Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by stargaryen
Awaiting BOGS!!!

Any updates on your end?
Original post by taleino
Any updates on your end?

Still awaiting BOGS.

Does anyone know if any offers have been made yet?
Thanks. I have asked for an extension on my Oxford offer deadline.

I am still 'under consideration of the department'.
I got an offer!! woooo :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tedward

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!
Reply 45
Original post by Tedward

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!! Did they email you with the offer? When did it change for you?
Original post by major_lift
Well done!

Thanks!

Original post by taleino
Congratulations!! Did they email you with the offer? When did it change for you?

Thanks also! I haven't received the email yet, but it changed on the self-service at around 12 today. People on here have said the email can take a while to arrive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Tedward

Thanks also! I haven't received the email yet, but it changed on the self-service at around 12 today. People on here have said the email can take a while to arrive.

Cool, thanks for letting us know! Hopefully, mine updates soon. Maybe it was too early to celebrate.

Has anyone else heard back?
Congratulations, Tedward!

Original post by taleino
Cool, thanks for letting us know! Hopefully, mine updates soon. Maybe it was too early to celebrate.

Still waiting/refreshing Camsis like a crazy person. Hoping for an update today or tomorrow.
Hello, and congratulations. From what I've heard once it's past the department stage you're pretty set, but don't take my word for it.
If I do get in, I look forwards to joining you on a year of insanely hard work.

My application is still under consideration by department, which is suddenly a lot more stressful now that it appears offers are going out! (Early October submission)
Did you opt for the applied or pure application? I wonder if the applications are ahead on one side of the department. (I wouldn't put it past the applied people to be more organised than the pure :P) The more likely answer however is that you are strong applicants. Well done again.
Reply 50
Original post by Geometry_Joe
Hello, and congratulations. From what I've heard once it's past the department stage you're pretty set, but don't take my word for it.
If I do get in, I look forwards to joining you on a year of insanely hard work.

My application is still under consideration by department, which is suddenly a lot more stressful now that it appears offers are going out! (Early October submission)
Did you opt for the applied or pure application? I wonder if the applications are ahead on one side of the department. (I wouldn't put it past the applied people to be more organised than the pure :P) The more likely answer however is that you are strong applicants. Well done again.

Hello Joe! I too applied in early October! I think October 14th and it's been a grueling couple of months but I'm happy to be on the other side. I'm sure that you will hear back soon as well!!

I really like the theoretical physics that is ongoing in DAMTP, and would like to work with people there on theory primarily. But for such an endeavor, I know that I need both applied and pure. I applied to the applied side, however I am looking forward to taking many pure courses as well.

I will be preparing to study these topics over summer to make sure that I do not fall behind.
Original post by taleino

I'm sure you'll get it, just a matter of time at this stage! Btw it seems we have very similar interests. I'm planning on taking primarily theoretical physics, with a tad of pure options. What areas in particular are you interested in?

Congratulations, Tedward!

Still waiting/refreshing Camsis like a crazy person. Hoping for an update today or tomorrow.

Thanks a lot! I know the wait is so tough, really hope you guys hear as soon as possible! Hang in there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Tedward
I'm sure you'll get it, just a matter of time at this stage! Btw it seems we have very similar interests. I'm planning on taking primarily theoretical physics, with a tad of pure options. What areas in particular are you interested in?

I'm really interested in quantum gravity, black holes, and the intersection of quantum mechanics and general relativity. My background is in applied mathematics and theoretical physics, I did some AdS/CFT stuff as an undergrad and I'm working a bit on black holes currently with my advisor.

I've realized that I lack the mathematical chops to do the really tough stuff in quantum gravity, which is why I fell in love with Cambridge and their courses in part iii. What about you Tedward? What are your research interests?
Conditional offer made!!I I'm so excited.

Woo! Congrats! See you next year :smile:

Original post by taleino
I'm really interested in quantum gravity, black holes, and the intersection of quantum mechanics and general relativity. My background is in applied mathematics and theoretical physics, I did some AdS/CFT stuff as an undergrad and I'm working a bit on black holes currently with my advisor.

I've realized that I lack the mathematical chops to do the really tough stuff in quantum gravity, which is why I fell in love with Cambridge and their courses in part iii. What about you Tedward? What are your research interests?

Wow that's really cool! I actually did a summer project on vertex operator algebras which I believe are very important to CFT & strings, and probably AdS/CFT too. I only covered bits of the maths as the physics was impenetrable, hopefully less so after part 3!
I'm not entirely sure where my main interests lie, although I'm interested in areas where quantum gravity and pure maths interact. You might have heard of monstrous/umbral moonshine? (If not, you might like this, its an amazing article on the subject: https://www.quantamagazine.org/20150312-mathematicians-chase-moonshines-shadow/). But there are so many directions I'm struggling to choose!
That's really rather cool.
Reply 56

Awesome! Congratulations Stargaryen!
Reply 57
CONDITIONAL OFFER MADE! Let's go to Cambridge!
Original post by taleino
CONDITIONAL OFFER MADE! Let's go to Cambridge!

Congrats! Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Any updates guys? Any new emails? Or how about college membership?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending