through or something :s-smilie: I did look around the accomodation at the open day and loved it! What's it like living in LQ? Do you get along with all your flat mates? Do you go to any of the local student nights or anything? :smile: my bursary would cover the cost of the accomodation so it would just be living costs I'd have to put into consideration!
Haha they will never know :wink: well it is about a 30 minute drive in no traffic so is manageable but I kind of wanted the experience of living away from home lol. Also my family are set to move just before I start the course and I currently live over an hour away so may be risky if the sale falls through or something :s-smilie: I did look around the accomodation at the open day and loved it! What's it like living in LQ? Do you get along with all your flat mates? Do you go to any of the local student nights or anything? :smile: my bursary would cover the cost of the accomodation so it would just be living costs I'd have to put into consideration!

Lol yeah exactly, I'll get on that shuttle whenever I'm tired of walking.
Yeah that's fair, in that case, you might be better of going for accommodation. Liberty is great, I really like my room, very spacious and it's great having my own space because when I was living at home, I had like no privacy so I'm much happier now. Everything is easy to get to when you're living in Liberty, there's a tesco/dominoes/subway and cargo which is a student bar/restaurant. There's also a massive asda about a 5 minute walk away. theres laundry facilities, student common room, a post service at the reception and they're always giving away freebies. On pancake day, they were giving away free pancakes. wifi and Internet is free too.
I get along with my flatmates yeah but we're not super close or anything. Im living in phase two next year in a block with some girls I met on my course so that should be good!
I go to some students nights. There's a nightclub called bliss about a 10 minute walk, they often have events going on there that everyone goes to. students from Canterbury and Leicester were there! It was so packed. There's source bar in Maidstone which is a personal favourite of mine. It's £10 for a return coach and 5 free drinks. The journey is fun too because everyone's pre drinking before we get to the club. It's about a 45 minute drive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Lol yeah exactly, I'll get on that shuttle whenever I'm tired of walking.
Yeah that's fair, in that case, you might be better of going for accommodation. Liberty is great, I really like my room, very spacious and it's great having my own space because when I was living at home, I had like no privacy so I'm much happier now. Everything is easy to get to when you're living in Liberty, there's a tesco/dominoes/subway and cargo which is a student bar/restaurant. theres laundry facilities, student common room, a post service at the reception and they're always giving away freebies. On pancake day, they were giving away free pancakes. wifi and Internet is free too.
I get along with my flatmates yeah but we're not super close or anything. Im living in phase two next year in a block with some girls I met on my course so that should be good!
I go to some students nights. There's a nightclub called bliss about a 10 minute walk, they often have events going on there that everyone goes to. students from Canterbury and Leicester were there! It was so packed. There's source bar in Maidstone which is a personal favourite of mine. It's £10 for a return coach and 5 free drinks. The journey is fun too because everyone's pre drinking before we get to the club. It's about a 45 minute drive.

You have literally made me so excited to start now before I was so worried I wasn't going to enjoy my time but sounds like I will! That is so good the return coach and drinks for £10! I had read other posts that there weren't much to do in Medway but obviously things have changed :smile: thanks so much for helping me make up my mind! One more question lol, about the accomodation - I assume they split it by the 3 different universities? Like is there a floor which is all Kent and one which is all Christ church for example? Like do you see / talk to the students from the other uni's or is it all very seperate? Just wondering whether there's any negativity or anything between the different university's?
You have literally made me so excited to start now before I was so worried I wasn't going to enjoy my time but sounds like I will! That is so good the return coach and drinks for £10! I had read other posts that there weren't much to do in Medway but obviously things have changed :smile: thanks so much for helping me make up my mind! One more question lol, about the accomodation - I assume they split it by the 3 different universities? Like is there a floor which is all Kent and one which is all Christ church for example? Like do you see / talk to the students from the other uni's or is it all very seperate? Just wondering whether there's any negativity or anything between the different university's?

Aw I'm glad:smile: yeah I saw the bad reviews about Medway before I started but a lot of it was hearsay. People would always say 'I heard it was this, I heard it was that' and I really just wanted someone who actually goes to tell me how it is, so I know how it feels & that's why I responded to you.
I'm unsure if there are separate floors for different students. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure all of my flatmates are Kent students so it's possible that it's separate or that might just be a coincidence. I know that there's on campus accommodation for Greenwich students so I don't think many will be living in Liberty.
There's definitely no rivalry or anything so you won't have to worry about that. I see students from the other universities all the time yeah. We all share a library, it's a massive library so I'm always bumping into students from other unis. I don't have any classes or anything with them obviously lol but I see them on campus yeah, there's no divide:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Aw I'm glad:smile: yeah I saw the bad reviews about Medway before I started but a lot of it was hearsay. People would always say 'I heard it was this, I heard it was that' and I really just wanted someone who actually goes to tell me how it is, so I know how it feels & that's why I responded to you.
I'm unsure if there are separate floors for different students. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure all of my flatmates are Kent students so it's possible that it's separate or that might just be a coincidence. I know that there's on campus accommodation for Greenwich students so I don't think many will be living in Liberty.
There's definitely no rivalry or anything so you won't have to worry about that. I see students from the other universities all the time yeah. We all share a library, it's a massive library so I'm always bumping into students from other unis. I don't have any classes or anything with them obviously lol but I see them on campus yeah, there's no divide:smile:

Yeah there is a lot of negative posts and comments about Medway and that's why I was panicking glad I've heard the other side! Oh right i didn't know they had on site so I guess LQ is mainly Kent and Canterbury then :smile:

Glad to hear there's no rivalry or anything as well, can't believe I was getting put off of going there for no reason!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending