The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyuipdoe
I would like to do the bar in either California or New York as they are the only states to accept foreign law degrees. I hope to do an MA before that also so I also worry about this problem with Notts. However the campus and standard of teaching look fantastic so I am really torn at the moment

I agree with you.
Original post by Cholesta
Go on to the firms website. Then go to people and you will find all the people who work for the firm across the world. If you look at qualifications and education you will see the uni they attended.

This doesn't mean they actively prefer people from that Uni. There are plenty of posts above that have discussed this issue at length - please read them.

One thing that you will learn at Uni is the big difference between correlation and causation.
Original post by returnmigrant
This doesn't mean they actively prefer people from that Uni. There are plenty of posts above that have discussed this issue at length - please read them.

One thing that you will learn at Uni is the big difference between correlation and
Sorry I can't agree on that one.
Okay I have offers from Durham, Bristol, QMUL and Edinburgh... Where do I go?
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Okay I have offers from Durham, Bristol, QMUL and Edinburgh... Where do I go?

The Uni where you will feel most comfortable, and the course that interests you the most.

Forget all the silly stuff about rankings and 'who employs who' - if you aren't happy at Uni and enjoying what you are studying then it'll be a very miserable 3 or 4 years, and with that sort of experience the chances of a First are practically zero.
Original post by JohnGreek
You'll see that, in the past (10-15 years ago), Bristol used to be a lot better than what it currently is (it ranked third or fourth, after Oxbridge). I imagine that that may account both for the large number of Bristol graduates at top firms, as well as the solid reputation it holds in the eyes of these people.

THIS is an example of why rankings etc are total bunkum - and why those who rely on them to pick their Uni really are being very naive.
Original post by dfradkin
Are you domestic or international?

Uk applicant:smile:
Original post by chloetraynor
Congratulations, and thanks! You must've had a really strong application otherwise? What AS grades did you get?

As: AAAB
GCSE: 9a* 2a :smile:
Original post by PandyyCD97
Congratulations on your offers! I've also got an offer from Southampton and Warwick :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats :smile: WW is where i realllyyy want to go, what did they ask for if i may ask? :smile:
You'll see that, in the past (10-15 years ago), Bristol used to be a lot better than what it currently is (it ranked third or fourth, after Oxbridge). I imagine that that may account both for the large number of Bristol graduates at top firms, as well as the solid reputation it holds in the eyes of these people.

And what makes you think it's not good now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Always rushing to defend the pride of your uni...

My point was that it was better relative to what it is now. That's a relative measure.

Wow there tiger, I simply asked lol. You said "much better" which got me wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by returnmigrant

One thing that you will learn at Uni is the big difference between correlation and causation.

I like how you're all "please read!" when you obviously haven't followed it's not her doing the application but her son. Well played, etc.

It's also not correlatively flawed to assert that there's an old-boys network running in these law firms. One of the reasons there's an ongoing issue moving up into the judiciary, too, and why there are so many conversations, studies, acts of parliament etc., about how to diversify it. Something pretty obvious to anyone who'll have read about it. Rather ironically.
Original post by jonstran
I like how you're all "please read!" when you obviously haven't followed it's not her doing the application but her son. Well played, etc.

It's also not correlatively flawed to assert that there's an old-boys network running in these law firms. One of the reasons there's an ongoing issue moving up into the judiciary, too, and why there are so many conversations, studies, acts of parliament etc., about how to diversify it. Something pretty obvious to anyone who'll have read about it. Rather ironically.

There will always be that old-boys network. Of course Bristol alumni or any other uni alumni for that matter will probably pick their own. Having said that, they would still need to be good.
Original post by elise1998
You realise Bristol is only one place below King's in the law rankings, and in the overall rankings Bristol is way ahead of King's?

It's not the rankings I said, it's the unquantifiable perception of King's. Something about it just stands out. Maybe you're right though. You know if adjustment is possible?
Reply 2494
Original post by legalmind
I also applied to QMUL, Manchester, Leeds, and Newcastle.

In your opinion which one among may choices is the best for law? I would like to hear an opinion from someone living in UK. Thanks.

I am studying Law at Manchester in September so you will probably see me as biased. First off, all of your choices are Russell Group unis, well done on that as its important to go to one if you can for Law as its such a competitive profession. I was up at Manchester Uni 3 weeks ago on a visit day and am going to the Law applicant day in March. I was very impressed and the Law school is well regarded despite the league tables saying otherwise about Manchester. Manchester is very well looked at internationally (56th and 33rd in two top 100 world ranking tables). For international rep Manchester is on top of all the others. The Law society there looks great, with regular socials and networking events, its sponsored by major city law firms (including some magic circle). They even have 2 legal advice centres run by the students which is sponsored by big law firms. All the MC (Magic Circle) law firms and big city firms visit their law fair and their graduates do well on getting big firm training contracts. That was partially what made me pick them and I loved the city and campus. QMUL is hard to get into (A*AA) but is very well respected. Leeds and Newcastle are also very good for Law. Going to any of them would not be to your disadvantage, but If I was to pick 2 I would go for QMUL and Manchester. Pick which is best for you though!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2495
Original post by ARoxanne
It's very difficult deciding what the reputation of BPP actually is. Being a private university its exempt from all the league tables, and thus the statistics are hard to obtain. In regards to future employers I read an article a while back in which many London based law firms spoke out about the relationship they have with the BPP University, and one of the founders had studied there himself so I don't think it will be looked down upon at all, if anything it will open up more opportunities. Oh, and the lowered fee helps also! :biggrin:

I completely understand why you would pick BPP for costs etc and the supposed practical nature of the course. However, this so called practical edge can compromise on the academic rigour of an LLB. I know this because I know people doing the ULaw (University of Law) LLB and it is found to be very spoon-fed and all set out for you. ULaw is BPP's rival and also a private university, but both LLBs are trying to give you a practical edge. Spoon-fed may work for some but with the reputation of BPP for LLB already very debatable it does not help. Also it is very easy to get into both for LLB, ULaw was ABB and people with BBC and CCD got in...that does not help the reputation of the school. When they went to ULaw's law fair all the GDL and LPC students got on well with the firms but the firms looked down at the LLB students because it is not very respected at ULaw and the GDL/LPC students will have gone to good universities. They were not even big firms so imagine what a large firms image of them would be. BPPs requirements for LLB is lower than ULaw. Grades are important for Law as it is very competitive and many firms have a strict filter of AAB at A level but some do accept BBB.

Granted BPP does have a good relationship with law firms, there is no doubt about that BUT, it is for their GDL/ LPC. All the major law firms including the magic circle send their future trainees to BPP. Yet these future trainees will most likely have gone to solid and reputable unis e.g Russell Group and Oxbridge. I understand it is hard with BPP because they are private and do not feature in a league table. My advice is if BPP is for you go for it for the reasons you said, but if you can get AAB/ABB or above do yourself a huge favour and go to a Russell Group uni. It is all down to preference so BPP may be for you but do consider your career prospects if you wish to go into the profession as a BPP LLB may hinder your chances if you found you wanted to work for a large commercial law firm. I myself picked to go to Manchester (Russell Group) for exactly that reason, I wanted to work for a good firm but needed to go to a reputable university.

I am sorry if this comes across negative but I could not help but just say how it is in the profession so you don't go and make a choice that may hinder you in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not the rankings I said, it's the unquantifiable perception of King's. Something about it just stands out. Maybe you're right though. You know if adjustment is possible?

really really unlikely
Original post by baconwoo
really really unlikely

How do you know? I heard of someone getting into UCL Law via adjustment last year. Do they not participate in it at all?
How do you know? I heard of someone getting into UCL Law via adjustment last year. Do they not participate in it at all?

Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/KCL/Bristol/Durham and Nottingham (if I recall correctly) have not participated in clearing or adjustment for Law for the past few 10 years (Durham only entered once but that was an error on their part).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got rejected from King's a few days ago, so now I'm just waiting for my final choice to respond - Bristol. :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending