The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
I was quite pleased to find out I was at least in the top 50% of applicants too! So well done to everyone who did the video interviews we're obviously not that bad haha.

I totally agree with the re-recording thing. It is hard not to seem too rehearsed. By the time I did questions 2 and 3 it was dark and I had a light on so it's really noticeable that I took my time. On the flip side though it really gives you time to think about what you actually want to say. I did a similar one where you can't re-record and it was horrendous.

In response to C though I have to disagree - I think it's good that they test your knowledge of what councils do and so on, as that will be pretty useful info when you start the placement. In terms of showing leadership I think it's fine to acknowledge that there are limits to this and what they are looking for is ideas of how to overcome the obvious barriers in these scenarios. I said something along the lines of not being intimidated by people with more experience who you don't know very well and being able to assert yourself when you need to. (I realise some people are yet to do it so there's some free help for you!) - saying all of that, we haven't heard back yet so maybe I was way off and that's not what they want to hear.

Anyway at least it's done now so good luck :smile:

I kind of thought the second and third weren't actually that much to do with local councils, they were asked in context to them, but they were actually pretty generic....maybe.....oh god, I don't know!!!!!
Think I might be being cynical, but I'm a bit dubious about the whole less than half got to video interview. Those videos must have been filmed a while ago as they still thought the results would be out by mid February, whereas now they say 29th February. I can't help but wonder if they thought the tests would be more successful at sifting, but as these tests were so ridiculous I think maybe they couldn't use them as clearly in previous years, so have let more people through. Judging by this thread very few people didn't seem to pass and they were really really hard!!!!

Obviously this is complete speculation and I'm sure the information is probably right, but just have that niggling feeling - not that it makes any difference either way now!!
Original post by Nightwing_
I kind of thought the second and third weren't actually that much to do with local councils, they were asked in context to them, but they were actually pretty generic....maybe.....oh god, I don't know!!!!!

Yeah, agreed. Tbh I thought the questions were way more generic than everyone was making out! When someone said they were totally specific to councils I was a bit stumped as to what they would be asking... I think you could basically turn the questions round into fairly common interview answers to present your strengths with a bit of an edge towards what you felt they were after. But yeah, it was a bit of an odd experience! I would also agree with the above about question 3, I definitely think there are ways to show leadership in a short space of time!
Think I might be being cynical, but I'm a bit dubious about the whole less than half got to video interview. Those videos must have been filmed a while ago as they still thought the results would be out by mid February, whereas now they say 29th February. I can't help but wonder if they thought the tests would be more successful at sifting, but as these tests were so ridiculous I think maybe they couldn't use them as clearly in previous years, so have let more people through. Judging by this thread very few people didn't seem to pass and they were really really hard!!!!

Obviously this is complete speculation and I'm sure the information is probably right, but just have that niggling feeling - not that it makes any difference either way now!!

Haha yeah, would be inclined to agree with you on that as well, also noticed the "mid Feb" thing. Although they cant have let waaaay more than half through as that would be tough logistically and they must have a cut off at some point even if it's harsh on the bottom 50%, given the tests were pretty ridiculous. Could be that there's a bit of a biased sample of us on TSR too maybe...

I would say it wasn't that the tests were that hard, but just that it was hard to even get through 50 percent of the questions! I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of the answers we all gave were correct whereas I imagine a lot of people will have panicked and started losing track of the info and guessing all of them when they realised they weren't gonna have anywhere near enough time. Who knows!? haha
Original post by paddy25
Haha yeah, would be inclined to agree with you on that as well, also noticed the "mid Feb" thing. Although they cant have let waaaay more than half through as that would be tough logistically and they must have a cut off at some point even if it's harsh on the bottom 50%, given the tests were pretty ridiculous. Could be that there's a bit of a biased sample of us on TSR too maybe...

I would say it wasn't that the tests were that hard, but just that it was hard to even get through 50 percent of the questions! I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of the answers we all gave were correct whereas I imagine a lot of people will have panicked and started losing track of the info and guessing all of them when they realised they weren't gonna have anywhere near enough time. Who knows!? haha

Yeah you could well be right. Also I guess people are probably more likely to write on if they have passed. Either way less than half, more than half, still hope my replies are good enough - still think the whole thing was a bit contrived and weird :biggrin:
Reply 145

Oh no don't worry, I agree! I guess you didn't need to know loads of specific info although there was scope to add it in if you wanted to. I think you could still give a very decent answer that doesn't necessarily have loads of facts and figures thrown in.

Plus some of the criteria will be things like likeability, professionalism and confidence etc.

All this speculation is driving me crazy haha :biggrin:
Well I guess that's it, everyone must have done them by now! Just got to play the waiting game now :s-smilie:
Reply 147
What's everyone's degrees in, out of interest?
What's everyone's degrees in, out of interest?

My degree was in Biology, so....yeah.....really related to local government :tongue:. I'm kind of assuming this won't be an issue though!
My degree was in Biology, so....yeah.....really related to local government :tongue:. I'm kind of assuming this won't be an issue though!

Biology is related to everything :biggrin:Law over here, then human rights masters... :erm:
Reply 150

Mine was Hispanic Studies! Kind of jealous of the guy with Law / Human Rights, that sounds impressive, eek
I have Law too. No Human Rights masters here though. Northumbria's Law/LPC hybrid.
Did everyone else dress up? I put my shirt and tie on 11 at night. I was going to put on the suit but thought that overdoing it...
Original post by PoliticsGrad4044
Did everyone else dress up? I put my shirt and tie on 11 at night. I was going to put on the suit but thought that overdoing it...

I put a shirt on, no tie. And pyjama bottoms haha :biggrin:
Original post by PoliticsGrad4044

I just put on a neutral coloured top, nothing fancy. I wanted to put on my blazer, but then realized all of my business clothing stuff is about 1000 km from here in a box in my boyfriends room :biggrin: so i just put on something normal. if they turn me down for my choice in clothing, so be it :L

Also, I did a BSc in International Development and now finishing up my MSc in Social Policy and Social Interventions (just started my thesis today!).
Reply 155
Original post by paddy25

Original post by Marwin123
I just put on a neutral coloured top, nothing fancy. I wanted to put on my blazer, but then realized all of my business clothing stuff is about 1000 km from here in a box in my boyfriends room :biggrin: so i just put on something normal. if they turn me down for my choice in clothing, so be it :L

Also, I did a BSc in International Development and now finishing up my MSc in Social Policy and Social Interventions (just started my thesis today!).

I put on quite a business looking dress! Long sleeves with dogtooth pattern. Hey how are you finding Social Policy and Social Interventions? I'm considering doing a Master's especially if I don't get on a graduate scheme, but even if I do maybe I'll do a Master's in a few years. I'm really interested in Policy and Social Research at Aston uni. My degree was Hispanic Studies though, so cultural rather than social science.... would I struggle?

Edit - that said, the one I mentioned is an MA rather than an MSc..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 156
Original post by paddy25

Love that. I had a Skype interview recently (turned the role down) and I had a blouse and blazer on top, joggers on the bottom haha.

I have a friend though who had a Skype interview and wore his boxers. At one point they asked him to go and get an object that meant something to him and explain it. awks.
Love that. I had a Skype interview recently (turned the role down) and I had a blouse and blazer on top, joggers on the bottom haha.

I have a friend though who had a Skype interview and wore his boxers. At one point they asked him to go and get an object that meant something to him and explain it. awks.

Business up top, party down below :tongue:

Hahaha, that company has a sense of humour, I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to catch people out (if you know what I mean) :wink: with that one!

I'm trying to think what I would go and get in that situation...preferably something in reach of my chair hahah
Just had a thought - right now, that some poor soul(s) are probably sat there going through all our recorded answers, probably rolling their eyes at all the bs and answers that all sound the same as each others :tongue:!! I couldn't stand listening to one of my videos - imagine listening to 100s of them!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending